dddd

Default Source for Carbon Drill Rod (samller than AWG 52)

Anybody know of a source for carbon drill rod in sizes between AWG 65 and 72
in 36 inch lengths? Did a search for steel and looked up Buffalo Precision
and Windsor Steel, called several houses and no, Small Parts does not carry
it either.

I need to anneal, shape and harden it for gongs, and piano wire does not
sound as clear drill rod after I am done.
--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com

Eastburn

If anyone can - I bet these guys can!

I have used them before - they do normal drill blanks and specials and
have unique.

Nice people. http://www.drillblanks.com/main.html

They make the drill blanks for leading drill companies.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
dddd

Default Source for Carbon Drill Rod (samller than Drill size (Ne AWG) 52)

Brain cramp. Drill sizes 72, 70, 66 and 65. Thanks.

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

No, these are gongs for pocket watches (minute repeaters, quarter repeaters,
clock watches, etc.)

--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Ebay Sales:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...ems&userid=dsc
Restorations, Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen
Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

"Stan Schaefer" wrote in message
om...
"dddd" wrote in message

Anybody know of a source for carbon drill rod in sizes between AWG 65

and 72
in 36 inch lengths? Did a search for steel and looked up Buffalo

Precision
and Windsor Steel, called several houses and no, Small Parts does not

carry
it either.

I need to anneal, shape and harden it for gongs, and piano wire does not
sound as clear drill rod after I am done.

Drill rod is sold in drill sizes, number, letter, fractional or
metric, not AWG, so you'll have to convert. I've seen up to #60, I
imagine you could get stuff smaller than that if you ordered large
quantities. I've ordered O-1 drill rod in the smaller number sizes
from MSC, there's other industrial suppliers out there, too. O-1
isn't plain carbon steel, but it is hardenable. Piano wire IS plain
carbon steel, but isn't really meant to be heat-treated, O-1 is.
Drill rod is ground, piano wire is drawn, if that makes a difference
to you. Are these like clock gongs or chimes?

Stan

dddd

Tried em (and one or two others). The American drill houses use HSS for the
drills smaller than 52. My oven only goes to 2000 F so I can't heat treat
HSS. One guy said he could grind 8 in lengths of o-1 to the needed sizes
but it would add $2 per length. Given I want 4 X 36 inches of each size,
this quickly adds up.

From the looks at the catalogs on the websites, I suspect American
production does not go below 1/16th in carbon drill rod. Then you have to
go to straightened piano wire which does not work in this application.

--

"Eastburn" wrote in message
If anyone can - I bet these guys can!

I have used them before - they do normal drill blanks and specials and
have unique.

Nice people. http://www.drillblanks.com/main.html

They make the drill blanks for leading drill companies.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life

frank

Have you tried a Casenite immersion heat treat? You should be able to get
full penetration and quite a bit of carbon into just about any steel that
small.

Start with generic piano wire and do a full hard case hardening. The stuff
will
be as brittle as glass. You will need to figure out the carbon bake times
and
tempering.

"dddd" wrote in message
Anybody know of a source for carbon drill rod in sizes between AWG 65 and

72
in 36 inch lengths? Did a search for steel and looked up Buffalo

Precision
and Windsor Steel, called several houses and no, Small Parts does not

carry
it either.

I need to anneal, shape and harden it for gongs, and piano wire does not
sound as clear drill rod after I am done.
--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com
Ebay Sales:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...ems&userid=dsc
Restorations, Parts for Hamilton M21s, Products for Craftsmen
Makers of Historic Timekeepers Ultrasonic Clock Cleaning Solution

dddd

All I can say is that the tones are VERY different. I don't even go to
purple, I leave em straw.

I have an electric oven that hits 2000 F. I bake the wires at 1500 F; form
em, heat to cherry, quench, temper to 440 F (good 45 minutes).

I did not know the mod elasticity and density were the same. I thank you
for your comments.

I suppose it could be the "piano wire" I am using; but it was sold to me
*as* piano wire.

--

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
dddd wrote:

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

I am very puzzled by this statement. Piano wire and drill rod are
*very* similar in composition and have the same modulus of elasticty and
density. Have you tried:
Normalize
Anneal
Harden
Temper (puple colour)

Ted

Stan Schaefer

dddd wrote:

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

I am very puzzled by this statement. Piano wire and drill rod are
*very* similar in composition and have the same modulus of elasticty and
density. Have you tried:
Normalize
Anneal
Harden
Temper (puple colour)

Ted

For some reason, piano wire(at least the stuff I've got) doesn't
respond too well to this. Annealing works fine, you can anneal the
ends of a piece to form loops and such really easily. When you go to
reharden, though, you get a really coarse grain structure and the
piece usually breaks or shatters, even after tempering. For winding
springs, I wind the stuff as-is and cold.

O-1 drill rod is NOT straight carbon steel, there's some other
alloying elements in there. All drill rod isn't the same composition,
I don't know what the O.P. has on hand. I've even had some "drill
rod" from the hardware store that was nothing of the sort, it was
drawn steel shafting, not hardenable at all, but was sold as drill
rod. Nasty stuff, unturnable, unhardenable. Since then, I don't buy
anything like that without a pedigree and heat treating instructions.
For chimes, the O.P. probably wants as hard as he can get without the
piece shattering.

Stan
Jack Erbes

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003 07:03:53 -0400, "dddd" wrote:

Brain cramp. Drill sizes 72, 70, 66 and 65. Thanks.

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

No, these are gongs for pocket watches (minute repeaters, quarter repeaters,
clock watches, etc.)

Brownells sells a reasonable range of sizes of W-1 and O-1 drill rod.
Their catalog has the specs on the material, complete and detailed
instructions for hardening and tempering. The same catalog page also
has handy dandy tables of annealing temps, metal melting points, and
tempering colors for carbon steel.

Brownells will send their catalogs to anyone, even the totally inept.
That is evidenced by the bold faced warning, "DO NOT USE A MICROWAVE!"
in the instructions for tempering.

They also sell some mild steel, brass, and stainless steel rounds,
squares, and flat bar.

And they sell assortments of coiled, straight, and flat spring steel
stock for making springs.

Makita Cordless 18V Drill - Chuck Noise Quddus UK diy 5 June 28th 04 10:09 AM
Large wood / steel hs drill bit with small shank? T i m UK diy 38 May 19th 04 07:01 PM
Grind-It-Yourself Drill bits N. Thornton UK diy 16 March 29th 04 12:42 AM
Core drills David Hearn UK diy 14 October 25th 03 07:40 PM
Drill chuck for >.020 drill bit Ryan Metalworking 11 August 7th 03 07:19 PM