Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Default Contact Burnisher?

Larry Jaques wrote:
Where can I find one of those nice little pen-style electrical contact
burnishing pens (cheap), guys? Feeler-gauge types would be OK, too.

My 3-year old stove is making serious arcing sounds of late.

Two days after reading your post our kitchen wall "Regulator" style
pendulum clock stopped at 5:20 AM.

It's about 25 years old and has a somewhat unusual movement, which dates
from just before inexpensive quartz clocks hit the market and took over.

The movement is essentially that of a spring wound tick-tock pendulum
clock, but instead of having to wind the clockspring by hand with a key,
there's a small PM motor powered by a single D cell battery which does
that job. (And the battery lasts 4 or 5 years.)

A simple mechanism, with a toggling action snaps a set of contacts
closed when the clock runs down a bit whereupon the motor run a few
seconds until the clockspring is fully wound and the contacts snap open.

Our clock stopped because the contacts in that "switch" were a little
burned and didn't connect when they sprung closed.

They were relatively easy to access and I used the striker strip from a
book of paper matches to burnish them with, a trick I'd learned a
zillion years ago. I followed up by running a folded strip of paper
through them to clean off any abrasive left on them

It's running like a clock again.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia