Eric R Snow

Default Dog tags

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:06:41 GMT, Ignoramus19652
wrote:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

What about a tatoo? Or an RFID chip under the skin? They make 'em for
animals, oughta work for people.
ERS
Trevor Jones

Ignoramus19652 wrote:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Lots of surplus places that will stamp out dogtags on their machines.
other than that there is always the cheap alternative of cutting them
out from sheet aluminum yourself.

The military standard issue is ball chain. My set has been threaded
though a sleeve made from the outer layer of parachute cord. A little
heat from a lighter and some fast finder work and the ends will seal and
grip the chain. Quieter, and not as cold.

The baby. Try a velcro or elastic closure on an ankle bracelet under
his or her sock or booty. In a dire emergency I would consider a Sharpie
marker and mark the child's name and your SSN or some other traceable
info onto the childs leg, arm or chest.

Cheers
Trevor Jones
Dave Hinz

wrote:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

What about a tatoo? Or an RFID chip under the skin? They make 'em for
animals, oughta work for people.

Iggy,

I see guys with dogtag-making machines all the time at gunshows in
Wisconsin. Next time I see one I'll get you a card & give you the info.
Or, in the Wisconsin Dells, the "Dells Army Ducks" place has a dogtag
maker and may do phone orders. As far as attaching it to your infant;
didn't you just get a new welder?

Dave "Father of 2, including a 10-month-old" Hinz

Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus19652 wrote:
I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

I still have the dog tag I had to wear as a child in San Francisco
public schools during WWII. It has just my name, address and phone
number on it.

IIRC it was a mandatory thing.

There was some concern about air raids on the pacific coast during the
early years of that war. Though to the best of my knowledge, the only
two that were actually carried out by airplanes were the Japanese
carrier launched ones which ineffectively dropped firebombs in Oregon:

http://everything2.com/?node_id=1146757

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Joe Gorman

Trevor Jones wrote:
Ignoramus19652 wrote:

[...]

Use your states drivers license number prefixed with (state 2 letter
abbreviation)DL. It's usually easier getting the information associated
with a drivers license number than a SSAN now days.
Joe

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Ignoramus19652 wrote:
I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

You could also have their SSANs tatooed on the inside of their
cheeks.

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

I daresay that for safety's sake you do not want it to be
very strong else it becomes a strangulation hazard should it
get caught on something like a fence post or tree branch.

I have read that WWII aviators wore their dogtags on a string,
instead of a chain as if they caught fire the chain might cause
more severe burns to the neck whereas the string would simply
burn through, dropping the hot tags down into the pilot's shorts
instead ...

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Clip it to his diaper perhaps?

I still have the dog tag I had to wear as a child in San Francisco
public schools during WWII. It has just my name, address and phone
number on it.

IIRC it was a mandatory thing.

There was some concern about air raids on the pacific coast during the
early years of that war. Though to the best of my knowledge, the only
two that were actually carried out by airplanes were the Japanese
carrier launched ones which ineffectively dropped firebombs in Oregon:

http://everything2.com/?node_id=1146757

In 1942 there was also a carrier-based attack on a California
Refinery, the incindiery bombs failed to explode on impact. There
was a massive AAA response to the attack, the official explanation
was that some US planes were mistaken for bogies. Some observers
may have mistaken the smoke cloud formed by the exploding munitions
for a large Zepplin-like craft as you sometimes see that incident
reported as a UFO sighting.

And there was an incident in which a Japanese submarine surfaced
and shelled a fuel depot on an island off the California coast.

--

FF

Curly Surmudgeon

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 12:39:32 -0600, Trevor Jones wrote:

Ignoramus19652 wrote:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Lots of surplus places that will stamp out dogtags on their machines.
other than that there is always the cheap alternative of cutting them
out from sheet aluminum yourself.

My dogtags are stainless steel as are my dad's from WWII.

The military standard issue is ball chain. My set has been threaded
though a sleeve made from the outer layer of parachute cord. A little
heat from a lighter and some fast finder work and the ends will seal and
grip the chain. Quieter, and not as cold.

The baby. Try a velcro or elastic closure on an ankle bracelet under
his or her sock or booty. In a dire emergency I would consider a Sharpie
marker and mark the child's name and your SSN or some other traceable
info onto the childs leg, arm or chest.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

--
-- Regards, Curly
http://curlysurmudgeon.com/blog/

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 19:21:20 GMT, Ignoramus19652 wrote:
On 23 Sep 2005 18:47:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I see guys with dogtag-making machines all the time at gunshows in
Wisconsin. Next time I see one I'll get you a card & give you the info.
Or, in the Wisconsin Dells, the "Dells Army Ducks" place has a dogtag
maker and may do phone orders.

Come to think about it, we were in WD just 2 months ago.

Ah...(uncomfortable pause)...listen, if I flipped you off (license
plates being what they are), I should probably apologize at this point.
Hypothetically, that is.

As far as attaching it to your infant; didn't you just get a new
welder?

rotflmao...

Yeah. As if you could get a little one to stand still long enough to
get a good ground...

We've got a place here in town that does them for $4.95, including the
chains. I got a couple of sets for my son just before he turned three.
Anytime we go off the property, he puts his tag on and tucks it in his
shirt. When we fly or drive somewhere out of town, a second tag goes
into the laces of one of his shoes. Most of the kids in his school
think it's the coolest item to have. Even the little girls have been
heard begging to have a set made for them.

Mac's set has his full legal name, address and city, my mobile phone
number and my parents home number. The two different phone numbers are
because soneone is at either number almost 24 hours a day.

Craig C.

Offbreed

Ignoramus19652 wrote:

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Tattoo.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 18:06:41 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Ignoramus19652 quickly quoth:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

I think they're $8 a pop delivered off Ebay. Maybe less in qty.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Yeah, there sure is. Via tattoo, Iggy!

* Blessed are those who can * Humorous T-shirts Online
* laugh at themselves, for they * Comprehensive Website Dev.
* shall never cease to be amused * http://www.diversify.com
Karl Vorwerk

As a general rule (assuming I remember it correctly) neck chains should
break at no more than 10 lbs force to prevent injury. It doesn't have to be
the whole chain. It can be the clasp serving as a weak link.
Karl

wrote:
Ignoramus19652 wrote:

I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Lots of surplus places that will stamp out dogtags on their machines.
other than that there is always the cheap alternative of cutting them
out from sheet aluminum yourself.

Thanks. The tags are 40 cents each on ebay, it's chump
change. I already have an engraver, which my wife can use very
beautifully (she has excellent handwriting and engraving skills and
makes beautiful engravings).

I guess my main question is about chains.

The military standard issue is ball chain. My set has been threaded
though a sleeve made from the outer layer of parachute cord. A little
heat from a lighter and some fast finder work and the ends will seal and
grip the chain. Quieter, and not as cold.

That's a nice idea.

The baby. Try a velcro or elastic closure on an ankle bracelet under
his or her sock or booty. In a dire emergency I would consider a Sharpie
marker and mark the child's name and your SSN or some other traceable
info onto the childs leg, arm or chest.

That's another good idea. These markings, though, do not last long,
based on experience (he marks himself with these markers a lot).

Nick Hull

In article ,

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Yeah, there sure is. Via tattoo, Iggy!

Magic marker works, will eventually wear off.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Nick Hull

In article ,
Dave Hinz wrote:

As far as attaching it to your infant; didn't you just get a new
welder?

rotflmao...

Yeah. As if you could get a little one to stand still long enough to
get a good ground...

Much easier to just staple it on, probably only needs one...

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
DoN. Nichols

According to Nick Hull :
In article ,

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Yeah, there sure is. Via tattoo, Iggy!

Magic marker works, will eventually wear off.

So will using a rubber stamp moistened with Silver Nitrate
(AGNO3) solution. After about an hour or two, it will start fading in
darker and darker, and will remain until several layers of skin wear
off. There is *no* way to wash it off -- at least with chemicals which
you are willing to have touch your (or his/her) skin.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

T.Alan Kraus

Use a washer, engrave it, slit the ear of the infant, insert the washer,
stitch the part you slit to hold the washer in place, let it heal for a
week and a half. You got yourself a decorative ear washer-tag.
When the kid grows up to school age he/she will be a cool dude/dudette

cheers
T.Alan

Ignoramus19652 wrote:
I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Martin H. Eastburn

Gnaw man - use the new cool Sony MP3 earlobe player that plugs into the ear when mounted on the ear.
Store vitals there and listen to the tunes. Made for the X ladies so it seems. Projects text
on the neck as to song...

Simply wild.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

brassbend wrote:
Dog tags are so "Yesterday". Us a metal tag attached to the ear with a
grommet.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message

As a general rule (assuming I remember it correctly) neck chains should
break at no more than 10 lbs force to prevent injury. It doesn't have to

be

the whole chain. It can be the clasp serving as a weak link.
Karl

.. .

wrote:

Ignoramus19652 wrote:

[...]

Karl Vorwerk

I like those plastic ear tags the cows wear. You could even color code them.
Karl

brassbend wrote:
Dog tags are so "Yesterday". Us a metal tag attached to the ear with a
grommet.

"Karl Vorwerk" wrote in message

As a general rule (assuming I remember it correctly) neck chains should
break at no more than 10 lbs force to prevent injury. It doesn't have to

be

the whole chain. It can be the clasp serving as a weak link.
Karl

. ..

wrote:

Ignoramus19652 wrote:

[...]

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:41:25 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Karl
Vorwerk" quickly quoth:

I like those plastic ear tags the cows wear. You could even color code them.

Sacre bleu! Laser barcoding of zee temple vood be tres chic, non?

--
"Simplicity of life, even the barest, is not misery but
the very foundation of refinement." --William Morris
carl mciver

"Ignoramus19652" wrote in message
. ..
| I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
| and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
| tags?
|
| Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
| unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
| infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
| would be better.
|
| Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
| case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Military dogtags are stamped (embossed,) not etched. I still have one
of mine on my keychain. Will never wear off, and I got 'em almost twenty
years ago, which in a dogtag's life, is nothing. They last longer and will
still be legible even in the worst conditions. We also had little rubber
silences to go around the dogtag to keep them quieter, since folks running
found the noise annoying. I would suspect that you can find them made to
your liking damn near anywhere they're sold, including ebay
The ball chain has been well tested by the services, and are the best
way to go. You can get the chain at the hardware store. The sleeve from
parachute cord is good, but the chain is bright so it can be seen better in
darkness.
I think because an infant's skin is so fragile and they're so likely to
put things in their mouth, there really isn't a good place on their body to
put tags. I think that if you had a safety pin attached to their clothes
that might be a much better way to go, and you can keep it on their back,
out of sight and reach for the child, but within reach for an adult and easy
to confirm its presence.
Here's a fellow on ebay who does a bunch of just that:
http://stores.ebay.com/AB-retailer-and-card-supplies and look for dog tags.
They aren't cheap, but to get the good stuff you can't do it for next to
nothing.

Curly Surmudgeon

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 17:03:19 +0000, carl mciver wrote:

"Ignoramus19652" wrote in message
. ..
| I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
| and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
| tags?
|
| Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
| unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
| infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
| would be better.
|
| Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
| case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Military dogtags are stamped (embossed,) not etched. I still have one
of mine on my keychain. Will never wear off, and I got 'em almost twenty
years ago, which in a dogtag's life, is nothing. They last longer and will
still be legible even in the worst conditions. We also had little rubber
silences to go around the dogtag to keep them quieter, since folks running
found the noise annoying. I would suspect that you can find them made to
your liking damn near anywhere they're sold, including ebay

You're right, Google is your friend, people should learn to use it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...bossed&spell=1