Eric R Snow

Default Help please with Windows Media Player

I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9. I can
listen using Winamp or Real Audio, but not with windows media player.
Also, if I do try to listen with Winamp or Real Audio after tring to
use wmp there is no sound. The computer must be re-booted to be able
to hear any sound. When trying to use wmp no sound can be heard. Not
the sounds windows makes when you press the wrong button etc. What am
I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Eric
Grant Erwin

Eric R Snow wrote:

I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9. I can
listen using Winamp or Real Audio, but not with windows media player.
Also, if I do try to listen with Winamp or Real Audio after tring to
use wmp there is no sound. The computer must be re-booted to be able
to hear any sound. When trying to use wmp no sound can be heard. Not
the sounds windows makes when you press the wrong button etc. What am
I doing wrong?

I used W98 for many years, and Karen still does. Our solution to this problem
wasn't really a solution: we never used WMP unless we had to for some reason.
When I do streaming audio (the only one I do regularly is the surf show at 8PM
Pacific time on Saturday nights from KFJC radio www.kfjc.org, go check it out,
you'll be hooked like I was) I use Winamp.

If you want to dig deeper you're going to have to go into the maws of the beast:
go to microsoft.com and start wading through their online help. They should have
a big warning screen that comes up when you start that says,

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

That's all I have to say about Windows. At my house we have a few topics which
we do NOT discuss (they being too incendiary). They a word processing
software, traffic laws, and any Microsoft software. (NO KIDDING) Peace.

Grant
FredSmith

I use Real Alternative for playing everything. Among other places, it
can be found at
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...lternative.htm

FS

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:00:04 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9. I can
listen using Winamp or Real Audio, but not with windows media player.
Also, if I do try to listen with Winamp or Real Audio after tring to
use wmp there is no sound. The computer must be re-booted to be able
to hear any sound. When trying to use wmp no sound can be heard. Not
the sounds windows makes when you press the wrong button etc. What am
I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Eric

Abrasha

Eric R Snow wrote:
I hate windows stuff.

Welcome to the club!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Abrasha

Grant Erwin wrote:

If you want to dig deeper you're going to have to go into the maws of
the beast: go to microsoft.com and start wading through their online
help. They should have a big warning screen that comes up when you start
that says,

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

That's all I have to say about Windows. At my house we have a few topics
which we do NOT discuss (they being too incendiary). They a word
processing software, traffic laws, and any Microsoft software. (NO
KIDDING) Peace.

Grant

At my house the kids and my wife just roll their eyes when I start my
(almost daily) rant against Windows, Micro$oft, and/or Bill "the
Antichrist" Gates.

I, as many others, despise Windows, as well as almost any Microsoft
application. Unfortunately a lot of the programs that I have used for
many years, and still use, are not published for the Mac. And Virtual
PC (another Micro$oft product) on the Mac is not an option for me.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Abrasha

Eric R Snow wrote:
I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9.

As I said before, welcome to the club.

Having said that, your OS is extremely outdated. If you don't want
switch to a Mac, which is a great alternative if you are not dependent
on Windows only application software, then you are long overdue for an
OS upgrade.

Get XP and do a clean install, not an upgrade.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Robert Swinney

Fugitabbut obtaining any help from Microsoft! You will only get totally
discouraged by all the sing-song (Chinese) or heavy Indian or Pakastani
accents. They become less understandable as the session wears on; question
one or ask them to repeat and they only talk faster and less coherently.
Hey! But the price is right - only a waste of your time. When I had Win
98, I got good help from the regular Microsoft help line but had to pay for
it. AFAIK, most of the regular help people speak English but I don't hold
out much hope for you getting any resolution for a Win 98 problem.

Bob Swinney

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Eric R Snow wrote:
I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9.

As I said before, welcome to the club.

Having said that, your OS is extremely outdated. If you don't want switch
to a Mac, which is a great alternative if you are not dependent on Windows
only application software, then you are long overdue for an OS upgrade.

Get XP and do a clean install, not an upgrade.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Tim Williams

"Abrasha" wrote in message
As I said before, welcome to the club.

Having said that, your OS is extremely outdated.

I really enjoy these threads, I really do. The subject is about not being
able to use software that any non-nerd nine-year-old can operate, how
embarrasing!

Windows 98 may be 7 years old, but nothing's changed about the world except
the most intensive applications -- mostly industrial programs like CAD, and
the top games -- that demands an operating system any newer.

'98SE handles my Duron just fine, and just reading e-mail, newsgroups, light
internet work (if hard to find with the overabundance of Flash and
Javascript today) and word processing doesn't even need anything so
sophisticated anyway. (Geez, computers have been word processing earlier
than 1980!)

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:53:21 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Abrasha" wrote in message
As I said before, welcome to the club.

Having said that, your OS is extremely outdated.

I really enjoy these threads, I really do. The subject is about not being
able to use software that any non-nerd nine-year-old can operate, how
embarrasing!

Windows 98 may be 7 years old, but nothing's changed about the world except
the most intensive applications -- mostly industrial programs like CAD, and
the top games -- that demands an operating system any newer.

'98SE handles my Duron just fine, and just reading e-mail, newsgroups, light
internet work (if hard to find with the overabundance of Flash and
Javascript today) and word processing doesn't even need anything so
sophisticated anyway. (Geez, computers have been word processing earlier
than 1980!)

Tim

OK smartypants, why doesn't wmp work on my computer? What do I need to
do or change?
Eric
Abrasha

Tim Williams wrote:
"Abrasha" wrote in message

As I said before, welcome to the club.

Having said that, your OS is extremely outdated.

I really enjoy these threads, I really do. The subject is about not being
able to use software that any non-nerd nine-year-old can operate, how
embarrasing!

Smart ass!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Tim Williams

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
OK smartypants, why doesn't wmp work on my computer? What do I need to
do or change?

Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions... could be drivers,
configuration, bad installation of something or other, etc. Think I'd have
to see the computer to fix it, really.

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.

Terry

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9. I can
listen using Winamp or Real Audio, but not with windows media player.
Also, if I do try to listen with Winamp or Real Audio after tring to
use wmp there is no sound. The computer must be re-booted to be able
to hear any sound. When trying to use wmp no sound can be heard. Not
the sounds windows makes when you press the wrong button etc. What am
I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

WMP 9 has definite OS/driver/hardware requirements. Make sure that you are
using at least Win 98 SE (Second Edition). Usually, the drivers from Win 98
SE through Win 2000/XP are supported by WMP 9 as long as the audio hardware
is capable. If you are using just plain Win 98 (not SE) then that could be
your problem and you do need to upgrade your OS. If you are using Win 98 SE
then try upgrading your drivers for your current audio hardware. If that
does not work then you might want to replace your audio hardware. If your
hardware does not support WMP 9's capabilities then it will not matter what
OS you are using, it won't work and you must upgrade your hardware. If your
audio is integrated into your MB (motherboard) then you may be looking at a
serious hardware upgrade if you stick with WMP.

Good luck,

Terry

Eric R Snow

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:00:29 -0400, "Terry"
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Greetings Terry,
Thanks for the info. I am running 98SE. But the sound is built into
the motherboard. So it looks like the real fix is to buy a sound card.
Thanks Again,
Eric