Default Invitation to a pictorial tour of my New Shop!

Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've posted to this group. Just finished
moving to a new shop and thought people might be interested. You can
see the pictorial tour at:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/ejbco.htm

It sure is nice to get out of the barn! Comments and questions are
welcome.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Thanks Wayne. Yep, white would not have been my first color choice for
a machine shop. But, this is the color they chose before I moved in.
Who am I to disagree (especially if it will cost me a bunch of time and
money!). I really wanted to get pictures taken before it turned to
grunge grey.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Brian Lawson

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:26:16 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"
wrote:

Wonderful shop tour. Thank you!
(Looks more like a hospital for just how clean and white it is!)

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've posted to this group. Just finished
moving to a new shop and thought people might be interested. You can
see the pictorial tour at:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/ejbco.htm

It sure is nice to get out of the barn! Comments and questions are
welcome.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Hey Ed,

Yep!! What Wayne said. Only trouble with showing stuff like that to
me is that there now is no way I'd ever show my shops to you guys!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario
Ted Cummings

wrote in message
roups.com...
Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've posted to this group. Just finished
moving to a new shop and thought people might be interested. You can
see the pictorial tour at:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/ejbco.htm

It sure is nice to get out of the barn! Comments and questions are
welcome.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Hey Ed,

Yep!! What Wayne said. Only trouble with showing stuff like that to
me is that there now is no way I'd ever show my shops to you guys!!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Robin S.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Wayne. Yep, white would not have been my first color choice for
a machine shop. But, this is the color they chose before I moved in.
Who am I to disagree (especially if it will cost me a bunch of time and
money!). I really wanted to get pictures taken before it turned to
grunge grey.

Ed,

The shop I work in is probably the dirtiest shop I've ever seen. We do a ton
of grinding, stoning and sanding (metal) and the place is covered with dust.

It used to be a darker green, but last year it was repainted (at huge
expense) white. The difference is exceptional. It's a place that looks like
you want to come to work every day. Working in a dark shop is a real downer
and it's been my experience that a bright shop is a happy shop.

Nice tour, also. It's neat to see how plants operate, where the magic
happens.

Regards,

Robin

Glenn Ashmore

OK, now that you have made me drool all over the keyboard, who do you use
for a janitorial service? :-) I can accept no oil stains on anything but
no black stain on the wall behind an unshielded grinder/buffing stand?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Folks,

It's been a while since I've posted to this group. Just finished
moving to a new shop and thought people might be interested. You can
see the pictorial tour at:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/ejbco.htm

It sure is nice to get out of the barn! Comments and questions are
welcome.

Thanks,
Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com

Ecnerwal

In article Yhi0f.60$784.6@lakeread08,
"Glenn Ashmore" wrote:

OK, now that you have made me drool all over the keyboard, who do you use
for a janitorial service? :-) I can accept no oil stains on anything but
no black stain on the wall behind an unshielded grinder/buffing stand?

He did mention that it's the NEW shop. I suspect they just haven't
buffed much yet. Me, I'd get some more white paint on the floor, but
that's me. Made a huge difference (lighter, brighter, and a better mood)
in my shop .vs. the unpainted concrete. I don't strive to keep it
spotless and white, but it's at least starting from there, and I picked
paint that's easy to recoat, rather than super-expensive super-paint, so
I can easily fix any spots/stains that somehow manage to offend my
sensibilities. Whenever I finally get the rest of the interior finished,
it will be white all around except for some minor bits of wood and color
to relieve the monotony.

If I ever actually get to repainting my machines (which seems to be
"right after I win the lottery, and I don't buy tickets") they'll
probably end up white with red pinstripes.

Thanks Robin. The barn was pretty dark too and it gradually became a
pit. Nobody cleaned up their messes. Nobody put away tools. Even I
dreaded to spend long hours working in there. Too much time was wasted
trying to find something, or clearing a space so that another space
could be cleared so that work could be done. There was stuff piled on
top of stuff on top of stuff! When we moved, I found tools which
hadn't been seen since the last millennium! I think "battleship gray"
is OK but white really reflects the light and makes it harder to be
messy and disorganized. We'll see how it goes. So far I'm doing my
best to keep it nice (in spite of the complaints!).

Ed

Hi Glenn, there are oil stains on the floor! Basically, I've only been
in here for a month. I'm sure by this time next year there will be
plenty of stuff clinging to the walls! Like I said, I wanted to get
pictures taken before it all turned to grunge gray.

Thanks,
Ed.

Bob Engelhardt

Brian Lawson wrote:
.... Only trouble with showing stuff like that to
me is that there now is no way I'd ever show my shops to you guys!!

Remember, Ed's shop is a *business*. Different rules apply, one is not
allowed to compare a business shop with a hobby one. In fact, a
business shop should not even be called a "shop". Just a "business".
Calling it a shop just promotes feelings of inadequacy and guilt when
seen by true shop owners: HSM'ers. VBG

Ed: in your description of your climate-controlled Metrology Lab, you
say that you measure to millionths. But you're making a *woodworking*
tool! Surely, this is overkill (?). Of course, woodworkers *are* nuts
and I'm sure that there is great appeal in a tool that is so precise.

Bob

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
snip
Ed: in your description of your climate-controlled Metrology Lab, you
say that you measure to millionths. But you're making a *woodworking*
tool! Surely, this is overkill (?). Of course, woodworkers *are* nuts
and I'm sure that there is great appeal in a tool that is so precise.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Well, I do make more than just woodworking tools. But, your question
is a good one which has several answers. In short, there's some
marketing to be sure, but there's a lot of metrology here too.

1. Yes, woodworkers are nuts - but not without good reason. Almost
everything in their market is labeled "precision" and virtually nothing
is. In fact most of it is pure junk with absurdly bogus claims. And,
they really don't have the resources to explore the claims or test the
items. So, they are constantly frustrated because they never know why
all these precision things are letting them down. The "appeal" here is
being able to buy something from someone who is trustworthy and
capable. A guy who dabbles in millionths on a daily basis and has all
these instruments might just be that "someone".

2. The rule of "tens". A basic rule of thumb in metrology: you should
be measuring with an instrument which can resolve 10 times finer than
your spec. So, if you want to ensure tolerances of 0.010" (a fine
woodworking spec.), then you should be using instruments which can
resolve to 0.001". If I'm manufacturing instruments which will need to
resolve to 0.001", then I should be able to certify them to 0.0001".
Nobody is going work wood to these tolerances, but the measurement
instruments and standards need to be made to them. There are some
woodworking applications which require tolerances to 0.001". See:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/accuratemiters.htm

So, my angle blocks correspondingly have tolerances to a few tenths.
Why? Because you can't guarantee accuracy to 0.001" with an instrument
(or standard) which is also accurate to 0.001".

There are people who don't believe in the rule of tens. They feel it
is an overkill and that a 0.001"/div instrument can guarantee
tolerances to 0.001". They might also extrapolate "tenths" from
instruments which read in the thousandths. You won't find them making
anything for me!

3. I also have to compete with the $25 angle block sets from China
(which claim accuracy to within tenths). My angle blocks need to be
significantly better. They are definitely good enough for inspection
work in machine shops. Since I need to hold tenths, I need to be
measuring in millionths. Normally, I use the 10 millionths scale on
the Dia-Lectron to check them because that's what the rule of tens
dictates. My angle standards (Starrett LM angle gage blocks) go to
0.1u" - again, the rule of tens. So, there is no question or doubt
about the accuracy of my angle blocks.

Ed

Was Shop heat---update Andrew V Metalworking 33 March 5th 06 03:32 PM
shop tour Silvan Woodworking 22 January 24th 05 02:35 PM
OT (kinda) High School Wood Shop V.E. Dorn Woodworking 16 January 22nd 04 09:21 PM
Flourescent lights in the shop Koz Metalworking 21 December 22nd 03 09:31 PM
Shop Power keith bowers Metalworking 24 August 1st 03 06:18 AM