plh

Default Where can I get a wrench like this?

http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?
Thanx,
plh

--
I keep hitting "Esc" -- but I'm still here!
Grant Erwin

plh wrote:
http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?

The proper name for this is "ugly completely unusable image" and what I suggest
is you work a little harder at getting something that doesn't look like an image
off a broken radar screen ..

GWE

RAM^3

"plh" wrote in message

http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know
what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?

Are you sure that it's a wrench and not a hand vise?

Abrasha

Grant Erwin wrote:
plh wrote:

http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know
what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?

The proper name for this is "ugly completely unusable image" and what I
suggest is you work a little harder at getting something that doesn't
look like an image off a broken radar screen ..

GWE

It looked rather clear to me. Not a great scan, but legible nevertheless.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Martin H. Eastburn

Might not be a wrench - but a clamp.
Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

plh wrote:
http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?
Thanx,
plh

Nick Müller

plh wrote:

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process.

Micrometers? Are you nuts? This is more for the brutal job. But also,
there might be smaller variants.

We call it "Franzose" (Frenchman), the French call it "Clee Anglais"
(English wrench) and the English call it "French key".

Does that help?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Nick Müller

Nick Müller wrote:

and the English call it "French key".

I found another name: Adjustable spanner.

Here is a better picture (in German)
http://www.yatego.com/kalmartools-we...e,41dea170717c
d9_5,rollgabelschl%DCssel-franzose-?sid=5Y1125992019Y56e1ab82ff2e781299e

The name "Rollgabelschlüssel" they used for is not right. But, the also
named it "Franzose".

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
plh

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?= says...

plh wrote:

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process.

Micrometers? Are you nuts? This is more for the brutal job. But also,
there might be smaller variants.

Believe it or not, yes. It's used to straighten the frame. You have to be pretty
brutal to bend a micrometer frame, but it happens. When it is close enough you
lap in the carbide contacts.

We call it "Franzose" (Frenchman), the French call it "Clee Anglais"
(English wrench) and the English call it "French key".

Does that help?

Nothing turned up on Google, but thanks, it's a start.
-plh

--
I keep hitting "Esc" -- but I'm still here!
Nick Müller

plh wrote:

Believe it or not, yes. It's used to straighten the frame.

Ah! That's what I use the wrench for. Straigten or bend weldings, flat
iron, etc. _Very_ good for the job. I love the tool for to do things
like that.
Mine is quite old (I guess at least 50 years).

I thought you want to do turn some screws on the micrometer. :-)

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Martin H. Eastburn

The right side seems to black and non-descript - might be jaws or who knows what.

Seems to me it appeared to be a Jewel makers gripping vice just maybe.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Abrasha wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote:

plh wrote:

http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone
know what the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?

The proper name for this is "ugly completely unusable image" and what
I suggest is you work a little harder at getting something that
doesn't look like an image off a broken radar screen ..

GWE

It looked rather clear to me. Not a great scan, but legible nevertheless.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , plh
wrote:

http://member.newsguy.com/~robustus/images/Wrench.pdf

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process. Does anyone know what
the
proper name for this puppy is? Where to buy one?
Thanx,
plh

I have one.
They are eastern european.
My sister got me one in Checkoslovakia about 12 years ago.

In Prague they use it as the symbol for a car repair shop.

After trying to use it I can tell you it is the single most useless
wrench I have ever owned.

It barely fits anywhere under a car and tends to slip off and bark your
knuckles at any opportunity.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Ernie Leimkuhler

plh wrote:

The thing with the circle drawn around it was being used in Germany to
straighten Micrometers as part of the repair process.

Micrometers? Are you nuts? This is more for the brutal job. But also,
there might be smaller variants.

Believe it or not, yes. It's used to straighten the frame. You have to be
pretty
brutal to bend a micrometer frame, but it happens. When it is close enough
you
lap in the carbide contacts.

We call it "Franzose" (Frenchman), the French call it "Clee Anglais"
(English wrench) and the English call it "French key".

Does that help?

I just posted a pile of photos of the wrench I have.

Go to the www.Metalworking.com dropbox

and look for the files that start with Czech_wrench

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Nick Müller

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

They are eastern european.

Is this to express they are rubbish? ;-)
They are known and used in Europe. Call it "old europe", if you want.

In Prague they use it as the symbol for a car repair shop.

Not just there. I remember to have seen it in Austria, Germany and I
would not wonder in many more central europe countries. It was (or is)
used by the local variants of AMA to signal where you can get help for
your car.
But, that tools is going out of use. You already learned why. :-)

It barely fits anywhere under a car and tends to slip off and bark your
knuckles at any opportunity.

No use there. But do you remember the times when there was plenty of
room under the hood of any car? I use the spanner for plumbing work
sometimes, and most for the kind of jobs the OP needs it for. For that,
it really is excellent. Also as an hammer.

Oh, and if it slips off, you are using it in the wrong direction.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Peter W. Meek

On 6 Sep 2005 05:23:25 -0700, plh wrote:

Believe it or not, yes. It's used to straighten the frame. You have to be pretty
brutal to bend a micrometer frame, but it happens. When it is close enough you
lap in the carbide contacts.

As a child I thought my grandfather's micrometer
looked much like a child-sized C-clamp. Needless
to say, it required some repair, and I required
some fast education about which tools were for
generating force and which were for measuring.
(My grandfather had incredible anger control.)

I believe it only required lapping to return it
to accuracy, but the lesson was learned. I believe
that it was about this time (maybe 8 years old)
that I was set to making one-inch cubes from
bar stock with a hacksaw, files, micrometer and
try-square -- no light under the try-square and
closer to the zero-tenth vernier than to either
the .0001 or .0009 mark. I also learned that both
files and hacksaws (if new and sharp) were effective
metal working tools -- lessons I try to pass along
to new generations.
--
--Pete
"Peter W. Meek"
plh

Hello Nick,
Thanks so much for that information. I found that site, and a related site for
Kalmar Tools, but unfortunately they are all in German (Ich onhe eine kleine
verstanden kann!) and they don't seem to be going for an international presence.
If anyone knows of a site where I can order online in English, I'd appreciate
it! But I bet if I just call them up, someone on that end will speak English
(after being amused by my halting German). We had a German exchange student who
said that in Germany if you can't speak English everyone considers you
uneducated.
Thanks Again!

Nick Müller wrote:

and the English call it "French key".

I found another name: Adjustable spanner.

Here is a better picture (in German)
http://www.yatego.com/kalmartools-we...e,41dea170717c
d9_5,rollgabelschl%DCssel-franzose-?sid=5Y1125992019Y56e1ab82ff2e781299e

The name "Rollgabelschlüssel" they used for is not right. But, the also
named it "Franzose".

Nick

--
I keep hitting "Esc" -- but I'm still here!
Bob Chilcoat

A friend in Wales had a wrench similar to this (basically what we call a
"Monkey Wrench" in the US, but you turn the handle to close it up, not a
separate knurled roller. His was made by a company called "King Dick" (I'm
serious). He inherited it from his father, and had not seen one like it in
years. It was a great tool, because you can continually tighten it while
you apply torque, so it's less likely to round off the corners of a
fastener. His was around 10" long. I've always wanted one.

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
Nick Müller wrote:

and the English call it "French key".

I found another name: Adjustable spanner.

Here is a better picture (in German)
http://www.yatego.com/kalmartools-we...e,41dea170717c
d9_5,rollgabelschl%DCssel-franzose-?sid=5Y1125992019Y56e1ab82ff2e781299e

The name "Rollgabelschlüssel" they used for is not right. But, the also
named it "Franzose".

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

Christopher Tidy

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
A friend in Wales had a wrench similar to this (basically what we call a
"Monkey Wrench" in the US, but you turn the handle to close it up, not a
separate knurled roller. His was made by a company called "King Dick" (I'm
serious). He inherited it from his father, and had not seen one like it in
years. It was a great tool, because you can continually tighten it while
you apply torque, so it's less likely to round off the corners of a
fastener. His was around 10" long. I've always wanted one.

King Dick are still in business (http://www.kingdicktools.co.uk/). I
have quite a few King Dick tools. A lot of people laugh the first time
they see them. Most of the King Dick range are very good. Their only
product I have a slight complaint about is the adjustable wrench - the
tolerances aren't quite tight enough.

Chris

DoN. Nichols

According to Bob Chilcoat :
A friend in Wales had a wrench similar to this (basically what we call a
"Monkey Wrench" in the US, but you turn the handle to close it up, not a
separate knurled roller. His was made by a company called "King Dick" (I'm
serious).

I believe you. That was the brand of the screw jack which came
with the MGA (and probably other UK cars of the time.)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564