Randy Replogle

Default Your interesting projects???

What projects are you most proud of?
I once made some parts for a mini mass spectrometer to be carried onto
a battlefield, into a subway, etc. to detect poisonous gases, etc.
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine

Bill

The ones where the customer was truly impressed and at least "acted"
happy about the finished project. The last couple years for me have
left a bit of a sour taste as delivery became the paramount issue. Most
customers ask for status of the "part numbers". I've since had to
learn to "internally" look back and reflect on a job well done, the
customer (or even the owner) will not be so impressed as myself. The
running joke amongst the machinist and programmers at my previous
employer was," We don't make parts - we make part number". For fun.
when the owners would ask the status of a "part number" we'd give them
a print out of the number. (the owners were preveously non machinists).

For me though, it's probably some rocket injectors a couple years ago.
The customer's engineer came back a few weeks later with some video of
them under test. It was pretty cool to watch a 10" dia alum assembly
put out 20k lbs of thrust - a 10 foot long burn!

Mostly though, parts is parts.

--
Bill

Karl Townsend

What projects are you most proud of?

I'll speak for my kid. He made the world's supply of chest spreaders for
open heart surgery for quite a while. You'd best hope you get one of his
good ones if you go under the knife.

Karl

Charlie Gary

Karl Townsend wrote:
What projects are you most proud of?

I'll speak for my kid. He made the world's supply of chest spreaders for
open heart surgery for quite a while. You'd best hope you get one of his
good ones if you go under the knife.

Karl

He made bad ones? ;-)

Later,

Charlie

Garlicdude

wrote:

What projects are you most proud of?
I once made some parts for a mini mass spectrometer to be carried onto
a battlefield, into a subway, etc. to detect poisonous gases, etc.
Randy

Randy, the projsects that I am most proud of are the ones that i have
designed and built to completion. Three major projects that I have
designed and built are a machine to blow angioplasticy ballons, an 8
station indexing station for video inspection on electrical connectors,
and a retrofit of a Brown and Sharpe grinder with a CNC control to taper
grind guidewires for medical use.

On projects that require extensive electrical prowess I call the experts.

--
Regards,
Steve Saling
Karl Townsend

I'll speak for my kid. He made the world's supply of chest spreaders for
open heart surgery for quite a while. You'd best hope you get one of his
good ones if you go under the knife.

Karl

He made bad ones? ;-)

The people that got the bad ones never say anything. VBG

Karl

Charlie Gary

Karl Townsend wrote:
I'll speak for my kid. He made the world's supply of chest spreaders for
open heart surgery for quite a while. You'd best hope you get one of his
good ones if you go under the knife.

Karl

He made bad ones? ;-)

The people that got the bad ones never say anything. VBG

Karl

Damn. I need customers like that. :-)

Later,

Charlie

BottleBob

Randy Replogle wrote:

What projects are you most proud of?

Randy:

I don't know about most proud of, but I thought these were trick
items. I used to work as a machinist/propmaker for the studios for a
short period of time. I worked on a ray gun that lit up when fired for
the series Lois and Clark. I made a 1 1/2 times size golf club for the
Kevin Costner movie "Tin Cup". Made a full size working tank cannon
breech from scratch that you loaded 105 mm shells into (and it retracted
on slides with spring loaded cables and pulleys - simulating being
fired) for the Densel Washington movie "Courage Under Fire". That thing
was made out of wood, steel, aluminum, fiberglas, renshape, and two Ford
truck hood springs. LOL

If you go to Las Vegas and view the cars on display at the "Imperial
Palace" they have a "Hitler Car" with two rear axles. I did a lot of
machining of the engine/trans/and steering mounts, brackets, trim parts,
etc. when the place I worked at copied a "real" Hitler car and made 4
copies.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
SteveB

"BottleBob" wrote

If you go to Las Vegas and view the cars on display at the "Imperial
Palace" they have a "Hitler Car" with two rear axles. I did a lot of
machining of the engine/trans/and steering mounts, brackets, trim parts,
etc. when the place I worked at copied a "real" Hitler car and made 4
copies.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

I did the trailer display that hauls the car around. The fold down walkways
and handrailing and stairs.

I also did the handrails on the #13 parking lot at Hoover Dam.

Steve

BottleBob

SteveB wrote:

"BottleBob" wrote

If you go to Las Vegas and view the cars on display at the "Imperial
Palace" they have a "Hitler Car" with two rear axles. I did a lot of
machining of the engine/trans/and steering mounts, brackets, trim parts,
etc. when the place I worked at copied a "real" Hitler car and made 4
copies.

I did the trailer display that hauls the car around. The fold down walkways
and handrailing and stairs.

Steve:

Now that's quite a coincidence! Us both working on different parts of
the same project. My input was over 10 years ago. And I'm not even
sure the display is still active, I heard that Imperial Palace was
receiving some minor heat over displaying the Hitler car.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
SteveB

"BottleBob" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

"BottleBob" wrote

[...]

Not sure about displaying the Hitler car, but Mr. Englestad got in big
trouble from the Nevada Gaming Commission for having Nazi parties.
Uniforms, arm bands, and all. They were private, but someone talked. He
was fined $1.5 million. He was quirky, opinionated, and one of the rudest
people I ever did work for. IIRC, he is now deceased.

You can read about him at:

http://www.nationalvanguard.org/story.php?id=921

Steve

Mike

Built some very nice thick aluminum square tubing into soccer goals and
donated them to a small town park. Anchored them with trailer anchors to
prevent vandalism. Sure was proud when I walked out there the first night
and it was all lit up. Still there 6 years and going.

City couldn't even get the poles for the lights. Had to seek donations and
met a lot of nice people who did their best to make it happen.

Side note: city had an engineer determine we needed 60ft poles to properly
light the field. Took a while to locate them. Had them set to the city's
specs. Then when it came time to place the lights the city didn't have a
boom to go that high so they put them up at about 30feet.