John Martin

Default Metal Chair repair

handysmurf wrote:
OK ... this should be simple enough.... thats what I thought...

My Husband has one of those metal reclining chairs with the ottoman in
the living room...

One of the bolts broke off that holds the back to the arm...

We got a bolt extractor which has now broken off...

I though maybe if I cut that off and drilled the hole back out I could
thread a jewlers saw blade through and cut the bolt in quarters and
then pry them out.... but I'm not sure I could drill through that
extractor.

Any Ideas folks??

thanks in advance......

The extractor is too hard to drill except with carbide.

It sounds as though you can get to to the other end of the bolt. If
so, drill the bolt until you hit the extractor, then knock it out with
a pin punch. Then you can drill larger until you hit threads, or try
the trick with the jewelers saw. It will be slow, but should work.

John Martin

KJ