Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

Default OT - Is Rush Limburg back on the happy pills?

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Hey, it pays the bills. How is Pat Robertson playing in the UK these days?

The real question is, how's he playin' in PA?

LOL.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

Hey, it pays the bills. How is Pat Robertson playing in the UK these

days?

The real question is, how's he playin' in PA?

LOL.

I had a perverse, but entreprenurial, thought about that a week or so ago.
Go over to Lancaster and have the Amish make some rag dolls with a few Pat
Robertson features. Then sell them in Dover as genuine Pat Robertson voodoo
dolls. You can get the pins somewhere else -- maybe at an S&M emporium in
Soho, or maybe Haiti.

Anyway, it's a small market, but you could get a good markup.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I had a perverse, but entreprenurial, thought about that a week or so ago.
Go over to Lancaster and have the Amish make some rag dolls with a few Pat
Robertson features. Then sell them in Dover as genuine Pat Robertson voodoo
dolls. You can get the pins somewhere else -- maybe at an S&M emporium in
Soho, or maybe Haiti.

Anyway, it's a small market, but you could get a good markup.

Small market, yah. But at the rate the fundies are self
destructing over this issue, it could be really big in
a little while.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
George Willer

In your (wet) dreams, Jim.

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I had a perverse, but entreprenurial, thought about that a week or so ago.
Go over to Lancaster and have the Amish make some rag dolls with a few Pat
Robertson features. Then sell them in Dover as genuine Pat Robertson
voodoo
dolls. You can get the pins somewhere else -- maybe at an S&M emporium in
Soho, or maybe Haiti.

Anyway, it's a small market, but you could get a good markup.

Small market, yah. But at the rate the fundies are self
destructing over this issue, it could be really big in
a little while.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I had a perverse, but entreprenurial, thought about that a week or so

ago.
Go over to Lancaster and have the Amish make some rag dolls with a few

Pat
Robertson features. Then sell them in Dover as genuine Pat Robertson

voodoo
dolls. You can get the pins somewhere else -- maybe at an S&M emporium in
Soho, or maybe Haiti.

Anyway, it's a small market, but you could get a good markup.

Small market, yah. But at the rate the fundies are self
destructing over this issue, it could be really big in
a little while.

Jim

Eh, don't count on the fundies self-destructing. They have bullet-proof
Jesus Loves Me bumper stickers, Holy Harmonicas, and enough plush junk and
rubberized dashboard doohickies to turn their rustbucket cars into
padded-cell assault vehicles. Some of them could take a Hummer head-on,
howling on their harmonicas like a Scottish brigade, bug-eyed and smiling as
they plow their cars into biology classrooms across the nation.

They have a lot of fight left in them. Don't count them out.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

"Ed Huntress" wrote

Eh, don't count on the fundies self-destructing. They have bullet-proof
Jesus Loves Me bumper stickers ...

Yeah, but _my_ favorite recent bumper sticker was:

"Jesus Helps Me Fool People"

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"tonyp" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

Eh, don't count on the fundies self-destructing. They have bullet-proof
Jesus Loves Me bumper stickers ...

Yeah, but _my_ favorite recent bumper sticker was:

"Jesus Helps Me Fool People"

That's a good one. I'll add it to my collection.

Two of my favorites, which were obviously home-made, we "Jesus Loves Me,
But He's Not Sure About You," and "God Is Driving This Car...because I'm
taking a nap."

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Eh, don't count on the fundies self-destructing. They have bullet-proof
Jesus Loves Me bumper stickers, Holy Harmonicas, and enough plush junk and
rubberized dashboard doohickies to turn their rustbucket cars into
padded-cell assault vehicles. Some of them could take a Hummer head-on,
howling on their harmonicas like a Scottish brigade, bug-eyed and smiling as
they plow their cars into biology classrooms across the nation.

They have a lot of fight left in them. Don't count them out.

"I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I've got my
plastic jesus, sitting on the dashboard of my car...

Goin' 90, it ain't scary, cause I've got that virgin
mary, sittin on the dashboard of my car."

Kansas is now the laughingstock of the world. In PA, aside
from the 'you're all going to hell' condemnation from pat
robertson, the earth is once again going around the sun.

The flat-earth folks will always lose, Ed. If they try
to live according to flat-earth theory, their wheels come
off soon enough.

I am reminded of what one (name withheld at his request) amish
father said asked what he was going to do since polio was
endemic in that part of PA where his community was - he replied
"don't quote me. But we're gonna have all the kids and all
the adults immunized. Also for DPT, and MMR."

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message

Kansas is now the laughingstock of the world. In PA, aside
from the 'you're all going to hell' condemnation from pat
robertson, the earth is once again going around the sun.

Everybody needs a place to take a holiday from reality. Some smart
entrepreneur ought to be able to come up with a theme park idea for Kansas
that would exploit their educational system. "The State That Time Forgot,"
or something like that.

The flat-earth folks will always lose, Ed. If they try
to live according to flat-earth theory, their wheels come
off soon enough.

OK, in the long run. In the short run, maybe they'll enjoy their notoriety.

I'm not getting too wrought up about it. I don't think it's a trend. It's a
curiosity. As you say, the wheels will come off of it eventually. Trying to
explain the Grand Canyon with 5,000 years of supernatural hydraulics is
going to keep them busy enough. As for Intelligent Design, let them try to
explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

The Designer works in strange ways. For example, malaria...

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

"Ed Huntress" wrote

... As for Intelligent Design, let them try to
explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

"Intelligent design" is, at best, a metaphor -- like Adam Smith's "invisible
hand". The difference is that Adam Smith was not such an idiot as to
confuse metaphor with explanation. Otherwise, "Wealth of Nations" would
have been a much shorter book :-)

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"tonyp" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

... As for Intelligent Design, let them try to
explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

"Intelligent design" is, at best, a metaphor -- like Adam Smith's

"invisible
hand". The difference is that Adam Smith was not such an idiot as to
confuse metaphor with explanation. Otherwise, "Wealth of Nations" would
have been a much shorter book :-)

Well, I think the ID folks really mean it--literally, rather than
metaphorically.

As for Smith, I think he meant it, too, except, of course, that the hand
itself was a metaphor.

Smith didn't anticipate oligopoly or the cocaine trade. Besides, in his
other life, he worked as a mercantilist advisor to the Crown. He had his
bases covered, obviously taking Pascal's Wager to heart. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I'm not getting too wrought up about it. I don't think it's a trend. It's a
curiosity. As you say, the wheels will come off of it eventually. Trying to
explain the Grand Canyon with 5,000 years of supernatural hydraulics is
going to keep them busy enough. As for Intelligent Design, let them try to
explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

Or for example, that it takes longer than that for a photon to
do a random walk through the sun, and escape to the surface. Yep,
it took longer for the light you see out your own window to get to
you, than they say the universe has been in existence.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I'm not getting too wrought up about it. I don't think it's a trend. It's

curiosity. As you say, the wheels will come off of it eventually. Trying

explain the Grand Canyon with 5,000 years of supernatural hydraulics is
going to keep them busy enough. As for Intelligent Design, let them try

explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

Or for example, that it takes longer than that for a photon to
do a random walk through the sun, and escape to the surface. Yep,
it took longer for the light you see out your own window to get to
you, than they say the universe has been in existence.

Jim

Aw, c'mon. Like, you've been there and actually *measured* it or something?
I mean, you can actually *see* a photon and clock it with a stopwatch?

That's too hard to believe. 'Must be intelligent design...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

I mean, you can actually *see* a photon ...

Um, yep.

:^)

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Ed Huntress says...

I mean, you can actually *see* a photon ...

Um, yep.

:^)

Jim

OK, Mr. Smartypants secular-scientist: how do you *get* to the Sun, to time
that photon? Huh? Huh? Answer that one, you God-forsaken satanist pinko...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
tonyp

"Ed Huntress" wrote

OK, Mr. Smartypants secular-scientist: how do you *get* to the Sun, to

time
that photon? Huh? Huh? Answer that one, you God-forsaken satanist pinko...

You go at night, when it's cooler.

-- TP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke

"tonyp" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

... As for Intelligent Design, let them try to
explain the lamprey eel or neocons.

"Intelligent design" is, at best, a metaphor -- like Adam Smith's

"invisible
hand". The difference is that Adam Smith was not such an idiot as to
confuse metaphor with explanation. Otherwise, "Wealth of Nations" would
have been a much shorter book :-)

-- TP

Whenever I hear anyone using the term "intelligent design" the first thing
that pops into my head is whose intelligent design. Well, obviously God's,
right? So what these people are saying is that even though we don't have any
proof, it just seem right that since the world seems so complicated it must
have been God who made it. Who else is powerful enough to have done it? They
can't think of any other explanation so it must have been God that did it.
It's sure is nice to have a catch all term like God to explain every
question there is no answer for. It must be very comforting to the simple
folk to have a neat explanation to life's mysteries. How sad for the rest of
us that have to rely on facts and reason to get by with.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"tonyp" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

OK, Mr. Smartypants secular-scientist: how do you *get* to the Sun, to

time
that photon? Huh? Huh? Answer that one, you God-forsaken satanist

pinko...

You go at night, when it's cooler.

-- TP

Damn, 'never thought of that...

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Hawke" wrote in message

"tonyp" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote

[...]

They'll pray for your enlightenment.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Hawke says...

Whenever I hear anyone using the term "intelligent design" the first thing
that pops into my head is whose intelligent design. Well, obviously God's,
right? So what these people are saying is that even though we don't have any
proof, it just seem right that since the world seems so complicated it must
have been God who made it. Who else is powerful enough to have done it? They
can't think of any other explanation so it must have been God that did it.

I LIKE that approach. OK, I'll bite.

If we're on track with the idea that there have to be root
causes for everything (like the universe) then:

Who made god? There must be a cause behind him. An uber-god?

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Hawke says...

Whenever I hear anyone using the term "intelligent design" the first

thing
that pops into my head is whose intelligent design. Well, obviously

God's,
right? So what these people are saying is that even though we don't have

any
proof, it just seem right that since the world seems so complicated it

must
have been God who made it. Who else is powerful enough to have done it?

They
can't think of any other explanation so it must have been God that did

it.

I LIKE that approach. OK, I'll bite.

If we're on track with the idea that there have to be root
causes for everything (like the universe) then:

Who made god? There must be a cause behind him. An uber-god?

I suppose you're aware that Bertrand Russell's father asked that question in
school, or maybe of his pastor, when he was a little boy and was being led
down the "first-cause" line of argument -- making himself very unpopular.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Hawke says...

[...]

No, just God's Daddy.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Ed Huntress says...

Who made god? There must be a cause behind him. An uber-god?

I suppose you're aware that Bertrand Russell's father asked that question in
school, or maybe of his pastor, when he was a little boy and was being led
down the "first-cause" line of argument -- making himself very unpopular.

Bertrand russell was also the eminent philosopher who first asked
the question:

"If god is omnipotent, can he make a rock so big he can't lift it?"

Jim

please reply to:

Gunner: I'm back Gunner Metalworking 388 July 9th 04 12:35 AM
Wood for Childrens Blocks Wyatt Wright Woodworking 15 April 7th 04 05:15 AM
Adventures in Loft-land [email protected] UK diy 9 January 16th 04 08:14 PM
SEASONS GREETINGS BLOCKS Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 2 September 8th 03 05:06 PM
Since I don't have any plans...whatsa best way to secure desk's back panel to side panels? (and other questions) Leon Woodworking 5 August 27th 03 04:08 AM