Christopher Tidy

Default bitter taste in mouth after sanding brass?

Ignoramus11514 wrote:
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

You aren't supposed to eat acorns :-). I think they're poisonous.

But I just tried putting a piece of freshly cut brass in my mouth and it
didn't taste of anything. Brass isn't very reactive. Personally I doubt
it's the brass. Even if it was responsible for the funny taste, I would
have expected it to have cleared after a few days.

Chris

Christopher Tidy

Ignoramus11514 wrote:
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Just had another thought. I remember my father (who is a dentist) saying
that putting aluminium in your mouth can cause pain if you have
fillings. Apparently it's some kind of galvanic effect. But aluminium is
more reactive than brass, and it's also unlikely that such an effect
would last for several days. It would only happen when you put food in
your mouth if the food caused the metal to be released into your saliva.
On the whole I think it's unlikely that the brass dust is the cause of
the problem.

Chris

Norm Dresner

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

What kind of "sandpaper" are you using? Any lubricant?

Norm

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:13:52 GMT, Ignoramus11514
wrote:

I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

I've had this taste from copper dust. It lasted for a few days. And my
tongue felt strange. I guess you need to be more careful. I also got a
slight case of metal fume fever from welding on zinc plated steel
years ago. I now pay close attention to what I breathe and eat.
ERS
Roger Shoaf

I had the same thing happen when I was trying to polish some red brass
castings. It will go away but my castings are still unpolished. I doubt
that it is good for you.

--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
1] Depth of gene pool
2] Position on the food chain.

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Don Bruder

In article ,
Ignoramus11514 wrote:

I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Odd... I've always had a very sweet taste after making chips or filings
from coper-containing stock - Particularly if I take a hit off a
cigarette - Seems like something in the coper-bearing stuff interacts
with the cigarette smoke, and like I just dumped a spoonful of sugar in
my mouth, only without the texture. It often persists for days,
particularly if I've made lots of *REALLY* small (AKA dust)
copper-containing chips.

At one point earlier in my life, I tested the theory that it was
something to do with copper and got what I consider pretty solid
confirmation - The procedu strip a piece of 3/12 romex, and snip off
a few small pieces of nice copper wire. Roll them around the mouth for a
few seconds, spit 'em out, then take a hit off a smoke. The results were
impressive - As soon as I drew on the cigarette, it was exactly as if
I'd taken a mouthful of corn syrup - my mouth was filled with a thick,
super-sweet taste that nothing would "rinse away". The effect persisted,
although gradually decreasing, for several days, seemingly being
"reactivated" every time I took a drag off a butt.

Maybe the question of bitter vs sweet is an "individual chemistry" thing?

As far as health concerns, copper is one of the "trace nutrients" we
need, although I imagine when you've snarfed enough to taste it, you've
had the daily quota and then some for several people. Excess copper *IS*
toxic to sheep - A fact that's noted on animal mineral-salt blocks.

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:35:33 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

Depends on the velocity it's delivered at, maybe?

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:55:58 GMT, Ignoramus11514 wrote:

It is McMaster item 6381K525. Indeed, you are right, it is
bronze. Just when should I expect to die, thanks. Just kidding.

So, you won't be needing that die grinder and those welding clamps,
then? (looked for the grinder last night, I now know two places
where it is not. Found the clamps, though.)

Dave "Hope you don't die, Iggy, at least not anytime soon" Hinz

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:59:52 GMT, Ignoramus11514 wrote:
On 30 Sep 2005 18:58:22 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Dave "Hope you don't die, Iggy, at least not anytime soon" Hinz

maybe you are hoping that I die after I pay you, but before you send
these items.

/me looks uncomfortable, while whistling innocently...

John R. Carroll

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Is it really brass? If it's Bronze, a more common bushing material, you may
have Beryllium poisoning, depending on the material.
If it is brass, it may be leaded.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:23:52 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message

It is McMaster item 6381K525. Indeed, you are right, it is
bronze. Just when should I expect to die, thanks. Just kidding.

Seek medical attention. Really.

That item is CDA 932 bronze, leaded. Might be SAE 660. John, what
specifically do you see about that that I haven't found yet that says to
seek medical attention? He's got to know what to tell 'em to look for.
All I've found so far is lead.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:23:52 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:

Seek medical attention.
Really.

OK, I found the alloy description, he
http://www.atlasbronze.com/C93200.html

Copper, tin, lead, and zinc, primarily. I see no beryllium.

Don Bruder

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:35:33 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

Depends on the velocity it's delivered at, maybe?

snicker

But doesn't it count as lead poisoning then?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
John R. Carroll

Ignoramus11514 wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:23:52 GMT, John R. Carroll
wrote:

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in
message ...
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:10:52 GMT, John R. Carroll

wrote:

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in
message ...
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little
bit, a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been
careless and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands.
Ever since, I have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I
eat literally anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of
oak acorns or some such. Does it make sense to link this to brass
sanding? Other than the bitter taste, I feel fine.

Is it really brass? If it's Bronze, a more common bushing
material, you

may
have Beryllium poisoning, depending on the material.
If it is brass, it may be leaded.

It is McMaster item 6381K525. Indeed, you are right, it is
bronze. Just when should I expect to die, thanks. Just kidding.

Seek medical attention.
Really.

John, can you elaborate a little bit, I will appreciate that.

I have worked in the injection molding industry much of my life with these
materials so I have personal experience with this. Had a couple of employees
get pretty sick largely because they didn't se the need to properly handle
things they were around all the time.
You may have heavy metal poisoning and a trip to your physician as soon as
it is reasonably possible is definitely in order. There isn't really a safe
level but the fact that you continue to experience symptoms is a very clear
indication that there is a problem to one extent or another.
There are many alloys of bronze. I am not familiar with the McMaster Carr
line of products and always bought from an actual manufacturer. Brush
Wellman for instance.
The common bronzes fall into two main categories. Aluminum and Be-Cu alloys.
There are also other elements used in modern Bronze production that may or
may not be in the chemical description listed. Selenium is one you hardly
ever see on a data sheet but it is frequently incorporated when the material
is alloyed.
The third thing to consider is that ALL bronzes are toxic as powders.
At any rate, I was only attempting to do a good deed and not scare the crap
out of you or anyone else. Machinists work with all manner of things on a
daily basis that have the potential to harm them. Something that isn't a
problem as a solid can be very hazardous as a vapor of powder. Anytime you
ingest something and become symptomatic you should consult a physician. The
life you save may be your own.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:48:22 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:35:33 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

Depends on the velocity it's delivered at, maybe?

snicker
But doesn't it count as lead poisoning then?

Depends; some of the copper-only bullets are out there, but I've never
tried them.

Harold and Susan Vordos

news
wrote:

I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

I've had this taste from copper dust. It lasted for a few days. And my
tongue felt strange. I guess you need to be more careful. I also got a
slight case of metal fume fever from welding on zinc plated steel
years ago. I now pay close attention to what I breathe and eat.
ERS

I was about to suggest the copper connection when I read your post. Copper
really screws up your taste buds.

Harold

John R. Carroll

wrote:

Seek medical attention.
Really.

OK, I found the alloy description, he
http://www.atlasbronze.com/C93200.html

Copper, tin, lead, and zinc, primarily. I see no beryllium.

Dave,
See my reply to Ig.
Didn't mean to set off alarm bells or anything but people frequently
underestimate the ability of their day to day environment to do them harm.
Sorry if anyone got the wrong idea.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:58:03 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it does. And the worst thing is how my tongue felt. I can't even
describe it but it was sorta the way unripe bananas make my tongue
feel. But not as bad as walnuts or pecans.
Eric
daniel peterman

What could a doctor do other than tell him to wash his paws before
handling food and sending him a bill for 500 bucks for that sage advice?
Are you really gonna find a doctor that is specifically knowledgeable
about exposure to trace amounts of metallic dusts?
This stuff will poison you if you breathe it, or eat it, or get it in
your system somehow.
Spend the money on gloves,masks and safety glasses. Don't pay for a
doctor's Lexus after the fact.

Don Bruder

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:35:33 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

Depends on the velocity it's delivered at, maybe?

snicker
But doesn't it count as lead poisoning then?

Depends; some of the copper-only bullets are out there, but I've never
tried them.

Aye, that. All of my copper-bearing ones are just that - A copper
coating wrapped around a lead (and maybe other things, but no telling
what without an assay) core. They seem to be adequate for my purposes,
so why mess with success?

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
John R. Carroll

daniel peterman wrote:
What could a doctor do other than tell him to wash his paws before
handling food and sending him a bill for 500 bucks for that sage
advice? Are you really gonna find a doctor that is specifically
knowledgeable about exposure to trace amounts of metallic dusts?
This stuff will poison you if you breathe it, or eat it, or get it in
your system somehow.
Spend the money on gloves,masks and safety glasses. Don't pay for a
doctor's Lexus after the fact.

Dan,
There are treatments to help your body eliminate these toxins. Nothing fancy
but what a doctor is able to do is run the necessary tox screen to determine
if there is a real problem. As for finding a knoweledgeable physician, any
GP should be very aware of this sort of thing. You are not, after all, going
to show up and ask him to diagnose a condition without providing a little
history. You are likely to point right at the problem before he even
examines you.
Spending the funds to aquire safety equipment is always the best course of
action. It's a little late to do that here, except to avoid future problems.
I'd also think a little peace of mind might be of some value and a real
doctor could also point out means of future protection for things that are
encountered beyond brass.
At this point, I am sorry I butted in and will keep it zipped in the future.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Copper salts do that. I manufacture a number of pyrotechnic compositions
that require the use of copper oxides or chlorides. I end up with the same
taste (mask, or not) every time I mix.

LLoyd

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:23:52 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:

Seek medical attention.
Really.

OK, I found the alloy description, he
http://www.atlasbronze.com/C93200.html

Copper, tin, lead, and zinc, primarily. I see no beryllium.

My guess is it's the zinc causing the taste. Zinc salts have a very
bitter and astringent taste. Copper salts have a similar taste but zinc
is a much more reactive metal, most likely reacting with the acids in
the mouth. As for toxicity zinc has been successfully used for years on
galvanized water pipes and don't forget the zinc caps that mom used on
Mason jars when canning.

Engineman

Christopher Tidy

I'm quite surprised that a metal which seems pretty unreactive has this
effect, although perhaps it is caused by one of the more reactive
component metals of the bronze. Does anyone know the scientific cause of
the sensation? Is it a galvanic effect, or a chemical reaction producing
a bitter chemical, or some kind of poisoning? Just curious...

Hope the taste disappears soon, Iggy.

Chris

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:58:03 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Years ago, in another place, a friend was running a still---with a copper
condenser. Some of the squeezin's came out with a touch of copper
solution,. almost imperceptible to the eye. Damned near choked to death on
the damned stuff. Strangely, we need a small percentage in our system in
order to enjoy good health-------but it must be some kind of small.

Harold

AndreL

There is an information on a medical web site that reports to copper
inhalation (or its derivatives). Says that copper or powder of copper
inhalation can changes tastes and led to symptoms of "metal fume fever"

Do a search on "metal fume fever" and you will see symptoms like you
described.

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 23:58:28 GMT, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
wrote:

"Ignoramus11514" wrote in message
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

Copper salts do that. I manufacture a number of pyrotechnic compositions
that require the use of copper oxides or chlorides. I end up with the
same
taste (mask, or not) every time I mix.

That is interesting. The fact that you are still alive and of sound
mind, is highly encouraging to me.

Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:21:24 GMT, Ignoramus11514
wrote:

You aren't supposed to eat acorns :-). I think they're poisonous.

Its the Tannic Acid

Not sure about that, but they are very bitter. Supposedly, if you soak
them in water for several days, you can cook and eat them. Never tried
that.

Ayup, after being mashed up.

Its not bad..pretty much tasteless. About like Poi, if you have had
it. if not leached long enough..can be bitter indeed.

http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/vme/ARNHA/acornepi.html

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:33:28 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 18:35:33 GMT, Don Bruder wrote:

But to humans? shrug Dunno... I'd imagine the LD50 is up there fairly
high.

Depends on the velocity it's delivered at, maybe?

snicker
But doesn't it count as lead poisoning then?

Depends; some of the copper-only bullets are out there, but I've never
tried them.

Aye, that. All of my copper-bearing ones are just that - A copper
coating wrapped around a lead (and maybe other things, but no telling
what without an assay) core. They seem to be adequate for my purposes,
so why mess with success?

Copper/Nickle alloy. There are a very very few pure copper ones, and a
fair amount of bronze ones.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:23:03 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Ignoramus11514 wrote:
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

You aren't supposed to eat acorns :-). I think they're poisonous.

Native Americans survived long winters on stashes of acorns.
They had a lengthy process for making them edible, though.
I'll tell you more after I read another couple books which are
in my queue, Tom Brown, Jr's "The Tracker" and "Medicinal and
Edible Plants."

But I just tried putting a piece of freshly cut brass in my mouth and it
didn't taste of anything. Brass isn't very reactive. Personally I doubt
it's the brass. Even if it was responsible for the funny taste, I would
have expected it to have cleared after a few days.

Brass tastes funny and leaves an residue on your hands which transfers
to the tongue quite easily.

I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris

Jon Danniken

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

I got a chuckle reading the disclaimer at the bottom of that snake oil page:

"Under current legislation, The Wolfe Clinic is not permitted to make claims
to consumers in support of health benefits derived from foods."

Jon

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:42:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Jon
Danniken" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

I got a chuckle reading the disclaimer at the bottom of that snake oil page:

"Under current legislation, The Wolfe Clinic is not permitted to make claims
to consumers in support of health benefits derived from foods."

God Bless the AMA. (Nobody else will.)

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris
-----------------------------------
www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Gunner Asch

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

I got a chuckle reading the disclaimer at the bottom of that snake oil page:

"Under current legislation, The Wolfe Clinic is not permitted to make claims
to consumers in support of health benefits derived from foods."

God Bless the AMA. (Nobody else will.)

This is the same group that was attempting to ban mail order vitamins
also, isnt it?

Gunner

Don Bruder

"Larry Jaques" wrote:
I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

I got a chuckle reading the disclaimer at the bottom of that snake oil page:

"Under current legislation, The Wolfe Clinic is not permitted to make claims
to consumers in support of health benefits derived from foods."

God Bless the AMA. (Nobody else will.)

This is the same group that was attempting to ban mail order vitamins
also, isnt it?

Like he said - "Nobody else will"...

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 17:47:23 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote:

God Bless the AMA. (Nobody else will.)

This is the same group that was attempting to ban mail order vitamins
also, isnt it?

Yes, the American Medical Association, bless their little coals.
They don't like chiropractors, either, though medical school for
chiros is a few dozen hours longer than the medical school required
for a guy to become an MD. They all take the same courses up to a
point, then chiros put in more time.

They're also extremely influential in the FDA's (Food and Drug
Administration) rulings who were the actuals in the attempt on
vitamin bans here.

I guess one could think of the AMA as the Godfathers. Capice?
(You'd better!) Could it be a drug price kickback to the MDs and AMA
from the multi-billion dollar drug companies? Gee, who knows?

The probable bottom line is that doctors and drug companies don't want
us well because they make less profit from healthy individuals. And
if one is a tiny bit suspicious, they might see how governments can
control unhealthy individuals much more easily. See how easy it was to
knock off all those Southerners after recent storms? (Just running
some possibilities here, eh?)