John P.

Default Online Sources for Powder (coatings)

Once again, I must come to the well of collective knowledge. :-)

I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder
coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon,
but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of suppliers in the DFW area it would
be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again, in advance,

John P.
granpaw

John P. wrote:

Once again, I must come to the well of collective knowledge. :-)

I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder
coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon,
but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of suppliers in the DFW area it would
be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again, in advance,

John P.

Through the internet and catalog sales you can get any of the powder
coatings from "eastwood"...tools too.
I would hazard a guess at http://www.eastwood.com or google is your friend.
just an old guy.

Gary Brady

John P. wrote:
I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder
coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon,
but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

snip
John P.

There's www.eastwoodco.com (expensive), www.pendrypowdercoatings.com,
www.columbiacoatings.com , and www.caswellplating.com to name a few.
I've bought from Eastwood and Columbia. Can't speak for Pendry. Caswell
site has nice forums. Also, probably others on ebay, and you could try
Google.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com
Steve W.

Sherwin Williams Industrial stores can get you their powders in 50 pound
boxes. Morton Powders will sell to non industrial coaters. Ferro will
sell to non industrials BUT your limited to 200 pound drums. Many
places will also sell you "Sample batches" of powder for you to base a
larger order for. Ferro, and Morton use 10 pound samples of common
colors and 5 pound cans of the high end colors.

What do you have as a booth and oven?
What brand of gun?

--
Steve Williams

"John P." wrote in message
Once again, I must come to the well of collective knowledge. :-)

I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder
coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon,
but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of suppliers in the DFW area it would
be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again, in advance,

John P.

James Lerch

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 03:27:47 GMT, Gary Brady
wrote:

There's www.eastwoodco.com (expensive), www.pendrypowdercoatings.com,
www.columbiacoatings.com , and www.caswellplating.com to name a few.
I've bought from Eastwood and Columbia. Can't speak for Pendry. Caswell
site has nice forums. Also, probably others on ebay, and you could try
Google.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
www.powdercoatoven.4t.com

I've used www.columbiacoatings.com with excellent results, so I'd
second Gary's suggestion.

Take Care,
James Lerch
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm (My telescope construction, Testing, and Coating site)
http://lerch.no-ip.com/ChangFa_Gen (My 15Kw generator project)
Press on: nothing in the world can take the place of perseverance.
Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
Calvin Coolidge

Mawdeeb

John P. wrote:
Once again, I must come to the well of collective knowledge. :-)

I would appreciate referrals to sites that offer powder, for powder
coating. I just bought a gun and intend to do a little coating soon,
but I don't know of any suppliers to purchase the powder from.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of suppliers in the DFW area it would
be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks again, in advance,

John P.

Harbor Freight carriers 4 colors in 8oz cans. Black , white, red, and
yellow. About $10 a can.

Jim Vrzal
Holiday,Fl.
John P.

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 00:35:11 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

What do you have as a booth and oven?
What brand of gun?

Well, I should start by saying that I have a guy that has done all of
my powder coating for me. He is quite good and that is all he does.

Having said that, sometimes I have small things that it would make
sense if I just did them myself... so, I just purchased the new Sears
powder coating gun
(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=00 917288000)
and was planning on an infrared heater. I must say that the one at
Columbia Coatings
(http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1152...5erfrg5467.htm)
looks very nice.

As far as a booth is concerned, I don't have one. Was planning on
just shooting it in my garage and using some sort of a drop cloth to
provide a backdrop and then vacuum up the remnants.

Again, if I get anything substantial to do I'll take it to my pro. But
hopefully no one sees any issues with me doing small, non-complex
stuff at home in my garage?

Thanks,

John P.
Steve W.

wrote:

What do you have as a booth and oven?
What brand of gun?

Well, I should start by saying that I have a guy that has done all of
my powder coating for me. He is quite good and that is all he does.

Having said that, sometimes I have small things that it would make
sense if I just did them myself... so, I just purchased the new Sears
powder coating gun

(http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...Yes&vertical=T
OOL&pid=00917288000)

(http://www.columbiacoatings.com/1152...45erfrg5467.ht
m)
looks very nice.

As far as a booth is concerned, I don't have one. Was planning on
just shooting it in my garage and using some sort of a drop cloth to
provide a backdrop and then vacuum up the remnants.

Again, if I get anything substantial to do I'll take it to my pro. But
hopefully no one sees any issues with me doing small, non-complex
stuff at home in my garage?

Thanks,

John P.

Not a problem except you will lose a lot of powder into the air. Make
sure there are no open flames or sparks, powder in the air can ignite
like fuel or many other dusts. Spent 12 years doing powder and liquid
and have seen powder ignite twice. Once out of the gun (acted like a
flame thrower) and once when a reclaim flashed (blew the filters off and
knocked the guy out of the booth).
I would knock together a small booth (or cheat and find an older
tub/surround and use it) just to keep the powder out of the air. Plus if
you wipe the walls down with a dry cloth before you coat the parts you
can then wipe the extra powder down and reuse it. Infrared is Ok but you
have to keep turning the part to ensure even curing of the powder.

Keep in mind that there are two things that make a good powder coat. The
item MUST be VERY clean, sandblasting prior to coating is best unless it
has thin metal that will warp. The temperature for curing must be kept
VERY stable or the powder will damage easily.

Any online sources for replacing windows? Ross Durston Home Repair 2 August 14th 05 02:13 AM
Online Relationship Survey susuye Woodworking 0 June 2nd 05 05:46 PM
Any Online Sources? Don Woodworking 8 March 21st 05 07:07 PM
Online Sheet-Metal Layout Center Opens Andrew Metalworking 0 July 9th 04 03:28 PM
Determining Geologic Sources of Native American Copper Yuri Kuchinsky Metalworking 92 June 23rd 04 05:21 PM