william_b_noble

agree on the little saws - the Sthil that I have though will cut through 36
inch or more stumps (because that's how I use it, to split them in half to
make bowl blanks, etc), and it will do it in rip or cross cut mode and not
complain - and it won't quit after 6 hours either.... oddly the stihl has a
lower horsepower rated motor than the cheaper saws that don't last as long -
I guess those Sthil horses are better bred or something.

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have a Stihl 290 with a 20" bar for serious cutting plus a pair of
Remington Electric saws (10" and 14" bars) for lighter stuff. Electric saws
work great for 2"-3", ok at 4" to 6", pretty wimpy at 8". They are also
much safer (if anything is!) for pruning while working off of a ladder. No
need to climb a ladder with a running saw!

Keep in mind that the Remington saws are designed to last for about 6
hours of actual cutting time. The gear reduction is actually a nylon gear.
I have picked up several at garage sales for $1, usually have a blown up
aramature.

Laurie Forbes wrote:
Was wondering if an electric chainsaw would be worthwhile for cutting
logs into fireplace length (power is nearby). My old gas saw is cranky
and a little worn out so need a replacement but the allure of less noise
and no gas/fumes/hard to start etc. seems compelling.

Any suggestions appreciated...............

Laurie Forbes