Gunner

Default Keyless chucks for hand drills

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:04:43 -0400, DLGlos wrote:

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 09:08:19 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

The thing about drill/mill chucks: they're big & heavy, they're expensive,
and they don't have 3/8-24 threaded mounts. Bob

That, and you'll cry like a baby as soon as you scrape up your
hand-drill-mounted Albrecht chuck while trying to drill a hole close to some
rough brick, concrete, or other construction hazard.

Don't buy and Albrecht then.

A few months back, on a fluke, I bought a 1/2" Rohm keyless (J33
taper) from Enco to replace the crappy Chinese model on my mill/drill.
For $65, it is far far better than I expected, and even has a hole for
a spanner if you are looking for extra tight. I'm sure the Albrecht is
better, but the Rohm made me happy.

Might check Enco and see if Rohm makes one for your application.

Scratch that last thought, I just checked Enco's site and the smallest
Rohm keyless in a thread mount is 1/2"-20. Too bad as they are fairly
reasonable at $55.

David Glos

I ah..er..have about 10 or so Rohem and Albrecht chucks of various
sizes..and I seldom use them. They take up way too much Z axis space
on my mills, wont hold a tap for **** etc.

They are ok on the drill presses..shrug. though even the Albrects seem
to not hold a 3/4" shank on a bit larger than 1". I have some big
ones...and some small ones....and some in the middle.....

So I use the ball bearing Jacobs most of the time.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner