Martin H. Eastburn

Well smart guy - the 89 earthquake - Loma Preata - hit near Engineman1 and my house -
about 5 miles from each. Naturally anyone not living there says San Francisco quake -
but that is 80 miles away.

We were out of power and phone for 18 days. Everyone in the world got to see the
pictures of Oakland and SFO, no one got to see the 400 houses in my valey or few
got to see the crushed Downtown of Santa Cruz.

A winter storm a couple of years ago put us out for 14 days.
We just had lived through hundreds of blackouts over the years to come live back
at home to have a 1.5 day blackout.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

jim rozen wrote:
In article . net, carl mciver
says...

So when California has a little quake and all hell breaks loose,
everyone should just give up and leave, right? Oh, darn, San Francisco
residents would have to introduce themselves to the real world. Should the
entire east coast just go ahead and leave now, since they got hurricanes
just as bad? If New York gets slammed by another 9/11, I'd hope they'd cut
and run too!

There were folks moving back into NYC after 9/11 by this time.

New Orleans is still in pretty deep trouble with more breached
levees from this last go-round, pumps still not running 100%,
and the infrastructure well-thrashed. Not to dismiss the NYC
events, I think (especially given that the ultimate death toll will
be order of magnitude the same) the N.O. events will prove
more difficult and costly to sort out.

Jim