Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Ignoramus19652 wrote:
I would like to buy several dog tags for my family. I have an engraver
and an etcher. Which of them would be better for writing on these dog
tags?

You could also have their SSANs tatooed on the inside of their
cheeks.

Second question, what chain to use for them that's most comfortable,
unconspicuous and yet strong. Two adults, one 4 year old and one
infant soon to appear. Something cheap that can be bought off ebay
would be better.

I daresay that for safety's sake you do not want it to be
very strong else it becomes a strangulation hazard should it
get caught on something like a fence post or tree branch.

I have read that WWII aviators wore their dogtags on a string,
instead of a chain as if they caught fire the chain might cause
more severe burns to the neck whereas the string would simply
burn through, dropping the hot tags down into the pilot's shorts
instead ...

Third, is there some way to safely attach a dog tag to an infant in
case of emergency, so that he does not strangle himself with it.

Clip it to his diaper perhaps?

I still have the dog tag I had to wear as a child in San Francisco
public schools during WWII. It has just my name, address and phone
number on it.

IIRC it was a mandatory thing.

There was some concern about air raids on the pacific coast during the
early years of that war. Though to the best of my knowledge, the only
two that were actually carried out by airplanes were the Japanese
carrier launched ones which ineffectively dropped firebombs in Oregon:

http://everything2.com/?node_id=1146757

In 1942 there was also a carrier-based attack on a California
Refinery, the incindiery bombs failed to explode on impact. There
was a massive AAA response to the attack, the official explanation
was that some US planes were mistaken for bogies. Some observers
may have mistaken the smoke cloud formed by the exploding munitions
for a large Zepplin-like craft as you sometimes see that incident
reported as a UFO sighting.

And there was an incident in which a Japanese submarine surfaced
and shelled a fuel depot on an island off the California coast.

--

FF