handysmurf

Default Metal Chair repair

OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

Jeff Wisnia

handysmurf wrote:
OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

If you've got a whole lot of time and patience you could probably pick
away at it with a carbide burr in a Dremel and get it and the extractor
out that way. You might have to retap for the next larger fastener or
Helicoil the hole to get the original thread size back again if you
remove too much of the original hole threads.

If the whole arm is metal, and you can remove it from the rest of the
chair you could try and find a cooperative machine shop with EDM
capability and have them "burn it out".

Knowing what a great gang of guys inhabit this newsgroup, I'd hazard a
guess that someone would be willing to have a go at doing that for you
gratis if you'd stand the shipping costs.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

RAM^3

"handysmurf" wrote in
ups.com:

OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

1. Use a smaller-diameter carbide masonery bit to drill a pilot hole in the
extractor.

2. Use a sheetmetal screw to unscrew the extractor.

3. Use a new extractor to remove the bolt.
Eric R Snow

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 18:47:29 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

handysmurf wrote:
[...]

Greetings Jeff,
That's a good idea! Easyouts are as hard-and as brittle-as glass.
Removing one of them without the proper tools is a huge pain in the
butt. I will now volunteer to repair the part for free. But the
shipping needs to be paid both ways.
Eric R Snow,
E T Precision Machine
handysmurf

Thank you very much but shipping would be prohibitive. The whole base
and arms are welded to make one piece. So the size alone would be
somewhere in the neighborhood of a 4' cube.

Sounds like my best option at this point is to drill it out and tap a
larger hole....

handysmurf

the extractor itself is only about 3/16" so no drilling a pilot hole
.... lol

Leo Lichtman

"handysmurf" wrote: Any Ideas folks??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Do you have access to an acetylene torch? I would heat it red hot, and then
cool it slowly, to anneal it. Then it ought to be soft enough to drill. Or
blast it with a cutting torch, and then weld in a new threaded sleeve of
some sort (something like a coupler nut.)

Leo Lichtman

"handysmurf" wrote: Thank you very much but shipping would be prohibitive.
(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why don't you give your location--a helpful person with the right equipment
may not be too far away.

Christopher Tidy

RAM^3 wrote:
"handysmurf" wrote in
ups.com:

OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

1. Use a smaller-diameter carbide masonery bit to drill a pilot hole in the
extractor.

2. Use a sheetmetal screw to unscrew the extractor.

3. Use a new extractor to remove the bolt.

If you do get the bolt out without damaging the thread, you might want
to replace the bolt with a high tensile bolt to reduce the chance of the
failure occuring again.

Chris

handysmurf

atlanta

John Martin

handysmurf wrote:
OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

The extractor is too hard to drill except with carbide.

It sounds as though you can get to to the other end of the bolt. If
so, drill the bolt until you hit the extractor, then knock it out with
a pin punch. Then you can drill larger until you hit threads, or try
the trick with the jewelers saw. It will be slow, but should work.

John Martin

KJ

Roger Shoaf

"RAM^3" wrote in message
21...
"handysmurf" wrote in
ups.com:
1. Use a smaller-diameter carbide masonery bit to drill a pilot hole in

the
extractor.

Have you ever tried to drill hardened steel with a masonery bit?

Have you ever tried to do this freehand on a char handle?

2. Use a sheetmetal screw to unscrew the extractor.

If you have deilled a hole in a piece of hardened steel were you ever
sucessfull in using a sheet metal screw to grab in a hole drilled into a
chunk of hardened steel?

3. Use a new extractor to remove the bolt.

How may extractors are you going to sacrifice before you go to plan "B"?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

RAM^3

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message

"RAM^3" wrote in message
21...
"handysmurf" wrote in
ups.com:
1. Use a smaller-diameter carbide masonery bit to drill a pilot hole in

the
extractor.

Have you ever tried to drill hardened steel with a masonery bit?

Yep!

It worked well for what I needed it for.

Not exactly a "precision" bit, but CHEAP!

Have you ever tried to do this freehand on a char handle?

Dunno about "chars", but if the OP was able to drill the bolt freehand,
drilling the extractor won't be any more difficult.

Slower, perhaps, but no more difficult.

2. Use a sheetmetal screw to unscrew the extractor.

If you have deilled a hole in a piece of hardened steel were you ever
sucessfull in using a sheet metal screw to grab in a hole drilled into a
chunk of hardened steel?

All that is needed is for the taper of the sheetmetal screw to enable it to
jam against the side wall of the drilled hole.

The purpose of the sheetmetal screw is to be an extractor extractor. G

3. Use a new extractor to remove the bolt.

How may extractors are you going to sacrifice before you go to plan "B"?

2: The broken [perhaps defective] one and, if too much force is applied, a
replacement.

--

Roger Shoaf

About the time I had mastered getting the toothpaste back in the tube,
then
they come up with this striped stuff.

RAM^3

"handysmurf" wrote in message
oups.com...
the extractor itself is only about 3/16" so no drilling a pilot hole
... lol

In which case, use the carbide bit [they're available in that size] to drill
out the extractor.