Default OT - Bush Takes Cover

Pork Squared!! Still OT but on this one:

Is there anything so pointless as the initiative to rebuild
New Orleans when, given the continuing subsidence of the area,
the continuing rise in sea level, the silting-up of the
existing channel, and increased weather activity due to global
warming, it is a virtual certainty that the recent disaster will
recur within 75 years or less?
((**** Update - It's happening NOW!!********))
Allow the river to take the new course it 'wants` to naturally.
The flow control structure is already largely in place.
The engineering advantages are enormous, A self scouring channel
and reduction of flooding upstream, planned control of further
delta formation and greater longevity for the new port, if the
initiative is properly taken.
Let the old town stagnate while a new port is built and let it
die a natural death after it is replaced. - (The low town can do
service as a flood relief basin, and after a while might silt up to
usable elevation.)
The historic French Quarter lies on higher ground and can be saved,
but in the interest of public safety and economics - let the rest go.

Sorry for the rant, I'm feeling MUCH better now,
MadDog

carl mciver

wrote in message
oups.com...
| Pork Squared!! Still OT but on this one:
|
| Is there anything so pointless as the initiative to rebuild
| New Orleans when, given the continuing subsidence of the area,
| the continuing rise in sea level, the silting-up of the
| existing channel, and increased weather activity due to global
| warming, it is a virtual certainty that the recent disaster will
| recur within 75 years or less?

So when California has a little quake and all hell breaks loose,
everyone should just give up and leave, right? Oh, darn, San Francisco
residents would have to introduce themselves to the real world. Should the
entire east coast just go ahead and leave now, since they got hurricanes
just as bad? If New York gets slammed by another 9/11, I'd hope they'd cut
and run too! Would you be opposed if Cuba emptied out? Where would Fidel
go? You gonna put him up in your spare bedroom?
Should the entire Midwest leave because tornadoes level everything they
feel like? Should the northern states pack up and go somewhere else because
when it gets really cold, folks die? How about the southwest states,
because folks die when the power fails during a heat wave?

Everywhere you go there'll be something that holds your life in tenuous
hands. Just accept it, don't be surprised by it, and get over it. You can
bitch and whine all you want, but only those worth a **** in my book can
bitch as long as they vote, and put their money where their mouth is.

If you wanted to live a life that never changes or has no future risk,
just kill yourself now. After death is the only time that doesn't change
for you. You just might eventually get cancer, a toe infection, or a broken
fingernail. That horrible possibility alone should be enough to make you
want to find a friendly doctor and have him take you and your fears out of
this world for good.

dkat

People should not close down New Orleans and move out but they certainly
should be protecting their wet lands and not building on them. One of the
many harms that Bush et al have done is to gut the wet lands policies that
was reclaiming wetlands and making our environment safer. Is anyone
surprised by this? Developers first - environment last.

"carl mciver" wrote in message
ink.net...
wrote in message
oups.com...
| Pork Squared!! Still OT but on this one:
|
| Is there anything so pointless as the initiative to rebuild
| New Orleans when, given the continuing subsidence of the area,
| the continuing rise in sea level, the silting-up of the
| existing channel, and increased weather activity due to global
| warming, it is a virtual certainty that the recent disaster will
| recur within 75 years or less?

So when California has a little quake and all hell breaks loose,
everyone should just give up and leave, right? Oh, darn, San Francisco
residents would have to introduce themselves to the real world. Should
the
entire east coast just go ahead and leave now, since they got hurricanes
just as bad? If New York gets slammed by another 9/11, I'd hope they'd
cut
and run too! Would you be opposed if Cuba emptied out? Where would Fidel
go? You gonna put him up in your spare bedroom?
Should the entire Midwest leave because tornadoes level everything they
feel like? Should the northern states pack up and go somewhere else
because
when it gets really cold, folks die? How about the southwest states,
because folks die when the power fails during a heat wave?

Everywhere you go there'll be something that holds your life in tenuous
hands. Just accept it, don't be surprised by it, and get over it. You
can
bitch and whine all you want, but only those worth a **** in my book can
bitch as long as they vote, and put their money where their mouth is.

If you wanted to live a life that never changes or has no future risk,
just kill yourself now. After death is the only time that doesn't change
for you. You just might eventually get cancer, a toe infection, or a
broken
fingernail. That horrible possibility alone should be enough to make you
want to find a friendly doctor and have him take you and your fears out of
this world for good.

jim rozen

In article . net, carl mciver
says...

So when California has a little quake and all hell breaks loose,
everyone should just give up and leave, right? Oh, darn, San Francisco
residents would have to introduce themselves to the real world. Should the
entire east coast just go ahead and leave now, since they got hurricanes
just as bad? If New York gets slammed by another 9/11, I'd hope they'd cut
and run too!

There were folks moving back into NYC after 9/11 by this time.

New Orleans is still in pretty deep trouble with more breached
levees from this last go-round, pumps still not running 100%,
and the infrastructure well-thrashed. Not to dismiss the NYC
events, I think (especially given that the ultimate death toll will
be order of magnitude the same) the N.O. events will prove
more difficult and costly to sort out.

Jim

please reply to:
Spehro Pefhany

On 26 Sep 2005 05:20:21 -0700, the renowned jim rozen
wrote:

In article . net, carl mciver
says...

So when California has a little quake and all hell breaks loose,
everyone should just give up and leave, right? Oh, darn, San Francisco
residents would have to introduce themselves to the real world. Should the
entire east coast just go ahead and leave now, since they got hurricanes
just as bad? If New York gets slammed by another 9/11, I'd hope they'd cut
and run too!

There were folks moving back into NYC after 9/11 by this time.

New Orleans is still in pretty deep trouble with more breached
levees from this last go-round, pumps still not running 100%,
and the infrastructure well-thrashed. Not to dismiss the NYC
events, I think (especially given that the ultimate death toll will
be order of magnitude the same) the N.O. events will prove
more difficult and costly to sort out.

Jim

Particularly if they find a way to pin Katrina and Rita on the
Iranians. They're allies of the Russians, have lots of money, and the
Russians are known to have been experimenting with weather control
technology, you know. See: Elate Intelligent Technologies, Inc.

;-)

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Martin H. Eastburn

Well smart guy - the 89 earthquake - Loma Preata - hit near Engineman1 and my house -
about 5 miles from each. Naturally anyone not living there says San Francisco quake -
but that is 80 miles away.

We were out of power and phone for 18 days. Everyone in the world got to see the
pictures of Oakland and SFO, no one got to see the 400 houses in my valey or few
got to see the crushed Downtown of Santa Cruz.

A winter storm a couple of years ago put us out for 14 days.
We just had lived through hundreds of blackouts over the years to come live back
at home to have a 1.5 day blackout.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life