Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jaz

Default Trying to find a 3-48x1.5" machine screw

I'm trying to mount a pickup in a guitar. The screws supplied by the
manufacturer are 3-48x1.25" and are too short.

There are few fastener companies selling 3-48 screws to begin with but
I can't find anyone selling a 1.5" length.

Anyone know where I can get these?

Otherwise, I will have to buy a 4-40tpi tap and switch to 4-40 screws.
Those I can find in 1.5" lengths.

Jaz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Yeah, unpopular.
McMaster has 3-48 threaded rod (#98837A004, 3 ft, $2).
A nut epoxied/brazed on the end (or double-nutted) will give you the option
of nut-driving it or slotting it. You can grind/turn down the nuts nicely
for a less cobby appearance, as well.
Brass nuts would be nice, or even acorn nuts. Which you could also make
pretty easily from brass rod.

McM might have the screws as well, or can get them. They've gotten odd
sizes for me.
5-40 is also limited in sizes, as compared to 4-40.
732 329-3200
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"jaz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to mount a pickup in a guitar. The screws supplied by the
manufacturer are 3-48x1.25" and are too short.

There are few fastener companies selling 3-48 screws to begin with but
I can't find anyone selling a 1.5" length.

Anyone know where I can get these?

Otherwise, I will have to buy a 4-40tpi tap and switch to 4-40 screws.
Those I can find in 1.5" lengths.

Jaz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Oh yeah,
McM carries 4-40 acorn nuts in brass, nickel, chrome plate, which you could
epoxy on to the 3-48 rod, for a perty nice look. Or do your own nuts from
brass rod for a lower profile, etc.
They also carry knurled nuts, which may be of interest, in 2-56, 4-40, as
well as std 3-48 hex nuts in brass, ss.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Yeah, unpopular.
McMaster has 3-48 threaded rod (#98837A004, 3 ft, $2).
A nut epoxied/brazed on the end (or double-nutted) will give you the
option of nut-driving it or slotting it. You can grind/turn down the nuts
nicely for a less cobby appearance, as well.
Brass nuts would be nice, or even acorn nuts. Which you could also make
pretty easily from brass rod.

McM might have the screws as well, or can get them. They've gotten odd
sizes for me.
5-40 is also limited in sizes, as compared to 4-40.
732 329-3200
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"jaz" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm trying to mount a pickup in a guitar. The screws supplied by the
manufacturer are 3-48x1.25" and are too short.

There are few fastener companies selling 3-48 screws to begin with but
I can't find anyone selling a 1.5" length.

Anyone know where I can get these?

Otherwise, I will have to buy a 4-40tpi tap and switch to 4-40 screws.
Those I can find in 1.5" lengths.

Jaz

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hello Jaz;

I suspect that what you're really looking for is a metric M2.5 x 0.45,
which is almost the same size as a 3-48. I've never heard of 3-48
machine screws being used on pickups. You'd want a M2.5 x 0.45 x 40mm,
which is just over 1.5" long. That should be a lot easier to find than
a 3-48 x 1.5

Bruce Johnson
Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Co.
Burbank, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Be nice if there was a metric/inch screw substitution chart, as this type of
problem is not unusual. Could do one on a spreadsheet, I spose.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Jaz;

I suspect that what you're really looking for is a metric M2.5 x 0.45,
which is almost the same size as a 3-48. I've never heard of 3-48
machine screws being used on pickups. You'd want a M2.5 x 0.45 x 40mm,
which is just over 1.5" long. That should be a lot easier to find than
a 3-48 x 1.5

Bruce Johnson
Johnson's Extremely Strange Musical Instrument Co.
Burbank, CA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gb6491

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
Be nice if there was a metric/inch screw substitution chart, as this typeof
problem is not unusual. Could do one on a spreadsheet, I spose.

http://www.precisionscrewandbolt.com/metric.htm

Regards,
Greg

Hardinge Automatic Screw Machine ?s [email protected] Metalworking 6 February 2nd 06 11:59 PM
Lathe cross feed screw finally gettin bad enough to replace Koz Metalworking 4 July 30th 05 10:38 AM
Getting 120v Single Phase from 3 Phase [email protected] Metalworking 62 June 18th 05 08:23 PM
imperial grub screw BAH UK diy 1 August 27th 03 11:45 PM
Zanussi washing machine - blown program selector Mat UK diy 1 July 9th 03 01:09 AM