Laurie Forbes

Default OT - Electric Chainsaws Any Good?

Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Electric chain saws do work, but are slower than the gas powered ones.

For small diameter wood I use a circular saw that I made. Just a 10
inch dia. blade on a belt driven mandrel. 1.5 hp motor. No tilt or
blade height adjustment. It is not all that quiet ( I wear ear muffs
), but quicker than a chain saw for small diameter stuff.

Dan
Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Ace

I have a small one for "light" trimming which works well for green wood up
to about 6 inch dia.

I've found that with dry wood, it doesn't seem to work nearly as well. But
it is quiet and extremely convenient!

Ace

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

woodworker88

I do use a chainsaw occasionally, but not enough to make it worthwhile
to buy one. Much more economical to rent one from United Rentals ($20
for 4 hours) when I need it. They keep it maintained, fueled, etc and
the saws they have are much better than any I could afford to buy. All
my garden tools are electric (lawn mower, weed wacker, rototiller) so
the effort of keeping gas and oil around for a tool I use maybe twice a
year isn't worth it.
My point is that you might be better off renting a better gas saw than
buying a new electric one.

Gary Owens

I've used an electric chain saw for years as a second saw, and as long as
its sharp it will cut thru anything in the blade range. and yes its slower,
but you get what you pay for. And is handy to just plug in and go.
gary

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

I purchased a Stihl E20 eleven years ago...don't know if they are still
made, but mine is every bit as strong a cutter as my Stihl 026. It
pulls 15 amps.

F46

larry g

Laurie
I'd say get ye to the saw shop. Ask the experts and try one out. Avoid the
warehouse stores. I use one for limbing and such and to do a bit of
trimming in the woodshed if some pieces are a bit to big for the stove. I
would not even consider using it for any large amount of work. What is your
definition of a log? Around here it is something on the order of 30-40" in
diameter. An electric saw ain't gonna do it on something like that.
lg
no neat sig line

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Grant Erwin

Laurie Forbes wrote:

Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

I borrow my neighbor's electric on the rare occasion I need a chain saw. It
works OK. It is possible to infer you are female, just by looking at your first
name "Laurie" and so I will add, make sure when you're looking at one, that your
hands are big enough to reach both the trigger and the little ~!@#$%^&*() button
they make you push. My neighbor (a 75YO woman) does not have hands big enough,
so when she has to cut up fallen branches, etc. she calls me. I figure fair
enough, she lets me borrow the saw anytime I want.

Best way to own a chainsaw is to not own one, to have a neighbor who does. Get
the chain sharpened occasionally, be the one to run for bar oil, always bring it
back when you say and they'll happily loan it to you and then you don't have to
store it! (ref. earlier threads on insufficient shop space ...)

GWE
Leo Lichtman

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Best way to own a chainsaw is to not own one,
to have a neighbor who does. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So your advice is, talk your neighbor into buying a chain saw?

Electric chain saws are very convenient, quiet and smoke-free. You can run
one at night without waking the neighbors--you can run one in the garage
without smelling the place up. They vary widely in price and quality. A
good professional Stihl will perform just like a gasoline-powered saw, and
will cost just as much. A little plug-in Remington won't do much work, and
probably won't last long. For your needs, something in between will
probably be the best choice.

Laurie Forbes

Thanks to all for their helpful suggestions.

The "logs" I work with are pretty small stuff (up to about 8") and are aspen
poplar so should be pretty easy to cut, even for an electric saw I hope.
Volume of cutting isn't all that large either.

After reviewing everyone's comments, I think I'll try it........

BTW, I'm of the male persuasion so don't let the name mislead or entice you

Laurie Forbes

"larry g" wrote in message
[...]

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:41:45 GMT, the opaque "Laurie Forbes"
clearly wrote:

Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie, I found a $40 Remington 14" electric chainsaw at Home Despot
a decade ago and bought it. I do so little sawing that I'm still on
the same chain and gallon of oil, but the quiet little beast still
keeps on tickin' for me. I've cut maybe a cord worth of wood in all
that time so it has definitely paid for itself.

If you have much wood to cut, you'll have to weigh the higher cost
and better durability of a new gas model against the cheaper,
shorter-lived electric model.

If I were cutting a couple cords a year, I'd definitely buy a good
gas model. Since I'm not, the little electric works nicely.

Before you buy a new one, talk with the local chainsaw repairman.
He might be able to put (and keep) yours in shape for a lot less
money and hassle.

CAUTION: Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining eyeball!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Design
carl mciver

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message
| Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
| into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
| little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
| gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.
|
| Any suggestions appreciated...............
|
| Laurie Forbes

I have a good friend who's a very good carpenter and he uses one a lot.
Great for trimming framing out in situ. I especially liked its use one day
while sitting out on the end of a 4 by 14 piece of parallam beam trimming
the end off at a cant. Kinda scary leaning over and cutting, but it was the
only thing that would have done the job.
I've seen roofers use one to cut the plywood to fit. He laid the wood
down, did a visual of where the cut should be and zipped through it in
place. Beat the hell out of a worm drive, and he didn't have to bend over
near as much. I can't recall if that one was gas or electric, though.

Sunworshipper

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:41:45 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

My father in law has one that just won't die. He put in a sprinkler
system in his yard with one by cutting two rows through the grass and
dirt for each pipe. It was down right funny to watch. He also wires it
to the end of a swimming pool pole to cut branches off way up in the
trees.
Gary Brady

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Electric chain saws are convenient, so long as you can reach your
cutting area with a cord, but they're for cutting lighter limbs, I'd say
up to about 3" or so. You can cut bigger diameters, but you'll notice a
lack of power and extra wear and tear when cutting larger wood. They're
also lightweight and easy to handle. I had a Homelite and it was a fair
saw, but the parts were very expensive. For this reason, I would buy a
different brand next time.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Jeff Wisnia

Sunworshipper wrote:

My father in law has one that just won't die. He put in a sprinkler
system in his yard with one by cutting two rows through the grass and
dirt for each pipe. It was down right funny to watch. He also wires it
to the end of a swimming pool pole to cut branches off way up in the
trees.

I bet he doesn't live here in New England....That saw would have been
toasted by rocks before it went four inches.

The reason Horace Greely said "Go west young man" was because he was
telling them to get away from the (expletive deleted)s rock laden New
England farmlands.

And FWIW, I've had a 16" McCullough electric chain saw for about ten
years and it's served me well for yard work and making firewood out of
small trees, up to about 8" diameter. A 100 foot cord puts it anywhere
on my lot. Very convenient.

Jeff (In Red Sox Country)

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Laurie Forbes

Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"Grant Erwin" wrote: (clip) Best way to own a chainsaw is to not own one,
to have a neighbor who does. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So your advice is, talk your neighbor into buying a chain saw?

Electric chain saws are very convenient, quiet and smoke-free. You can
run one at night without waking the neighbors--you can run one in the
garage without smelling the place up. They vary widely in price and
quality. A good professional Stihl will perform just like a
gasoline-powered saw, and will cost just as much. A little plug-in
Remington won't do much work, and probably won't last long. For your
needs, something in between will probably be the best choice.

Leo, I've checked Stihl's web site and they do not list an electric under
their "professional" category. They do however list three electrics under a
separate category, the MS 140, 180C and 220Q. Are either of those what you
are referring to??

Laurie Forbes

william_b_noble

for what it's worth, I have the Sthil 220Q with a 20 inch bar - it's a great
saw. I got it after running through a dozen sears and poulon electric saws
(the best lasted about 45 minutes, the worst was broken out of the box), all
failed due to a nylon gear stripping off of a steel shaft. the Sthil is 20X
the price, but it has lasted -
[...]

RoyJ

I have a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar for serious cutting plus a pair of
Remington Electric saws (10" and 14" bars) for lighter stuff. Electric
saws work great for 2"-3", ok at 4" to 6", pretty wimpy at 8". They are
also much safer (if anything is!) for pruning while working off of a
ladder. No need to climb a ladder with a running saw!

Keep in mind that the Remington saws are designed to last for about 6
hours of actual cutting time. The gear reduction is actually a nylon
gear. I have picked up several at garage sales for $1, usually have a
blown up aramature.

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

william_b_noble

agree on the little saws - the Sthil that I have though will cut through 36
inch or more stumps (because that's how I use it, to split them in half to
make bowl blanks, etc), and it will do it in rip or cross cut mode and not
complain - and it won't quit after 6 hours either.... oddly the stihl has a
lower horsepower rated motor than the cheaper saws that don't last as long -
I guess those Sthil horses are better bred or something.

nk.net...

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting
logs into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky
and a little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise
and no gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Chris

"Laurie Forbes" wrote in message

Leo, I've checked Stihl's web site and they do not list an electric under
their "professional" category. They do however list three electrics under
a separate category, the MS 140, 180C and 220Q. Are either of those what
you are referring to??

Laurie Forbes

More or less the term professional means just that. But.....it also
designates that it was made in Germany, rest are made in the US. Although
that is changing as Stihl makes a greater presence in the US, factory (NJ I
think). If you can afford any of the Stihls you are better off. I have
more Stihls than I can shake a stick at, and all with no major problems.

My father is on his third cheapo chain saw, while still have my two Stihls.
If you total up those three cheapos, plus the frustration, travel, time,
etc, to replace them, I am sure that I am ahead.

Plus Stihls are actually supported by a network of dealers, something you do
not see these days. My local dealer is excellent, and I have had equipment
repaired there while I wait. Try that at HD. Most of the dealers are top
notch, and Stihl proudly advertises this. They also advertise proudly that
you will not find them in a big box store.

Long short of it, over the long run, you get what you pay for. At my local
dealer, you often see 30 year old saws coming in for tune-ups.

Chris

Chris

"Sunworshipper" wrote in message
news
My father in law has one that just won't die.

He also wires it to the end of a swimming pool pole to cut branches off way
up in the
trees.

Never fear, those two should line up pretty soon.

Chris

Chris

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125209517.79c83ce3a7ff782041c942bdd8ac76b9@t eranews...
oddly the stihl has a lower horsepower rated motor

That most likely comes from German consumer laws. Put Sears over there with
their "6 maximum developed horsepower" shop-vac and see how long it is
before they are heavily fined"

Chris

Bugs

Mine works fine as long as I stay within power cord range. It also goes
on a pole and makes a bonzer pole saw. Got it from HF.
Bugs

daniel peterman

Electric chainsaws work just fine but they are not built as tou gh as
gas ones. My Remington 16in has stripped out a plastic gear twice, ($14)
and broken another part($10). I wouldn't buy another Remington. Local
Sears has a 16" for 60 bucks on sale right now.Looks to be made of
better materials
I cut some pretty big logs with that other one both fresh and dry and
it never bogged down, Just finally broke.

Laurie Forbes

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125196765.523478a2a54949270d7b2e41771e1bf2@t eranews...
for what it's worth, I have the Sthil 220Q with a 20 inch bar - it's a
great saw. I got it after running through a dozen sears and poulon
electric saws (the best lasted about 45 minutes, the worst was broken out
of the box), all failed due to a nylon gear stripping off of a steel
shaft. the Sthil is 20X the price, but it has lasted -

Talked to a Sthil dealer yesterday who mentioned the electrics have a
narrower blade and are more prone to breakage unless only light cuts are
made. Is that the case with the 220Q?? Was also wondering what type of
sawing you did with it.

Laurie Forbes

william_b_noble

what your dealer said is not true. I use the saw to cut large bowl blanks
out of "urban lumber" - e.g. tree stumps/trunks - so if I find a 36 inch
diamter trunk, I'll cut a 36 inch length of it, and then split it
lengthwise. I've had no trouble cutting full bar length with this saw. In
doing research for it, I found a lumber company that uses them - they bring
a portable generator to the job site and use the electric saws - they say it
greatly reduces fatigue and noise and pollution, and that the saws last
longer, etc.

It is certainly true that the $40 electric chain saws are not good for much
except cutting 3 inch branches - as I noted before, I went through a full
dozen of them, each replaced by OSH under warranty before I said "this is
obviously not working out, let's just call it quits" and bought the Sthil -
I tried both of the electric Sthils (180 and 220) - the 220 had better
features, and a higher price - having gone through a dozen cheapies, I
decided to splurge. I think it was the right decision.

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125196765.523478a2a54949270d7b2e41771e1bf2@t eranews...
for what it's worth, I have the Sthil 220Q with a 20 inch bar - it's a
great saw. I got it after running through a dozen sears and poulon
electric saws (the best lasted about 45 minutes, the worst was broken out
of the box), all failed due to a nylon gear stripping off of a steel
shaft. the Sthil is 20X the price, but it has lasted -

Talked to a Sthil dealer yesterday who mentioned the electrics have a
narrower blade and are more prone to breakage unless only light cuts are
made. Is that the case with the 220Q?? Was also wondering what type of
sawing you did with it.

Laurie Forbes

Laurie Forbes

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125248408.80108baf4eb524f7cf22fa442814c483@t eranews...
what your dealer said is not true. I use the saw to cut large bowl blanks
out of "urban lumber" - e.g. tree stumps/trunks - so if I find a 36 inch
diamter trunk, I'll cut a 36 inch length of it, and then split it
lengthwise. I've had no trouble cutting full bar length with this saw.
In doing research for it, I found a lumber company that uses them - they
bring a portable generator to the job site and use the electric saws -
they say it greatly reduces fatigue and noise and pollution, and that the
saws last longer, etc.

Interesting.

It is certainly true that the $40 electric chain saws are not good for
much except cutting 3 inch branches - as I noted before, I went through a
full dozen of them, each replaced by OSH under warranty before I said
"this is obviously not working out, let's just call it quits" and bought
the Sthil - I tried both of the electric Sthils (180 and 220) - the 220
had better features, and a higher price - having gone through a dozen
cheapies, I decided to splurge. I think it was the right decision.

Excellent - someone also mentioned the advantage of being able to use it in
the basement (haul a log inside during winter and cut it up indoors)

Thanks...........

Laurie Forbes

Rex B

I wouldn't be without one. For limbs under 6" it works just fine, and
you don't have to mess with fuel, and you can start and stop as needed.
It's also a good bit quieter. For $40 how can you go wrong?

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes

Gunner

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:40:06 GMT, "Laurie Forbes"
wrote:

[...]

They are also handy for trimmng the bottom of a Christmas tree in your
living room...though I use my Sawzall G

Gunner

That long? I bought a Remington electric to use around the house
because my Husqvarna is very loud. Within an hour the plastic studs
that connect the housings in the chain area began to split. It still
works due to a lot of patching but I'll never buy another one like it.
I've found that I can file a bow saw to cut about as fast as an
electric chain saw and much faster than a recip saw, even with a
pruning blade. The bow saw pushes small branches down against the
sawbuck instead of grabbing and lifting them like a chain saw.

A 4x6" metalcutting bandsaw with a 6-8 pitch blade at the highest speed
isn't too bad for cutting firewood up to ~6". It doesn't cut terribly
fast but you can work the saw with one hand and feed in a long trunk
with the other hand more easily than with a chainsaw.

jw

Gerald Miller

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 20:19:49 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

.. A little plug-in Remington won't do much work, and
probably won't last long. For your needs, something in between will
probably be the best choice.

I bought a 12" Remington in '85 to take down a poplar in the yard. The
original chain plus two others yard sale chains are pretty much worn
out by most of my neighbours so a couple years ago I invested in a new
one for 12 bucks. I figure I saved over $100 by buying it in the first
place and still have the tool when needed. If I lived in the country,
or heated with wood, it would be totally inadequate, but for the
average city dweller, it is the way to go.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada