Larry Jaques

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:23:03 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
qualm, Christopher Tidy quickly quoth:

Ignoramus11514 wrote:
I had to sand a brass bushing to gets its diameter down a little bit,
a few days ago. Produced a lot of fine dust. I may have been careless
and put some food item in my mouth with dirty hands. Ever since, I
have slightly bitter taste in my mouth whenever I eat literally
anything. The bitterness reminds me of the taste of oak acorns or some
such. Does it make sense to link this to brass sanding? Other than the
bitter taste, I feel fine.

You aren't supposed to eat acorns :-). I think they're poisonous.

Native Americans survived long winters on stashes of acorns.
They had a lengthy process for making them edible, though.
I'll tell you more after I read another couple books which are
in my queue, Tom Brown, Jr's "The Tracker" and "Medicinal and
Edible Plants."

But I just tried putting a piece of freshly cut brass in my mouth and it
didn't taste of anything. Brass isn't very reactive. Personally I doubt
it's the brass. Even if it was responsible for the funny taste, I would
have expected it to have cleared after a few days.

Brass tastes funny and leaves an residue on your hands which transfers
to the tongue quite easily.

I believe brass is dissolved by alkaline substances, so some Milk of
Magnesia might work. This handy chart may help you, Iggy:
http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris