Robert Swinney

Consider a 0.5" x 1/8" tool steel flat of 36" length. That'd be within
0.003" of your specified 0.128" dimennsion. For the threaded 2" you could
mill away the end to leave a 0.5" x 0.125" x 2" and then build up the end's
flat center piece with silver soldered slabs to 0.5". You'd have a 2" long
bar of aprox. 1/2" square that could be turned down on even filed down to a
round for threading.

Bob Swinney
"chrisj" te@bag wrote in message
Hi, I want to make some steel bars 36" long with a cross section of
roughly
0.5" x 0.128", but i would like to have a couple of inches of threaded rod
on one end. Is it posible to make this from one piece steel? I considered
either starting with the flat bar and hammering / machining(no idea how)
one
end into a rod shape or starting with a rod and flattening it off for most
of the bar. Are either of these aproaches feasible? (Btw i know very
little
about metalwork)

thanks,

chris