Waynemak

Default New source for discounted steel

I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full of
cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she said
if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain this to
the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4 1/4 wall
stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these new
projects floating in ny head.

Proctologically Violated©®

Surprised they don't put them on ebay.

This is a very good idea, tho, cuz steel warehouses themselves pretty much
hoard everything.
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Waynemak" wrote in message
I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full of
cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she said
if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain this to
the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4 1/4 wall
stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these new
projects floating in ny head.

Waynemak

I gave it a few seconds of thought, but shipping this stuff would become a
real pain.

I have been lucky finding the scraps, I was able to get about 1500 LBS of
nice sized aluminum pieces (many 6 foot long) for $200. I have a **** load
of aluminum. That person was nice enought to load me up with 1000 pounds of
misc steel and tool steel, he just wanted it out. But none of the stuff was
long. I have some 6" diameter by 18" long tool steel that I will never have
a use for but took it just in case. Sure hope I don't have to move anytime
soon.

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full
of cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she
said if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain
this to the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4
1/4 wall stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these
new projects floating in ny head.

Proctologically Violated©®

Where'd you get the alum and tool steel from? Man, *I* gotta find guys like
these!
----------------------------
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full
of cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she
said if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain
this to the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4
1/4 wall stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these
new projects floating in ny head.

Waynemak

Those items are from a man who is closing up his shop. When I pick up the
good stuff he will give an old cabinet or someting that needs to be dumped
or kept. The local recycling center takes metal for free so its a win win.

"Waynemak" wrote in message
I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full
of cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab,
she said if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to
explain this to the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section
of 4 x 4 1/4 wall stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have
all these new projects floating in ny head.

wallster

Waynemak wrote:
I needed a small piece of 4"x4" square tube for a tractor attachment,
stopped in a local steel building erector. They had a full roll off full of
cut offs. They said anything under 8 feet they dump. $20 per grab, she said
if I come after they close its free????. I didn't want to explain this to
the local police so I paid $20.00 for a 8 foot section of 4 x 4 1/4 wall
stock. All new with no rust, the problem is now I have all these new
projects floating in ny head.

I go to a nationally franchised metal supplier called The metal
supermarket http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
they cut the steel to size, which is handy if everything is premeasured
plus you pay for the cut size. They're a little pricey, but unless you
know of a place that is willing to let there scraps go cheap, they may
be your only alternative. I never pass up free stock (as long as i cam
make room for it)I really have to think about a project based on the
cost of the steel.
good luck,

walt

Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 09:24 PM
China is buying alot of scrap steel, will this be a problem? Walt Metalworking 34 April 4th 04 12:52 AM
Looking for High speed steel source in canada blabla Woodworking 7 January 26th 04 03:13 AM
blue steel for carving tools? Bob Swinney Metalworking 7 July 17th 03 01:39 AM