RoyJ

I have a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar for serious cutting plus a pair of
Remington Electric saws (10" and 14" bars) for lighter stuff. Electric
saws work great for 2"-3", ok at 4" to 6", pretty wimpy at 8". They are
also much safer (if anything is!) for pruning while working off of a
ladder. No need to climb a ladder with a running saw!

Keep in mind that the Remington saws are designed to last for about 6
hours of actual cutting time. The gear reduction is actually a nylon
gear. I have picked up several at garage sales for $1, usually have a
blown up aramature.

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting logs
into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky and a
little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise and no
gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes