Eric R Snow

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:00:29 -0400, "Terry"
wrote:

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
I hate windows stuff. I like to listen to streaming audio from the
internet. I'm using windows 98. Windows media player ver. 9. I can
listen using Winamp or Real Audio, but not with windows media player.
Also, if I do try to listen with Winamp or Real Audio after tring to
use wmp there is no sound. The computer must be re-booted to be able
to hear any sound. When trying to use wmp no sound can be heard. Not
the sounds windows makes when you press the wrong button etc. What am
I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

WMP 9 has definite OS/driver/hardware requirements. Make sure that you are
using at least Win 98 SE (Second Edition). Usually, the drivers from Win 98
SE through Win 2000/XP are supported by WMP 9 as long as the audio hardware
is capable. If you are using just plain Win 98 (not SE) then that could be
your problem and you do need to upgrade your OS. If you are using Win 98 SE
then try upgrading your drivers for your current audio hardware. If that
does not work then you might want to replace your audio hardware. If your
hardware does not support WMP 9's capabilities then it will not matter what
OS you are using, it won't work and you must upgrade your hardware. If your
audio is integrated into your MB (motherboard) then you may be looking at a
serious hardware upgrade if you stick with WMP.

Good luck,

Terry

Greetings Terry,
Thanks for the info. I am running 98SE. But the sound is built into
the motherboard. So it looks like the real fix is to buy a sound card.
Thanks Again,
Eric