Bob Engelhardt

Default Keyless chucks for hand drills

I'd like to get a good keyless chuck for a hand drill. By "good", I
mean one that won't slip when drilling. I have several different
chucks, including a Jacobs "Hand Tite", and they all slip.

The latest Milwaukee drills have good chucks, but they require a locking
spindle, 'cause they just have a single sleeve.

A friend has a Craftsman 19.2v cordless with a chuck that holds and I
can get it from Sears parts, but I was wondering if there are any other
good ones that you guys like.

Bob

Oh, it has to have 3/8-24 (female) mount and preferably 3/8 capacity.
Karl Townsend

I'd like to get a good keyless chuck for a hand drill. By "good", I
mean one that won't slip when drilling. I have several different chucks,
including a Jacobs "Hand Tite", and they all slip.

IMHO, there ain't such a thing. I pulled the keyless chuck off the Dewault
18V drill I just bought and tossed it. Put a good Jacobs key one on.

I've seen good keyless chucks for a drill press, but they a WAY better made
and too heavy for a hand drill.

Karl

Bob Chilcoat

That's interesting. I was just using my son's new 18 V Dewalt DC987, and
was really impressed that someone had finally come up with a keyless chuck
that works. The drill shaft locks somehow, so that you can really put some
torque on the tightening sleeve. Seems to work really well, even with a 2"
hole saw. I'm surprised you didn't like yours.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply wrote
in message link.net...

IMHO, there ain't such a thing. I pulled the keyless chuck off the Dewault
18V drill I just bought and tossed it. Put a good Jacobs key one on.

Karl

woodworker88

This is an interesting topic, because on larger machinery such as the
clausing drill press and the excello knee mill our shop has, both have
jacobs keyless chucks, even though the mill one has a 5/8" capacity.
In fact, I did some work with CNC tooling and it too had a high-quality
keyless chuck. I think that 1) these are high quality chucks (they
aren't cheap either) and 2)the machines these are used on run slower
with better quality drill bits, so slippage isn't as much of an issue.
If you think about it, a drill chuck in a drill press has less leverage
when you tighten it by hand then when you take a cordless drill and
hold onto the chuck with one hand and gun it.

Leo Lichtman

I would like to see a "keyless" chuck that has provision for using a key
when needed for full tightness.

Bob Engelhardt

woodworker88 wrote:

This is an interesting topic, because on larger machinery such as the
clausing drill press and the excello knee mill our shop has, both have
jacobs keyless chucks, even though the mill one has a 5/8" capacity.
In fact, I did some work with CNC tooling and it too had a high-quality
keyless chuck. I think that 1) these are high quality chucks (they
aren't cheap either) and 2)the machines these are used on run slower
with better quality drill bits, so slippage isn't as much of an issue.
If you think about it, a drill chuck in a drill press has less leverage
when you tighten it by hand then when you take a cordless drill and
hold onto the chuck with one hand and gun it.

The thing about drill/mill chucks: they're big & heavy, they're
expensive, and they don't have 3/8-24 threaded mounts. Bob
Mike Henry

Ditto - I have the 18 V Dewalt drill with 1/2" keyless chuck and it has
enough torque to nearly break my wrist but I don't think I've ever spun a
bit in it.

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
That's interesting. I was just using my son's new 18 V Dewalt DC987, and
was really impressed that someone had finally come up with a keyless chuck
that works. The drill shaft locks somehow, so that you can really put
some torque on the tightening sleeve. Seems to work really well, even
with a 2" hole saw. I'm surprised you didn't like yours.

"Karl Townsend" remove .NOT to reply
wrote in message
link.net...

IMHO, there ain't such a thing. I pulled the keyless chuck off the
Dewault 18V drill I just bought and tossed it. Put a good Jacobs key one
on.

Karl

DeepDiver

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

The thing about drill/mill chucks: they're big & heavy, they're expensive,
and they don't have 3/8-24 threaded mounts. Bob

That, and you'll cry like a baby as soon as you scrape up your
hand-drill-mounted Albrecht chuck while trying to drill a hole close to some
rough brick, concrete, or other construction hazard.

DLGlos

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:08:19 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

The thing about drill/mill chucks: they're big & heavy, they're expensive,
and they don't have 3/8-24 threaded mounts. Bob

That, and you'll cry like a baby as soon as you scrape up your
hand-drill-mounted Albrecht chuck while trying to drill a hole close to some
rough brick, concrete, or other construction hazard.

Don't buy and Albrecht then.

A few months back, on a fluke, I bought a 1/2" Rohm keyless (J33
taper) from Enco to replace the crappy Chinese model on my mill/drill.
For $65, it is far far better than I expected, and even has a hole for
a spanner if you are looking for extra tight. I'm sure the Albrecht is
better, but the Rohm made me happy.

Might check Enco and see if Rohm makes one for your application.

Scratch that last thought, I just checked Enco's site and the smallest
Rohm keyless in a thread mount is 1/2"-20. Too bad as they are fairly
reasonable at $55.

David Glos
Gunner

wrote:

[...]

I ah..er..have about 10 or so Rohem and Albrecht chucks of various
sizes..and I seldom use them. They take up way too much Z axis space
on my mills, wont hold a tap for **** etc.

They are ok on the drill presses..shrug. though even the Albrects seem
to not hold a 3/4" shank on a bit larger than 1". I have some big
ones...and some small ones....and some in the middle.....

So I use the ball bearing Jacobs most of the time.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Nick Müller

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I'd like to get a good keyless chuck for a hand drill.

Albrecht is the answer.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Bob Engelhardt

Nick Müller wrote:
Albrecht is the answer.

In addition to a cost of $multi-hundred (yeah, I know: you get what you
pay for), in 3/8-24 mount they only go to 5/16 capacity. Bob
Nick Müller

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

In addition to a cost of $multi-hundred (yeah, I know: you get what you
pay for), in 3/8-24 mount they only go to 5/16 capacity. Bob

The second answer would be "Röhm".
The third answer would be "Jacobs"
The forth answer would be "keep your old one" :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Martin H. Eastburn

One note that many don't know - the instructions say to tighten completely
with your hand. That is with the drill turned off. So many zip the drill
in by pulling the trigger. This breaks down the locking area and the chuck fails.

I've been doing it that way ever since I read the manual - on my new drill :-)
and it has been very good in holding drills in jamming and tight metal or wood.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life