Jeff Wisnia

Default Metal Chair repair

handysmurf wrote:
OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

KJ

If you've got a whole lot of time and patience you could probably pick
away at it with a carbide burr in a Dremel and get it and the extractor
out that way. You might have to retap for the next larger fastener or
Helicoil the hole to get the original thread size back again if you
remove too much of the original hole threads.

If the whole arm is metal, and you can remove it from the rest of the
chair you could try and find a cooperative machine shop with EDM
capability and have them "burn it out".

Knowing what a great gang of guys inhabit this newsgroup, I'd hazard a
guess that someone would be willing to have a go at doing that for you
gratis if you'd stand the shipping costs.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)