Artemia Salina

Default Hardinge Miller Spanner Wrench?

From what I've read, Hardinge millers came with a spanner
wrench to tighten and loosen its drawbar(s). I'd like to
make a wrench for my miller (right now I'm using a rubber
strap wrench). I'm sure I could cobble something together
but I'd like to try to copy the look of the original Hardinge
wrench. Does anyone out there have a photo of one that they
could put in the dropbox?

Thanks

Peter T. Keillor III

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:28:08 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

From what I've read, Hardinge millers came with a spanner
wrench to tighten and loosen its drawbar(s). I'd like to
make a wrench for my miller (right now I'm using a rubber
strap wrench). I'm sure I could cobble something together
but I'd like to try to copy the look of the original Hardinge
wrench. Does anyone out there have a photo of one that they
could put in the dropbox?

Thanks

That's going to be tough. It's like sheet metal (fairly heavy)
origami. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine and post
later today.

Mine has a crack at the business end. I've seen a few on e-bay, but
they go high. Some guy has a different device he claims works on
e-bay. I don't know if they work.

Pete Keillor
jim rozen

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

From what I've read, Hardinge millers came with a spanner
wrench to tighten and loosen its drawbar(s). I'd like to
make a wrench for my miller (right now I'm using a rubber
strap wrench). I'm sure I could cobble something together
but I'd like to try to copy the look of the original Hardinge
wrench. Does anyone out there have a photo of one that they
could put in the dropbox?

Well, it's not a really good photo, but it's already there,
in:

http://www.metalworking.com/RCM-gallery/files/Rozen,Jim/Nshop2.jpg

The wrench is hanging on the rear overarm fixing clamp, visible
between the red airhose and the gray flexible light arm.

If somebody doesn't give a better link I could take some
better shots of it.

Jim

please reply to:
Peter T. Keillor III

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 06:31:47 -0400, Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:28:08 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

From what I've read, Hardinge millers came with a spanner
wrench to tighten and loosen its drawbar(s). I'd like to
make a wrench for my miller (right now I'm using a rubber
strap wrench). I'm sure I could cobble something together
but I'd like to try to copy the look of the original Hardinge
wrench. Does anyone out there have a photo of one that they
could put in the dropbox?

Thanks

That's going to be tough. It's like sheet metal (fairly heavy)
origami. I'll try to remember to take a picture of mine and post
later today.

Mine has a crack at the business end. I've seen a few on e-bay, but
they go high. Some guy has a different device he claims works on
e-bay. I don't know if they work.

Pete Keillor

OK, they're in the dropbox.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench01.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench02.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench03.JPG

Pete Keillor
Artemia Salina

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:14:58 -0400, Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

OK, they're in the dropbox.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench01.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench02.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench03.JPG

Pete Keillor

Thanks Pete,

I never would have thought that they were made of sheet metal.

jim rozen

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 13:14:58 -0400, Peter T. Keillor III wrote:

OK, they're in the dropbox.

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench01.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench02.JPG
http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/...geWrench03.JPG

Pete Keillor

Thanks Pete,

I never would have thought that they were made of sheet metal.

Excellent photos, indeed.

I take it you have not contacted Dave Sobel for one of those
wrenches? I would not be suprised if he had a bucket of them
tucked away someplace in his den of amazement.

Jim

please reply to:
Artemia Salina

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:15:29 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

I take it you have not contacted Dave Sobel for one of those
wrenches? I would not be suprised if he had a bucket of them
tucked away someplace in his den of amazement.

After seeing that they're made of sheet metal I'm not too impressed
with them. Besides, why buy when I can make something that'll work
just as well?

Speaking of which, have you considered making a rear tang sight
for your rifle rather than spending $125 for one? I'd think it'd
be an interesting project. Made from brass and blued steel it'd
look pretty spiffy, too.
jim rozen

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:15:29 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

I take it you have not contacted Dave Sobel for one of those
wrenches? I would not be suprised if he had a bucket of them
tucked away someplace in his den of amazement.

After seeing that they're made of sheet metal I'm not too impressed
with them. Besides, why buy when I can make something that'll work
just as well?

Honestly the one I have works great. I'm not sure how long
it would take me to replicate it, but I bet 'a long while'
isn't too far off the mark.

Speaking of which, have you considered making a rear tang sight
for your rifle rather than spending $125 for one? I'd think it'd
be an interesting project. Made from brass and blued steel it'd
look pretty spiffy, too.

Don't think I haven't thought of that. If I had one to measure
and copy it would be a dead cinch, but I suspect that they're
tolerably intricate. The parts that I've seen on ebay seem to
have items in there that look like they're trying to set spring
tension to eliminate backlash on some of the threads. I could
imagine buying one, and then copying it for other guns.

Jim

please reply to:
Peter H.

I never would have thought that they were made of sheet metal.

Heat treated and precision ground sheet metal, too ;-)))

GunnerAsch

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 09:08:44 -0400, Artemia Salina
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 05:15:29 -0700, jim rozen wrote:

I take it you have not contacted Dave Sobel for one of those
wrenches? I would not be suprised if he had a bucket of them
tucked away someplace in his den of amazement.

After seeing that they're made of sheet metal I'm not too impressed
with them. Besides, why buy when I can make something that'll work
just as well?

Speaking of which, have you considered making a rear tang sight
for your rifle rather than spending $125 for one? I'd think it'd
be an interesting project. Made from brass and blued steel it'd
look pretty spiffy, too.

Making them is NOT easy...but it is rewarding.

Gunner

GunnerAsch

On 13 Sep 2004 07:17:15 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Artemia Salina
says...

[...]

If you want a sample Reciver sight to copy for your Winchester, I have
a new FP in the box I could send you to pattern. Its the proper one
for your rifle. Might need a different height front sight though.
About .125 higher IRRC

Gunner