Mike Martin

Default Miller O/A torch questions

So I talked to the customer support people for Miller torches, a nice guy
in the service department said if I sent him a photo of my unidentified
torch and cutting head he would let me know what it was so I could get the
right mixer and tips for welding. I told him it was probably old since I
got it when my uncle passed away... he assured me they make parts for even
the obsolete stuff.

I sauntered out to the shed and took said photos, sent them to him, and
got a quick answer back. "We don't make that model anymore, it's been
obsolete for at least 20 years".

I emailed him back to see if he could at least tell me the model # so I
could look for NOS and used stuff maybe... he never answered me. *sigh*

My yahoo photos has some pics of the handle and cutting attachment. There
are NO model #'s, letters, numbers, or symbols of ANY kind on the thing,
except where you screw on the hose and one side says "gas" and the other
side says "Ox". Some pics are posted at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ld_hro...r=18fe&.src=ph

Or http://tinyurl.com/ace23

In that pic of the handle I have the end covered with some masking tape
(to keep dirt and crap out) so it doesn't show the threads, I can take
another pic if needed.

Also, today when trying to cut some stuff I got a flame out of the
junction between the silver tube and the brass head of the cutting
attachment. I shut it off smartly and looked at it, it seems the joint is
failing there, how easy is this to repair? I think this is just silver
soldered isn't it?

Thanks for any help!
Mike in Warrensburg

Mike Martin

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:23:51 -0600, Mike Martin wrote:

So I talked to the customer support people for Miller torches, a nice guy

Dammit.. I mean Harris of course. I'm having a brain dead day.

Mike
(and yes, I know that is a Victor tip sitting next to the Harris cutting
attachment. I got a box of tips at an auction and they were all Victor, of
course I have a HARRIS torch. (got them before I got the torch even,
because I wanted the helmet and soapstone pencils) for cheap)

R. Zimmerman

I like Harris torches. I expect you can still get tips. If a silver
soldered joint is leaking like you describe you will have to get it serviced
at a torch repair center. If you drop it off at your local welding supplier
he will send it to a repair service. To avoid the middle man I would look
around for a outfit that services torches and nothing else.
They will tell you if the cost is excessive. Sometimes torches and
regulators are not worth repairing since you can purchase a new one for
less,
Randy

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
news So I talked to the customer support people for Miller torches, a nice guy
[...]

Keith Marshall

I sauntered out to the shed and took said photos, sent them to him, and
got a quick answer back. "We don't make that model anymore, it's been
obsolete for at least 20 years".

That's odd considering how much it looks like this brand new one for sale on
eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lincoln-Elec...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, today when trying to cut some stuff I got a flame out of the
junction between the silver tube and the brass head of the cutting
attachment. I shut it off smartly and looked at it, it seems the joint is
failing there, how easy is this to repair? I think this is just silver
soldered isn't it?

I don't know how it's attached and I'm hardly an expert on the subject but I
wouldn't trust it. I would either take it to a repair shop or I'd buy a new
head. They're not that expensive especially on eBay if you know which one
you need. The diameter of the tourch handle is probably enough to be sure
you're getting the right one.

Maybe this one?

Or you can pick up a whole new torch since any standard torch will connect
to your hoses and regulators. They should have standard "B" connectors that
will fit Victor, Harris, Airco, Generico or even any of the cheap chinese
import Victor clones.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

[...]

Vernon

Mike,

I think I have some goodies for that very torch. Some time ago, on
ebay, I bought a "lot" of welding supplies that included these items.
Provided I can find the stuff and you can use it, I'd probably be
willing to trade it to you for a can of pork and beans.

I'm not sure I have the torch body. But I'm nearly sure I have the
cutting attachment and some tips for it.

Is the cutting attachment the part that's leaking??

Vernon

Mike Martin

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 21:43:19 -0800, Vernon wrote:

Mike,

I think I have some goodies for that very torch. Some time ago, on
ebay, I bought a "lot" of welding supplies that included these items.
Provided I can find the stuff and you can use it, I'd probably be
willing to trade it to you for a can of pork and beans.

I was hitting the local auctions and sales myself. I've pretty much
stopped buying on Ebay because too many sellers charge $40 shipping to
make up for selling something $30 cheaper than I can buy it locally.

I'm not sure I have the torch body. But I'm nearly sure I have the
cutting attachment and some tips for it.

Is the cutting attachment the part that's leaking??

Yes, specifically where one of the triple tubes meets the torch head. The
torch body itself is fine as far as I can tell, except I have no mixer or
tips for it.

Let me know if you find that stuff and what you think it's worth.

Thanks!
Mike
Mike Martin

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 03:51:04 +0000, R. Zimmerman wrote:

I like Harris torches. I expect you can still get tips. If a silver

I expect I could get tips if I had the mixer, but without the mixer I'm
limited to cutting stuff (which would be tolerable if I could get my
electrical upgrade done so I could use my stick welder)

soldered joint is leaking like you describe you will have to get it
serviced at a torch repair center. If you drop it off at your local
welding supplier he will send it to a repair service. To avoid the
middle man I would look around for a outfit that services torches and
nothing else.
They will tell you if the cost is excessive. Sometimes torches and
regulators are not worth repairing since you can purchase a new one for
less,
Randy

There's something though, I have a friend that is a silversmith and I
KNOW he could silver solder this head back on, assuming that would be a
safe thing to do. If I had a decent heatsource I think *I* could actually
repair it, I'm just not sure if it's a simple silver soldering job as I
suspect it is and wanted to see if someone could tell me that might know.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Martin

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 04:42:03 +0000, Keith Marshall wrote:

I sauntered out to the shed and took said photos, sent them to him, and
got a quick answer back. "We don't make that model anymore, it's been
obsolete for at least 20 years".

That's odd considering how much it looks like this brand new one for sale on
eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Lincoln-Elec...QQcmdZViewItem

I looked, they had a link to the original item at Sears, it has a zoomed
picture, they are similar but not the same. If I had the extra C note I'd
just go to the local welding supply and get a new torch body and cutting
attachment that I could get new tips for but I'm on a fairly tight budget.
(interestingly, the cutting attachment I have uses tips I can buy new
still, they are standard 6290-# tips (I have a #1 in it))

I don't know how it's attached and I'm hardly an expert on the subject
but I wouldn't trust it. I would either take it to a repair shop or I'd
buy a new head. They're not that expensive especially on eBay if you
know which one you need. The diameter of the tourch handle is probably
enough to be sure you're getting the right one.

If I had a model # for this torch body it might well be that easy, but
when I asked the guy at Harris he never replied. I'm going to send him a
reminder email I think.

Or you can pick up a whole new torch since any standard torch will
connect to your hoses and regulators. They should have standard "B"
connectors that will fit Victor, Harris, Airco, Generico or even any of
the cheap chinese import Victor clones.

I have a bunch of Victor cutting tips so I might just see about picking
up an inexpensive Victor or clone...

Thanks!
Mike
Vernon

That is almost definitely the tip I have.

As to how much I think it's worth... I already told ya... a can of pork
and beans.

The trick will be finding it. During Rita, the hurricane that wasn't,
we moved to another house. Our world hasn't been the same since.

VT

Grant Erwin

Mike Martin wrote:

.. I've pretty much
stopped buying on Ebay because too many sellers charge $40 shipping to
make up for selling something $30 cheaper than I can buy it locally.

I have started sending a question to sellers asking politely if they are willing
to ship via USPS Priority Mail flat rate envelopes, always adding that I know it
costs them gas money to go to the post office, etc. About 1 or 2 times out of 10
they say OK, about 1 more time out of 10 they agree to drop egregious shipping
rates a few bucks. Certainly worth an email.

GWE

Mike Martin

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:38:43 -0800, Vernon wrote:

That is almost definitely the tip I have.

Man, that would be spiff.

As to how much I think it's worth... I already told ya... a can of pork
and beans.

As I can't tolerate pork and beans I'm fairly sure my missus can part
with one of her cans for me!

The trick will be finding it. During Rita, the hurricane that wasn't,
we moved to another house. Our world hasn't been the same since.

Whew... glad you didn't get hurricaned but I can sympathize with moving.
I moved four times last year (I was renting, moved to another rental for
two months to finish out my job, then moved to a spare room at my parents
while my house was closing, then moved to the new house... I'm STILL
looking for most of my tools).

Mike
Leo Lichtman

"Mike Martin" wrote: (clip) I'm just not sure if it's a simple silver
soldering job as I suspect it is and wanted to see if someone could tell me
that might know.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have silver soldered a large rosebud assembly to a threaded fitting to fit
my torch butt, and it works just fine.

herman munster

Mike,

That torch may be a Harris 63-2. Google around and crossreference the mixer,
maybe an E-43.

I think a 43-2 Handle is a super duty version of a 63-2. A 63-2 torch
might be like a 18-5 without the gas saver.

I don't think a 63-2 is made by Harris anymore, but the 18-5 and the 43-2
are.

My details may be fuzzy but you can probably track this all down.

Mark

"Mike Martin" wrote in message
news

I emailed him back to see if he could at least tell me the model # so I
could look for NOS and used stuff maybe... he never answered me. *sigh*

My yahoo photos has some pics of the handle and cutting attachment. There
are NO model #'s, letters, numbers, or symbols of ANY kind on the thing,
except where you screw on the hose and one side says "gas" and the other
side says "Ox". Some pics are posted at:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ld_hro...r=18fe&.src=ph

Or http://tinyurl.com/ace23

Mike Martin

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:57:51 +0000, herman munster wrote:

Mike,

That torch may be a Harris 63-2. Google around and crossreference the mixer,
maybe an E-43.

Well, looking on the websites it tells me a 63-2 handle is 9.75 inches,
mine is 9 inches even.

Looks to me like 7 threads in the 3/8th inch threaded section at the top,
and the diameter is a hair over 3/4 inch (OD, at the threads)

I'm also going to try emailing the guy at Harris again and seeing if he
will pin down a model #. Maybe he intended to answer me but forgot...

Thanks for everyone's help!
Mike