Don Foreman

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 16:24:13 +0100, "chrisj" te@bag wrote:

"
"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

Why does it have to be made of one piece? How many of these do you need?
Are you trying to do it yourself with no metal working skills and no

tools?
Are you willing to pay a shop to do it for you? Have you exhausted all
alernatives, such as welding, drilling and bolting, drilling and hooking,
etc?

It is going to be under tension (around 50-70 lbs) so i figured a single
piece would be better, but now I am not sure its important, flattening the
rod and overlapping the weld seems like it would be plenty strong enough to
join 2 pieces.

Don Young" wrote in message
I would start with two separate parts and join them by overlapping and
welding,

That sounds like a very good idea, overlapping and welding. I have access to
a mig, arc, and oxy aceteline(spelling?) welders, (luckily my brother is a
tool greedy mechanic), which would be best for such small work? I have a
very small amount of experience with each but can allways get my brother to
teach me what is needed. I would ask him to do it but he is a bit rough and
ready for my liking, no finesse' at all ;-)

I would recommend brazing it with oxyacetylene That would have ample
strength for 50 to 70 lb, and it's quite easy for a beginner to get
right.