Silvan

Default shop tour

The corner with my lathe and the biggest part of my workbench disappeared
for some reason. I don't have time to get it back.

This is a really seriously crappy little web page I slapped together as
quickly as possible. It's not meant to be an introduction for those of you
who haven't been following the fabled termite-infested slice of heaven I
call my shop, but rather it's supposed to put pictures behind a few things
I've been yammering about recently.

You should have seen it before I put 30 hours into cleaning it up. I have
no before pictures because I don't want anyone to know how bad I had let it
get. I also omitted the shot of my son the first time he saw the new shop.
He looked quite genuinely flabbergasted to see what Daddy had been up to
for the last couple weeks worth of shop time.

http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/shop.html

I may do a better tour going bit by bit, or I may not. I figure who cares,
really. Anyway, this is a good taste of what I've done with 10x12. I
think I could get a better perspective on how it all fits together with a
wider angle lens, but the digital camera won't zoom back closer than the
equivalent of 50 mm.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
skeezics

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:42:38 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

[...]

now ya went and done it!!! looks like you are using the space
available well. think you might come by and arrange my mess?????
btw.. hows the missus comin along?

skeez
Silvan

skeezics wrote:

think you might come by and arrange my mess?????

For $50,000, sure.

btw.. hows the missus comin along?

Goin' back to work next week, though still three more weeks before she gets
the last of the tubes out.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark Jerde

I like your plane stand. Like many things in my home & shop it appears to
be something someone decided he or she could live without and you gave it
the opportunity to live out its golden years in useful service. ;-) I
have three nice used desks in the house. Total investment -- $15.00 -- for
one. The other two were free for the hauling. Heck, if I was a billionaire
I'd still be looking at people's trash as I drove by to see if there wasn't
something I could use. ;-)

-- Mark

Robatoy

In article 0YEHd.2315$Hg6.1951@trnddc09,
"Mark Jerde" wrote:

[snipperectomy]. Heck, if I was a billionaire
I'd still be looking at people's trash as I drove by to see if there wasn't
something I could use. ;-)

-- Mark

One morning, on 'Heavy Items Day', I saw a 7-foot stainless
chemistry-lab countertop with integral sink. Must have come from a
school. No dents, finished all around. It polished up like a new one.

I think it is time for a thread....I hope it gets some legs..
What is the best thing you have ever found in somebody else's trash?

You'd never find anything out at the garbage in front of my house. I
keep everything. Ask my wife.. she'll tell ya.

A WW2 vet who lived next to my partents' house kept all of his AA, C and
D dead batteries. "One day, somebody going to invent a charger for these"
He'd only throw them out if they started leaking.

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:42:38 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

The corner with my lathe and the biggest part of my workbench disappeared
for some reason. I don't have time to get it back.

This is a really seriously crappy little web page I slapped together as
quickly as possible. It's not meant to be an introduction for those of you
who haven't been following the fabled termite-infested slice of heaven I
call my shop, but rather it's supposed to put pictures behind a few things
I've been yammering about recently.

You should have seen it before I put 30 hours into cleaning it up. I have
no before pictures because I don't want anyone to know how bad I had let it

Grok that.

get. I also omitted the shot of my son the first time he saw the new shop.
He looked quite genuinely flabbergasted to see what Daddy had been up to
for the last couple weeks worth of shop time.

"Daddy, where'd all the STUFF go?!?"

http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/shop.html

I may do a better tour going bit by bit, or I may not. I figure who cares,
really. Anyway, this is a good taste of what I've done with 10x12. I
think I could get a better perspective on how it all fits together with a
wider angle lens, but the digital camera won't zoom back closer than the
equivalent of 50 mm.

Hey, the next time you go out there, see if you have any spare WHITE
paint. Paint the walls and watch the shop come to life and double the
worth of your existing lighting.

--
I speak 2 languages fluently: English and foul.
---------------------------

skeezics

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:00:55 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

skeezics wrote:

think you might come by and arrange my mess?????

For $50,000, sure.

hmmmmm..... wonder if i could ship the shop to china for cleaning.
labor is much cheaper but the shipping may kill the deal! lol.. well
traveling to work today is pretty much out of the question so maybe
i'll clean the shop as well. grrrrr..... hate cleanig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw.. hows the missus comin along?

Goin' back to work next week, though still three more weeks before she gets
the last of the tubes out.

KEWL!!!! glad to hear she's doin better.

skeez
mac davis

wrote:

skeezics wrote:

think you might come by and arrange my mess?????

For $50,000, sure.

hmmmmm..... wonder if i could ship the shop to china for cleaning.
labor is much cheaper but the shipping may kill the deal! lol.. well
traveling to work today is pretty much out of the question so maybe
i'll clean the shop as well. grrrrr..... hate cleanig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleaning the shop just to get it clean sucks...

However, if you're about to start a new project, especially if the
project includes buying a new, space eating tool, then cleaning isn't
bad at all..
hell, it isn't cleaning, then.. it's making room for a tool and sort
of fun..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
skeezics

wrote:

skeezics wrote:

think you might come by and arrange my mess?????

For $50,000, sure.

hmmmmm..... wonder if i could ship the shop to china for cleaning.
labor is much cheaper but the shipping may kill the deal! lol.. well
traveling to work today is pretty much out of the question so maybe
i'll clean the shop as well. grrrrr..... hate cleanig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleaning the shop just to get it clean sucks...

However, if you're about to start a new project, especially if the
project includes buying a new, space eating tool, then cleaning isn't
bad at all..
hell, it isn't cleaning, then.. it's making room for a tool and sort
of fun..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

yeh but!!! im dreaming of a new 20" planer but i gotta wait and see
what the tax man says first. i am having a hard time deciding what
write off er i mean tools to get next. cant think of much else i need.
what a predicament to be in huh? guess this will be the year of
upgrading! hehehehe.... guess ill be cleaning just to clean this time.

skeez

patrick conroy

"Silvan" wrote in message

He looked quite genuinely flabbergasted to see what Daddy had been up to
for the last couple weeks worth of shop time.

Ah! Shop Sweet Shop!

I may do a better tour going bit by bit, or I may not. I figure who

cares,
really.

Most of us care!

Silvan

Mark Jerde wrote:

I like your plane stand. Like many things in my home & shop it appears to
be something someone decided he or she could live without and you gave it
the opportunity to live out its golden years in useful service. ;-) I

Used to be a microwave cart or something. I have another one of those in
the back corner with my drill press stuff on it.

Here, I've thrown out some new stuff. Whee.

Um.

http://users.adelphia.net/~silvan/shop.html

I think.

Anyway, I'm definitely a bottom feeder like you.

I love my $5 desk. Or I did until SWMBO put a computer on it. It's as big
as a battleship, but now it's covered with a computer, and it's impossible
to use all 14 acres of space for anything, owing to the need to locate the
computer chair and input devices smack in the middle of the thing. Sigh.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

mac davis wrote:

Cleaning the shop just to get it clean sucks...

However, if you're about to start a new project, especially if the
project includes buying a new, space eating tool, then cleaning isn't
bad at all..

Or if you're cleaning because you're tired of moving the same pile of stuff
around among different horizontal surfaces. Move it off the workbench to
chisel something, then move it off the TS to cut something, then move it
off the DP to drill something, then move it off the TS to cut
something...

You really should have seen before pictures of that thing. It had gotten
really bad. Like, can't walk more than 2.75" without tripping over
something bad.

Not a lot of junk or trash though. I barely threw away one bag of assorted
shavings, trimmings and useless scraps. It just needed places made for
good stuff.

I did good today. I chiseled some stuff and I actually put all my tools
back where they came from and brushed off the workbench. Wow. Amazing
concept, ain't it?

It won't last.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, the next time you go out there, see if you have any spare WHITE
paint. Paint the walls and watch the shop come to life and double the
worth of your existing lighting.

I've been contemplating that for years. Problem is there's fourteen cubic
tons of dust on everything, and nails sticking out everywhere, and various
weird edges and stuff. Painting it will be hell on whatever I paint it
with, and hell on the brushes too.

I need to paint it with some of Dad's energy reflective coating stuff. It's
so white it makes regular "ultra bright" white paint look like a dingy gray
by comparison. It's $40 a gallon though. Urk. That's really why I
haven't painted it. He wants me to use *his* stuff, see, nudge nudge, poke
poke, why aren't you using my paint son?

Uh, because it's $200 a bucket Pop. Duh. And I only need, like, 1/10 of a
bucket to do the job.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Mark & Juanita

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:16:54 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

[...]

Keep it up, you may find out you like it that way. Especially with a
small shop, the less cluttered you keep it, the easier it is to get things
done. As you noted, the key is finding good storage for everything. The
shop at my former residence was a lot smaller than what I have now, it
really forced me to be very efficient in storage and meticulous about
housekeeping.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 00:21:07 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, the next time you go out there, see if you have any spare WHITE
paint. Paint the walls and watch the shop come to life and double the
worth of your existing lighting.

I've been contemplating that for years. Problem is there's fourteen cubic
tons of dust on everything, and nails sticking out everywhere, and various
weird edges and stuff. Painting it will be hell on whatever I paint it
with, and hell on the brushes too.

Can you say "airless" or "HVLP". I thought you could. Even a $16 HF
utility spraygun would work. I'm going to use one on my ceiling the
next time it needs it if I don't buy a little 600cc HVLP gun first.
10x25' clear or black plastic sheeting is $4 most places. Mask and
shoot.

I need to paint it with some of Dad's energy reflective coating stuff. It's
so white it makes regular "ultra bright" white paint look like a dingy gray

You don't want a glossy or too-reflective surface. It gets nasty on
bright, sunny days. Reflection is a no-no.

by comparison. It's $40 a gallon though. Urk. That's really why I
haven't painted it. He wants me to use *his* stuff, see, nudge nudge, poke
poke, why aren't you using my paint son?

Uh, because it's $200 a bucket Pop. Duh. And I only need, like, 1/10 of a
bucket to do the job.

"'Cuz the $5/gal whitewash works just as well for a shop, Dad, but if
you supply the good stuff, I'd be happy to use it. Bring some over and
you can help me. Y'know, a male bonding thingamajig."

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

Can you say "airless" or "HVLP". I thought you could. Even a $16 HF
utility spraygun would work. I'm going to use one on my ceiling the
next time it needs it if I don't buy a little 600cc HVLP gun first.
10x25' clear or black plastic sheeting is $4 most places. Mask and
shoot.

I don't have anything to power a spray gun. I haven't actually looked at
HVLP stuff, but I have the sense that it's a lot more spendy than it's
worth for this application. I'm not interested in spraying anything else
in particular. I don't, as a rule, like spraying.

You don't want a glossy or too-reflective surface. It gets nasty on
bright, sunny days. Reflection is a no-no.

There is no sun. No windows. I don't open the doors because there's a lot
of traffic on my street now, and I don't like advertising.

"'Cuz the $5/gal whitewash works just as well for a shop, Dad, but if
you supply the good stuff, I'd be happy to use it. Bring some over and
you can help me. Y'know, a male bonding thingamajig."

I'm still waiting for that free paint. It's a bit of a double-edged
thing though. If I use cheap whitewash, it's tantamount to treason, and my
parents *do* keep my kids for free, which saves me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
If we had to pay for daycare, my wife would have to quit her job because it
would no longer be profitable for her to work just to pay the daycare
expenses. That would put a real cramp in the ol' shop budget. So it
really is a bit of a thorny problem.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Larry Jaques

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:33:07 -0500, the inscrutable Silvan
spake:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Can you say "airless" or "HVLP". I thought you could. Even a $16 HF
utility spraygun would work. I'm going to use one on my ceiling the
next time it needs it if I don't buy a little 600cc HVLP gun first.
10x25' clear or black plastic sheeting is $4 most places. Mask and
shoot.

I don't have anything to power a spray gun. I haven't actually looked at
HVLP stuff, but I have the sense that it's a lot more spendy than it's
worth for this application. I'm not interested in spraying anything else
in particular. I don't, as a rule, like spraying.

No compressor? That sucks. So rent/borrow a small one, perhaps your
dad. You'll get a couple coats on everything in a day.

You don't want a glossy or too-reflective surface. It gets nasty on
bright, sunny days. Reflection is a no-no.

There is no sun. No windows.

No, but lighting can bounce, too, especially task lamps. Glossy paint
has no place in the shop, at least not mine. The foil-coated pieces of
insulating foam I stuck to the recesses of the door (frame and panel)
are beginning to get on my nerves, and they're on the south side, away
from sunlight.

I don't open the doors because there's a lot
of traffic on my street now, and I don't like advertising.

I feel the same way, though there's not a whole lot of traffic on my
dead-end street. I've opened my gar^H^H^Hshop door twice since I've
lived here. Once to move in, the other to fix and adjust the springs
so it COULD open.

"'Cuz the $5/gal whitewash works just as well for a shop, Dad, but if
you supply the good stuff, I'd be happy to use it. Bring some over and
you can help me. Y'know, a male bonding thingamajig."

I'm still waiting for that free paint. It's a bit of a double-edged
thing though. If I use cheap whitewash, it's tantamount to treason, and my
parents *do* keep my kids for free, which saves me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
If we had to pay for daycare, my wife would have to quit her job because it
would no longer be profitable for her to work just to pay the daycare
expenses. That would put a real cramp in the ol' shop budget. So it
really is a bit of a thorny problem.

It shouldn't be now. Why not bemoan the medical bills to the old man
and say you can't even afford to buy whitewash, let alone his diamond
plated schtuffs. Uh, you might rephrase that just a touch, though.

Please return Stewardess to her original upright position.
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Tagline-based T-shirts!

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:33:07 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

"'Cuz the $5/gal whitewash works just as well for a shop, Dad, but if
you supply the good stuff, I'd be happy to use it. Bring some over and
you can help me. Y'know, a male bonding thingamajig."

I'm still waiting for that free paint. It's a bit of a double-edged
thing though. If I use cheap whitewash, it's tantamount to treason, and my
parents *do* keep my kids for free, which saves me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
If we had to pay for daycare, my wife would have to quit her job because it
would no longer be profitable for her to work just to pay the daycare
expenses. That would put a real cramp in the ol' shop budget. So it
really is a bit of a thorny problem.

so give it a good coat of white primer. then tell him about where on
the side of the can it says to apply the topcoat within 4 days....
LRod

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 06:36:20 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

No compressor? That sucks.

Well, it doesn't blow. You meant to say that, right?

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

worth for this application. I'm not interested in spraying anything else
in particular. I don't, as a rule, like spraying.

No compressor? That sucks. So rent/borrow a small one, perhaps your
dad. You'll get a couple coats on everything in a day.

I have a compressor, but it's not suitable for spraying any volume of
anything. No tank, no moisture trap. It's good for pumping up pool toys
and tires, and that's about it.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not interested in spraying anything else in
particular. I don't, as a rule, like spraying. Seriously. The problem
with spraying is all the damn cleanup. I'd need to be looking at something
a lot bigger than my shop to make it worth considering.

You don't want a glossy or too-reflective surface. It gets nasty on
bright, sunny days. Reflection is a no-no.

There is no sun. No windows.

No, but lighting can bounce, too, especially task lamps. Glossy paint
has no place in the shop, at least not mine. The foil-coated pieces of

Be that as it may, that doesn't change the fact that your original point
about bright, sunny days is completely irrelevant. My shop is like a
cave, rain or shine, day or night, it's always dark without a little help
from 'lectricity.

Which is particularly obvious if I screw up and leave the heat running while
operating the table saw and shop vac and trip the breaker. That's always
fun.

I feel the same way, though there's not a whole lot of traffic on my
dead-end street. I've opened my gar^H^H^Hshop door twice since I've
lived here. Once to move in, the other to fix and adjust the springs
so it COULD open.

Mine is basically a dead-end street too, but there's a, well, there's a
reason for all the traffic. I'm not going to get into details about
exactly where the shop is because I don't want to give someone a roadmap.

It shouldn't be now. Why not bemoan the medical bills to the old man
and say you can't even afford to buy whitewash, let alone his diamond
plated schtuffs. Uh, you might rephrase that just a touch, though.

He knows I can't afford it, but he wants me to use it anyway. Actually, for
that matter, I'm really not all that inclined to paint it white anyway. I
hate white. Just in terms of feeling cozy and inviting and stuff, I think
the raw, well-aged jummywood look actually works for me. That's probably
the real reason why I've never bothered to paint out there. The idea of
covering all the wood in white doesn't make my heart flutter at all.

In fact... Well. Hrm... That's interesting. I had a play with the GIMP,
colorizing everything wooden a white color. I didn't make the selection
accurately enough to be a true representation of what it would look like,
but it's pretty close. It actually looks more OK than I would have
thought.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Silvan wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:

Hey, the next time you go out there, see if you have any spare WHITE
paint. Paint the walls and watch the shop come to life and double the
worth of your existing lighting.

I've been contemplating that for years. Problem is there's fourteen cubic
tons of dust on everything, and nails sticking out everywhere, and various
weird edges and stuff. Painting it will be hell on whatever I paint it
with, and hell on the brushes too.

I need to paint it with some of Dad's energy reflective coating stuff. It's
so white it makes regular "ultra bright" white paint look like a dingy gray
by comparison. It's $40 a gallon though. Urk. That's really why I
haven't painted it. He wants me to use *his* stuff, see, nudge nudge, poke
poke, why aren't you using my paint son?

Uh, because it's $200 a bucket Pop. Duh. And I only need, like, 1/10 of a
bucket to do the job.

Tip learned from a professional painter: To get a _really_ bright white
looking paint, put in the 'standard' amount of Titanium White, and 2 units
(that's 1/2 of one 'normal' gallon minimum increment) of Carbon Black, for
a one gallon can.

The painter's explanation: "we add a bit of black, to make it look blue, so
it doesn't turn yellow."

The formula looks strange, and the explanation sounds (more than)a bit
off-the-wall, but it does work. Superbly.

It's definitely counter-intuitive, but you put that 'just a pinch of black'
paint up beside the true 'just white', and the one with the black in it
*looks* brighter white.

This kind of thing _does_ make for some interesting "discussions" with
the 'follow the recipe book' types operating the paint tinter in the
places like the BORG. grin

Duane Bozarth

Robert Bonomi wrote:
The painter's explanation: "we add a bit of black, to make it look blue, so
it doesn't turn yellow."

The formula looks strange, and the explanation sounds (more than)a bit
off-the-wall, but it does work. Superbly.

It's definitely counter-intuitive, but you put that 'just a pinch of black'
paint up beside the true 'just white', and the one with the black in it
*looks* brighter white.

This kind of thing _does_ make for some interesting "discussions" with
the 'follow the recipe book' types operating the paint tinter in the
places like the BORG. grin

Is precisely the formula and the proper explanation...many of the
formulae from factory-matching will have a touch of either black or one
of the darkest blues for precisely that reason. It appears that is a
piece of the "art" that the wavelength matching machines don't have the
sophistication to (usually) match. (I've found they're great for
matching the "dirty" look of old hardware brought in, though).

Give me a real pro and a hand mixer anyday--although they're getting
really hard to find