chrisj

Default Newbie question

Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of roughly
0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod
on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered
either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how) one
end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most
of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very little
about metalwork)

thanks,

chris

Ken Sterling

Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of roughly
0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod
on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered
either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how) one
end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most
of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very little
about metalwork)

thanks,

chris

Why not just weld the threaded rod onto the end of the flat bar?
Ken.
90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.
Robert Swinney

Consider a 0.5" x 1/8" tool steel flat of 36" length. That'd be within
0.003" of your specified 0.128" dimennsion. For the threaded 2" you could
mill away the end to leave a 0.5" x 0.125" x 2" and then build up the end's
flat center piece with silver soldered slabs to 0.5". You'd have a 2" long
bar of aprox. 1/2" square that could be turned down on even filed down to a
round for threading.

Bob Swinney
"chrisj" te@bag wrote in message
Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of
roughly
0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod
on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered
either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how)
one
end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most
of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very
little
about metalwork)

thanks,

chris

Leo Lichtman

"chrisj" wrote: Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross
section of roughly 0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of
inches of threaded rod on one end. (clip)(Btw i know very little about
metalwork)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why does it have to be made of one piece? How many of these do you need?
Are you trying to do it yourself with no metal working skills and no tools?
Are you willing to pay a shop to do it for you? Have you exhausted all
alernatives, such as welding, drilling and bolting, drilling and hooking,
etc?

Don Young

I would start with two separate parts and join them by overlapping and
welding, butt welding, welding after either piece is slotted for the other,
overlapping and riveting (with ground or machined flats if desired), or
slotting the rod and riveting the strap in the slot. Just depends on how you
want it to look, the available tools, and which you consider easiest.
Don Young
"chrisj" te@bag wrote in message
Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of
roughly
0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod
on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered
either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how)
one
end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most
of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very
little
about metalwork)

thanks,

chris

chrisj

"
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Why does it have to be made of one piece? How many of these do you need?
Are you trying to do it yourself with no metal working skills and no

tools?
Are you willing to pay a shop to do it for you? Have you exhausted all
alernatives, such as welding, drilling and bolting, drilling and hooking,
etc?

It is going to be under tension (around 50-70 lbs) so i figured a single
piece would be better, but now I am not sure its important, flattening the
rod and overlapping the weld seems like it would be plenty strong enough to
join 2 pieces.

Don Young" wrote in message
I would start with two separate parts and join them by overlapping and
welding,

That sounds like a very good idea, overlapping and welding. I have access to
a mig, arc, and oxy aceteline(spelling?) welders, (luckily my brother is a
tool greedy mechanic), which would be best for such small work? I have a
very small amount of experience with each but can allways get my brother to
teach me what is needed. I would ask him to do it but he is a bit rough and
ready for my liking, no finesse' at all ;-)

thanks for all the replys!

chris

Don Foreman

"

Don Young" wrote in message
I would start with two separate parts and join them by overlapping and
welding,

That sounds like a very good idea, overlapping and welding. I have access to
a mig, arc, and oxy aceteline(spelling?) welders, (luckily my brother is a
tool greedy mechanic), which would be best for such small work? I have a
very small amount of experience with each but can allways get my brother to
teach me what is needed. I would ask him to do it but he is a bit rough and
ready for my liking, no finesse' at all ;-)

I would recommend brazing it with oxyacetylene That would have ample
strength for 50 to 70 lb, and it's quite easy for a beginner to get
right.