dddd

Default Source for Carbon Drill Rod (samller than Drill size (Ne AWG) 52)

Brain cramp. Drill sizes 72, 70, 66 and 65. Thanks.

Piano wire does not not have the clear sound of drill rod after all the
procedures.

No, these are gongs for pocket watches (minute repeaters, quarter repeaters,
clock watches, etc.)

--
Regards,
Dewey Clark http://www.historictimekeepers.com

"Stan Schaefer" wrote in message
om...
"dddd" wrote in message

Anybody know of a source for carbon drill rod in sizes between AWG 65

and 72
in 36 inch lengths? Did a search for steel and looked up Buffalo

Precision
and Windsor Steel, called several houses and no, Small Parts does not

carry
it either.

I need to anneal, shape and harden it for gongs, and piano wire does not
sound as clear drill rod after I am done.

Drill rod is sold in drill sizes, number, letter, fractional or
metric, not AWG, so you'll have to convert. I've seen up to #60, I
imagine you could get stuff smaller than that if you ordered large
quantities. I've ordered O-1 drill rod in the smaller number sizes
from MSC, there's other industrial suppliers out there, too. O-1
isn't plain carbon steel, but it is hardenable. Piano wire IS plain
carbon steel, but isn't really meant to be heat-treated, O-1 is.
Drill rod is ground, piano wire is drawn, if that makes a difference
to you. Are these like clock gongs or chimes?

Stan