Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Contact Burnisher?

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:05:03 -0800, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

Couldn't you take the appropriate grade of crocus cloth or whatever,
folded over, an actual feeler gauge, and get the same effect?

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Note to self: polish points on electric blanket controller, before it
gets cold.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob May

Places that sell electronics stuff also usualy sell the tools. Radio Shack,
with it's new policiy of dropping all of the electronics parts won't
probably be a good place tho.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just use one of the emery boards sold for fingernails.

Yes its a bit rough but very light use seems to work ok.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Boris Mohar

wrote:

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Talk to your dentist. Thy have a narrow flexible strip wit two grades of
abrasives. While you are at it ask the to give you any worn down dental
picks. You'd be surprised what they throw out.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Damn, I thought those things had gone out with the Charleston! (and
points files)

Why don't you just throw out the whole stove and buy another one? What's
wrong with you? It's a disposable-products, consumption-driven, economy,
doncha know?

Unhappily consumers are now being considered just as disposable as the
products.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Gentry

wrote:

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Try
www.jensentools.com

Jonard Pocket Contact Burnishers
Part Numbers:
125-206 Burnisher w/flat blades
191-554 Burnisher w/ flat and round blades

They also sell just the blade refill packs

Regards

Bob
rgentry_at_oz_dot_net
_AT_ = @, _dot_ = . to eMail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 20:07:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, John
Husvar quickly quoth:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Damn, I thought those things had gone out with the Charleston! (and
points files)

Points files did, but burnishers are still in use in industrial
settings. Those $600 breakers and relays need TLC. I just didn't
want to pay $17 for a pen + $7.50 to ship it to me.

Why don't you just throw out the whole stove and buy another one? What's
wrong with you? It's a disposable-products, consumption-driven, economy,
doncha know?

I can't afford one due to high gasoline prices.
(Down to $2.42.9 today. Yippee!)

Unhappily consumers are now being considered just as disposable as the
products.

Sad as hell, isn't it?

I sent in my $5, so * http://www.diversify.com/stees.html
why haven't I been 'saved'? * Graphic Design - Humorous T-shirts
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

Larry Jaques wrote:

Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Damn, I thought those things had gone out with the Charleston! (and
points files)

Points files did, but burnishers are still in use in industrial
settings. Those $600 breakers and relays need TLC. I just didn't
want to pay $17 for a pen + $7.50 to ship it to me.

Yes, I know, just trying to be funny -- sorta.

I kept at least one in my toolbox and one in my wallet for years for
dressing contacts on the old drum switch sequencers.

Why don't you just throw out the whole stove and buy another one? What's
wrong with you? It's a disposable-products, consumption-driven, economy,
doncha know?

I can't afford one due to high gasoline prices.
(Down to $2.42.9 today. Yippee!)

I'm not sure what, but it's gotta say something that we can see gasoline
priced under $3 and think it's a good price.

Worse yet, I drive a 1990 E350 with the 7.3 diesel. Diesel's always
higher than gasoline around here.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much. The old thing still makes 20 mpg+
on the highway. Around town is a different story.

Unhappily consumers are now being considered just as disposable as the
products.

Sad as hell, isn't it?

Yea, verily!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Larry Jaques wrote:
Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Two days after reading your post our kitchen wall "Regulator" style
pendulum clock stopped at 5:20 AM.

It's about 25 years old and has a somewhat unusual movement, which dates
from just before inexpensive quartz clocks hit the market and took over.

The movement is essentially that of a spring wound tick-tock pendulum
clock, but instead of having to wind the clockspring by hand with a key,
there's a small PM motor powered by a single D cell battery which does
that job. (And the battery lasts 4 or 5 years.)

A simple mechanism, with a toggling action snaps a set of contacts
closed when the clock runs down a bit whereupon the motor run a few
seconds until the clockspring is fully wound and the contacts snap open.

Our clock stopped because the contacts in that "switch" were a little
burned and didn't connect when they sprung closed.

They were relatively easy to access and I used the striker strip from a
book of paper matches to burnish them with, a trick I'd learned a
zillion years ago. I followed up by running a folded strip of paper
through them to clean off any abrasive left on them

It's running like a clock again.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:11:18 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, Jeff
Wisnia quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Two days after reading your post our kitchen wall "Regulator" style
pendulum clock stopped at 5:20 AM.

Ain't no way you can hang that one on me, bud.

It's about 25 years old and has a somewhat unusual movement, which dates
from just before inexpensive quartz clocks hit the market and took over.

What, it lasted only 25 years between maintenances?

A simple mechanism, with a toggling action snaps a set of contacts
closed when the clock runs down a bit whereupon the motor run a few
seconds until the clockspring is fully wound and the contacts snap open.

Pretty cool.

Our clock stopped because the contacts in that "switch" were a little
burned and didn't connect when they sprung closed.

That'll do 'er.

They were relatively easy to access and I used the striker strip from a
book of paper matches to burnish them with, a trick I'd learned a
zillion years ago. I followed up by running a folded strip of paper
through them to clean off any abrasive left on them

It's running like a clock again.

That was timely. groan #2

I'm just going to have to break down and buy a set of the things.
I don't like mickey mousing electronics or electrical stuff
unless there's no way around it, and then it's only temporary.
I've used point files before, too, but replaced the points later.
Thanks for the tip, though.

-
In nature's infinite book of secrecy a little I can read. -Shakespeare
------
http://diversify.com Website Application & Database Development
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Hi Larry,

I worked in electronics repair for a good many years. Save
yourself some money and use some fine sandpaper. Usually
around 200-320 grit works great. If the contacts are really
burnt, you can file them (if you can get a small file in
between them, usually not) or use 60-100 grit. I have
burnishing tools and they are a waste of time. They do have
a use though, but not what you think. Read on.

Cut a narrow strip of sand paper, about 1/8-1/4 inch wide
and maybe 2-3 inches long. Now fold this in half and grab it
with a pair of hemostats. File or burnish away. When you're
happy that you've cleaned them up enough, follow up with a
piece of folded over (folded for rigidity) paper or better
yet thin cardboard (white card stock variety). Run the paper
through like the sandpaper and keep replacing it until it
comes out clean.

If you have a burnishing tool, slip the blade/abrasive part
out. Now use it sandwiched in between the sand paper you cut
out earlier with the hemostat clamping it all together.
Better yet cut the sandpaper the same width and length
(double so you can fold it over) as the burnishing blade.
This gives you an excellent stiff tool (grin) for cleaning
contacts with an abrasive surface that is replaceable.

I cleaned a lot of relays, contacts, switches... through the
years and this works good. Burnish tools only work if the
contact doesn't really need cleaning anyway. If they really
needed cleaning and you use a burnishing tool, you'll be
back in short order to do it again and again and again...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

when is it proper to use contact cleaner? komodore comrade Electronics Repair 2 July 25th 05 06:53 PM
Help! Interapid 312B-1 contact point questions Scott Metalworking 12 February 21st 05 05:41 PM
contact cement for solid shelf edging igor Woodworking 10 November 22nd 04 01:18 PM
Toronto area lumber? Pick Woodworking 4 November 20th 03 02:29 PM
contact cement question Mike in Mystic Woodworking 16 November 6th 03 06:31 PM