Stan Schaefer

Default Source for Carbon Drill Rod (samller than Drill size (Ne AWG) 52)

Ted Edwards wrote in message ...
dddd wrote:

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

I am very puzzled by this statement. Piano wire and drill rod are
*very* similar in composition and have the same modulus of elasticty and
density. Have you tried:
Normalize
Anneal
Harden
Temper (puple colour)

Ted

For some reason, piano wire(at least the stuff I've got) doesn't
respond too well to this. Annealing works fine, you can anneal the
ends of a piece to form loops and such really easily. When you go to
reharden, though, you get a really coarse grain structure and the
piece usually breaks or shatters, even after tempering. For winding
springs, I wind the stuff as-is and cold.

O-1 drill rod is NOT straight carbon steel, there's some other
alloying elements in there. All drill rod isn't the same composition,
I don't know what the O.P. has on hand. I've even had some "drill
rod" from the hardware store that was nothing of the sort, it was
drawn steel shafting, not hardenable at all, but was sold as drill
rod. Nasty stuff, unturnable, unhardenable. Since then, I don't buy
anything like that without a pedigree and heat treating instructions.
For chimes, the O.P. probably wants as hard as he can get without the
piece shattering.

Stan