B.B.

Default Good trouble lights?

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Dave

"B.B." wrote:

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap.

snip
there ya go, "Absolute crap". Made somewhere else, and sold in
America.

I was at home DePost last year and they were tossing a pallete of
"trouble lights" that had the rims/reflectors bent due to....trouble.

for 12 dollars I got the whole load....I have 3 left that work, and
a lot of aluminum spun refectors.

The plastic breaks. Duh. *But, hey China! Can't ya'll even make
Plastic anymore*?

Just wondering

~D
Grady

Look for ones made for commercial use. See if you can possibly finds ones
made by McGill or Woodhead or Ericson. You will pay quite a bit more, but
you will get commercial quality. Any electrical distributor should be able
to order one for you. I believe Crouse Hinds and Appleton even make ones for
harzardous environments where it is impossible for the unit to emit any kind
of spark that could ignite gases. Try here
http://www.ericson.com/products/prod...p?catid=2&id=2

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Karl Townsend

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.

Man, I hear ya. I've got an antique one that wore out, so I bought another.
Threw it away(total crap) and put the old one back up. I really need a
decent one, also. If you do find one, please let me know.

Karl

Jon Grimm

I don't know what brand, but I bought 2 units for our job shop, fluorescent,
rubberized, yellow, cool to the touch.

6 years in service, with no care, lots of abuse.

they just keep going, with original bulbs

$100 each, but how many cheepies are you willing to buy in that time span?
not to mention broken light bulbs, accidental burns, etc...

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

JR North

The orange plastic ones are actually better than metal. More resilient.
Once the metal shield or cage gets distorted, metal ones are annoying to
use. I have a 'cheap' HF orange plastic one. It has a magnetic base,
which on rare occasion I have found useful. It has a retained thumb
screw for the cage, which makes lamp changes easy. It doesn't mind 100W
lamps. It articulates in the center; also useful on occasion. Good
switch. Has a 3 prong aux socket in the handle. I have been careless
with it for 4 years, still in good shape. Like any other trouble light,
drop it, and go get another lamp. For a 'cheap' chinese trouble light, I
can't bitch.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

B.B. wrote:

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"
B.B.

[...]

On a related note, I found this: http://www.flashlightmuseum.com
I think I'll build me one of those 7-cell beasts one of these days.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
Just Me

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

I have a yellow plastic one with flourescent bulb in it and an automatic
reel that I bought at Home Depot many years ago that has been a good one. It
always lights, I've never had to replace the bulb.

Lane

JohnF

If you do temporarily settle for one of the plastic ones line the
reflective(?) area behind the bulb with aluminum foil otherwise you
can't see nothin' because of the glare through the back of the thing.

JohnF

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 02:08:49 -0500, "B.B."
u wrote:

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

Don Foreman

u wrote:

A.K.A. Drop Lights. I need one, but all of the ones I've encountered
in the stores are absolute crap. On-line catalogs look like they're the
same.
I'm just looking for one that's not hard (cheap/brittle/uncomfy)
plastic on the outside. The "rubberized" orange and yellow ones with
wire cages used to be pretty common in the stores years ago, but not any
more. Now it's plastic, plastic, plastic. Sometimes halogen bulbs,
sometimes florescent bulbs, but always plastic handles. Usually with
cheap, ****ty cords to complete the package.
McMaster has one with a rubber handle, but it's $lightly expen$ive.
Any other places to look? Except ebay--I hate ebay.

Trouble lights are aptly named: they are nothing but trouble.
They're never in the right place, usually in the way, often hot, and
the damned bulbs are fragile.

I made a head-mounted light using a 1-watt Luxeon LED and a lens
diffuser. It's a lousy flashlight for hiking and cave exploration --
but that isn't what I was after. I wanted it to illuminate
everything within reach of my hands. It does that very well. The
light is very even -- no darkspots or other artifacts. There are no
apparent shadows because the light comes from the middle of my
forehead. The "bulb" runs cool, and it will never break or burn out.

It works well under hoods, underneath cars, under sinks, in machinery
and when doing wiring and plumbing with both hands.

I used the body from a Harbor Freight head light ($2.95 on sale).
Mounted elex, Luxeon, lens and lensholder where the lightbulb and
reflector had been.

Didn't make any drawings......

Doug White

snip
[...]

I agree, a good headlamp is a wonderful gadget, and makes a trouble light
optional for many occasions. The LED approach gives MUCH better battery
life. If you don't want to spend your time building one fromn scratch,
the best one I've found is the "Streamlight Septor LED Headlamp". Do a
search on Froogle, you can get them for ~$28.

I still use a trouble light for some things, like working in the attic.
The one I have that I like the best is a fluorescent model from Home
Depot. The big advantage is that it is cool enough to move around
without fear of burns or fires. It has two tubes, so you can select how
much light you want. I always run it with both, so I don't consider that
a particularly useful option. I'm sure it you drop it from a good
height, it's gonna bust, but I try to be a bit more careful that that,
and withthe headlight, I can usually set it up out of harms way.

Doug White
Ron DeBlock

I agree with the others regarding the LED headlamp. My daughter (11 y.o.)
gave me one for Christmas last year - it's got two white LEDs, or you can
switch to a red one so you don't mess up your night vision. I've had a
fluorescent drop light for many years, and it served me well. Since
getting the headlamp, I rarely use the drop light. It's very handy,
small, cool and the light always shines where I'm looking. Great for
working on the car, the electrical panel, plumbing under the sink, or
whatever.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Martin H. Eastburn

Just Me wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
[...]

I have one like that in the shop - often without a light bulb when it was in
the garage-shop - to close to the house - a working bulb is a bird in the hand.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Martin H. Eastburn

Just Me wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
[...]

One thought on the long lasting bulb - the wire is low gage and likely limits current
on the startup surge. That blows the lights.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

B.B.

In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

[...]

Trouble lights are aptly named: they are nothing but trouble.
They're never in the right place, usually in the way, often hot, and
the damned bulbs are fragile.

I made a head-mounted light using a 1-watt Luxeon LED and a lens
diffuser. It's a lousy flashlight for hiking and cave exploration --
but that isn't what I was after. I wanted it to illuminate
everything within reach of my hands. It does that very well. The
light is very even -- no darkspots or other artifacts. There are no
apparent shadows because the light comes from the middle of my
forehead. The "bulb" runs cool, and it will never break or burn out.

As to the bulb hotness thing, I've found that the florescent light
bulbs with the screw-in base of the incandescent bulbs work well in drop
lights and handle shock much better. Extra-messy if it does break,
though.
I might break down and spend the money on a WoodHead light, but I'm
still hunting for the middle-ground non-crap, inexpensive solution.
It's probably mostly a personal preference thing, but I hate
headlamps. I spend enough time wedging my head into tiny gaps that I'd
either block the thing 90% of the time or outright crush it. For me, a
drop light is the best solution most of the time.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/

Don Foreman

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:12:01 GMT, (Doug White)
wrote:

I agree, a good headlamp is a wonderful gadget, and makes a trouble light
optional for many occasions. The LED approach gives MUCH better battery
life. If you don't want to spend your time building one fromn scratch,
the best one I've found is the "Streamlight Septor LED Headlamp". Do a
search on Froogle, you can get them for ~$28.

With 7 LED's it's probably a usable light, though far short of a
single 1-watt Luxeon in terms of luminous output.

I sent Fitch some 8-LED lights (found at a bargain) and the first
version of my lensed Luxeon in existance. (I've since built another
for myself) He liked the 8-LED lights for general flashlight use.
I use one of those for my "going to bed" flashlight because it's dim
enough not to wake her nibs. A 1-watt Luxeon flashlight is too
bright for that duty.

Fitch had tried other LED head lights including one using a Luxeon,
didn't like them as task lights for a variety of reasons.

He was quite enthusiastic about the lensed Luxeon headlight for use in
building his new house. He said something like, "touch my light at
risk of losing a hand....."

Update: move-in is imminent, first week of Sept. Then he'll be busy
building the shop. Then he'll be busy doing something else....

I still use a trouble light for some things, like working in the attic.
The one I have that I like the best is a fluorescent model from Home
Depot. The big advantage is that it is cool enough to move around
without fear of burns or fires. It has two tubes, so you can select how
much light you want. I always run it with both, so I don't consider that
a particularly useful option. I'm sure it you drop it from a good
height, it's gonna bust, but I try to be a bit more careful that that,
and withthe headlight, I can usually set it up out of harms way.

Check out:

I've not seen this light in action, merely note it.
Ian Malcolm

B.B. wrote:

As to the bulb hotness thing, I've found that the florescent light
bulbs with the screw-in base of the incandescent bulbs work well in drop
lights and handle shock much better. Extra-messy if it does break,
though.

I've found that as well. Old wire cage inspection lamp with the black
rubber handle. Never could keep a normal bulb working in it for more
than a week (you'd put one in and it would be gone next time) but the
fluorescent has been in there several years now. Only thing I did
different was put a leather washer over the base of the bulb so it was a
snug fit into the hole in the handle the socket sits in as we have
bayonet bulb bases over here which let the bulb wobble more. Could have
used an O ring but the leather washer was handy. Also I cut a
shade/reflector out of a coke can and folded it round three of the wires
of the cage. Without it, I couldnt see a thing if crawling into a small
space pushing the light ahead of me.

ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
[dot]=.
*Warning* SPAM TRAP set in header, Use email address in sig. if you must.
Gunner

On Tue, 09 Aug 2005 09:09:05 +0100, Ian Malcolm
wrote:

I've found that as well. Old wire cage inspection lamp with the black
rubber handle. Never could keep a normal bulb working in it for more
than a week

Never put a regular bulb in such a lamp. Buy the more expensive Rough
Duty bulbs and they last much much longer.

http://www.electerm.com/ldrop.html
http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...lb-685743.aspx
http://www.stanley-garage-opener.com/gardooroplig.html

Gunner

If you are going to use that phrase then you should use
the full phrase of "**** Off and Die and Rot In A Ditch
and Get Eaten By Maggots and ****ed On and **** On By
a Dysenteric Elephant (but not necessarily in that order)."

Crash Street Kidd
Bob Engelhardt

Gunner wrote:

... Buy the more expensive Rough
Duty bulbs and they last much much longer.

Yes, I've never had one lose a filament. Generally the first time I use
one it's under a sink, a drop of water falls on the bulb and it breaks
from the thermal shock |8-( Now I use the compact fluorescent. Bob
JohnF

They have relatively inexpensive LED lights with headbands at WalMart
in the sporting goods section. Run about 50+ hours on 3 AAA batteries.
I use then at one shop I do work for that, apparently, doesn't believe
in lighting around the machines.

JohnF

. ru wrote:

[...]

DoN. Nichols

wrote:

I've found that as well. Old wire cage inspection lamp with the black
rubber handle. Never could keep a normal bulb working in it for more
than a week

Never put a regular bulb in such a lamp. Buy the more expensive Rough
Duty bulbs and they last much much longer.

Not always, however. I was working in a dark corner of the
factory I was in -- under the last in a row of trailers for 18-wheel
rigs. Where I was there was a connector panel facing down with
something like 64 MS series connectors plugged into it. I had to
interchange two wires on one specific connector -- solder terminal
version, so no pin removal and insertion tools -- just a soldering iron.

So -- I was under there, with a trouble light and the soldering
iron plugged into the extension running off to somewhere. The soldering
iron was warming up, and I was trying to unscrew the ring on the right
connector to get it down where I could work on it. The trouble light
seemed rather bright, but it was a very dark area, so I just figured it
was a matter of relativity -- until the bulb burned out, and I could
almost read by the soldering iron. :-) It turns out that the extension
was connected to 240VAC, not the 120VAC which the connectors on it would
suggest.

*No* incandescent trouble light bulb lasts long on double
voltage. :-)

In case anyone cares -- the company was making "portable" flight
simulators for sub-hunting helicopters for the Navy. Three portable
ones (six trailer rigs), and one for installation within a building.
Really early in the use of minicomputers for this sort of thing, and
gazillions of wires in cables connecting the computer and analog stuff
to the second trailer which had the cockpit, the instructor's console,
and the sonor room from the tail of the 'copter. These days, almost all
of that from the first trailer could be squeezed into a PC with a few
special interface cards and lots of software. This thing took three
phase power fed by 4/0 cables. :-)

As for the best trouble light that I ever got -- it is one with
a short straight length of power cord, which goes into a lump about
3x3x4", and then turns into a coiled cord until it gets to the trouble
light, which is a plastic cylinder, with a fluorescent lamp and a
starter inside it, with a slip-on yellow rubber boot at the power cord
end, and another one with a hook at the far end. I still have the same
lamp in it, and have been using it on and off since about 1976 when I
got it. The only switch is the power plug.

To that, I've added another fluorescent trouble lamp, with the
cord in a spring-loaded reel which mounts on the wall, and a switch
under a rubber dome on the end with the hooks (which in this case are
made of wire wrapped around a turn and a half and formed into hooks.

I don't have as many years of use on that one, but it has been
very nice to use when I have needed it. It came from an MSC flyer a few
years ago.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Gunner

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:25:28 GMT, JohnF
wrote:

They have relatively inexpensive LED lights with headbands at WalMart
in the sporting goods section. Run about 50+ hours on 3 AAA batteries.
I use then at one shop I do work for that, apparently, doesn't believe
in lighting around the machines.

JohnF

I use an LED head light just bout daily

http://www.eveready.com/products/fla...asp?cat=4&id=3

a review
http://www.tincher.to/headlamp.htm

I LOVE mine

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 08:28:30 GMT, the opaque Gunner
clearly wrote:

I use an LED head light just bout daily

http://www.eveready.com/products/fla...asp?cat=4&id=3

That looks like the $12.99 special (odd name) at Bi-Mart.
I like the red LED idea to retain your night vision.

a review
http://www.tincher.to/headlamp.htm

I LOVE mine

What'd you pay/where? The one listed at Wally World's website
is $16.68 and has krypton and 2 LEDs, no red.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2618826

Never underestimate the innate animosity of inanimate objects.
----
http://diversify.com Dynamic Website Applications
Don Foreman

wrote:

They have relatively inexpensive LED lights with headbands at WalMart
in the sporting goods section. Run about 50+ hours on 3 AAA batteries.
I use then at one shop I do work for that, apparently, doesn't believe
in lighting around the machines.

JohnF

Those are better than no light, but two LED's don't produce much light
and 3 AAA's are kinda heavy and bulky for a head-mounted light.
Best feature is low price.

I think the "ideal" head light would use a single Luxeon and a single
lithium 123 cell -- which costs about the same as three alky AAA's if
you buy them a dozen at a time from Surefire. It would be
adjustable in power from 2-LED dim (for max battery life) to full
brightness which is about 10X that for when you really need some
serious light.

Battery life at WOT would vary from about 6 hours at WOT to about 60
hours in "glimmer" mode which would still be brighter than the 2-LED
jobs when their batteries are fresh. Brightness would be constant
(as set) throughout battery life. Battery weight would be half that
of 3 AAA's, bulk would be somewhat less than 3 AAAs.

The same basic 3-volt light could also run from 2 AAA's (different
package design) if universal battery availability were a concern.
Battery life would be about the same, perhaps slightly less.

AFAIK, nobody makes a light like this -- yet. Consumers seem to buy
price, often without regard to performance.

If I worked under hoods or in other dark places every day, I'd
surely have built one like this by now. There are Luxeon-based
head lights, but they're not dimmable, they have too concentrated a
"spot" for close task use, and I know of none that use a single 123
cell. I'm still working on the elex for such a light. COSMOS has
very good 3-volt elex in their single-123 luxeon flashlights, but I
don't know how they work.

I used Terralux TLE-5 elex in the 3-volt head lights I made for
myself and Fitch, but I changed the Luxeons from side-shooter to
Lambertian for close task flood illumination. They work well, but
they're not dimmable. They would run off a single 123, presently
run off a pair of AA's because that's what fit in the HF package I
used.
Gunner

clearly wrote:

I use an LED head light just bout daily

http://www.eveready.com/products/fla...asp?cat=4&id=3

That looks like the $12.99 special (odd name) at Bi-Mart.
I like the red LED idea to retain your night vision.

a review
http://www.tincher.to/headlamp.htm

I LOVE mine

What'd you pay/where? The one listed at Wally World's website
is $16.68 and has krypton and 2 LEDs, no red.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2618826

IRRC I got it at Big 5.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Gunner

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:54:28 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Those are better than no light, but two LED's don't produce much light
and 3 AAA's are kinda heavy and bulky for a head-mounted light.
Best feature is low price.

The unit I linked provides MONDO light, both in its white and red
modes.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Don Foreman

wrote:

Those are better than no light, but two LED's don't produce much light
and 3 AAA's are kinda heavy and bulky for a head-mounted light.
Best feature is low price.

The unit I linked provides MONDO light, both in its white and red
modes.

MONDO apparently converts to 5.6 candela.

http://tinyurl.com/dejbp

A 1-watt Luxeon light with a beamwidth of 30 degrees included angle
produces about 210 candela at rated power -- about 37.5 MONDO. It
would produce 1 MONDO running at about 2.5% of rated output.

Larry Jaques

wrote:

What'd you pay/where? The one listed at Wally World's website
is $16.68 and has krypton and 2 LEDs, no red.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2618826

IRRC I got it at Big 5.

I just stopped there today to pick up a $15 tactical light.
BRIGHT (62 lumen) Krypton bulb, aluminum case, tactical switch,
variable focus, 110 minutes on a pair of CR123A lithiums.

Ouch! $10 for a pair of those batteries at Wally World. I found the
little HF headlamps on sale about 5 years ago and just picked up a
couple more of them when they went on 2/$5 sale last spring. They
work fine for most stuff (in the attic, under the truck, under the
sink, finding the faucet to turn off the sprinkler hose in the dark.)
The AA batts in those last a good long while and are a lot cheaper,
but now I have a good tactical which I can keep with the P-11.

Hmmm, www.lara.com has CR123As for $1.58 each. That's better. $18.95
per dozen + $4.95 s/h for a grand total of about $2 each.
Check out their 9v battery-topper LED flashlights. Pricy but cool.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]

Those same batteries are available from Surefire for $15/doz + $4.99
S&H.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Gunner

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:32:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

CR123A

http://search.ebay.com/CR123A_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Gunner

wrote:

Those are better than no light, but two LED's don't produce much light
and 3 AAA's are kinda heavy and bulky for a head-mounted light.
Best feature is low price.

The unit I linked provides MONDO light, both in its white and red
modes.

MONDO apparently converts to 5.6 candela.

http://tinyurl.com/dejbp

A 1-watt Luxeon light with a beamwidth of 30 degrees included angle
produces about 210 candela at rated power -- about 37.5 MONDO. It
would produce 1 MONDO running at about 2.5% of rated output.

Mondo means I could back up a flat bed truck and trailer with a
backhoe on it 1/2 mile out of a dead end canyon on a moonless night
after the lighting system failed.

Shrug. Thats good enough for me.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Larry Jaques

wrote:

Hmmm, www.lara.com has CR123As for $1.58 each. That's better. $18.95
per dozen + $4.95 s/h for a grand total of about $2 each.
Check out their 9v battery-topper LED flashlights. Pricy but cool.

Those same batteries are available from Surefire for $15/doz + $4.99
S&H.

Excellent. Thanks, Don. I picked up several white LEDs and haven't
yet experimented with them. I suppose Lithiums would be a good power
source for those, too.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Larry Jaques

wrote:

CR123A

http://search.ebay.com/CR123A_W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Shipping from Hong Kong isn't cheap. $0.01 + $11.99 s/h
for batteries or $0.02 + £8.00 for the light.

The batteries are a good deal if they're quality products,
but this review shows them at the bottom of the list!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubb...?Number=772562
The 7 brands clustered there must be from one manufacturer or
technique, and the Sanyos kick ass!

I think I'll go with the SureFires, 4x the lifetime and only
$19.99/doz delivered from a U.S. source.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Don Foreman

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 06:42:09 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

The unit I linked provides MONDO light, both in its white and red
modes.

MONDO apparently converts to 5.6 candela.

http://tinyurl.com/dejbp

A 1-watt Luxeon light with a beamwidth of 30 degrees included angle
produces about 210 candela at rated power -- about 37.5 MONDO. It
would produce 1 MONDO running at about 2.5% of rated output.

Mondo means I could back up a flat bed truck and trailer with a
backhoe on it 1/2 mile out of a dead end canyon on a moonless night
after the lighting system failed.

Shrug. Thats good enough for me.

Golly! Using mirrors?
Gunner

wrote:

The unit I linked provides MONDO light, both in its white and red
modes.

MONDO apparently converts to 5.6 candela.

http://tinyurl.com/dejbp

A 1-watt Luxeon light with a beamwidth of 30 degrees included angle
produces about 210 candela at rated power -- about 37.5 MONDO. It
would produce 1 MONDO running at about 2.5% of rated output.

Mondo means I could back up a flat bed truck and trailer with a
backhoe on it 1/2 mile out of a dead end canyon on a moonless night
after the lighting system failed.

Shrug. Thats good enough for me.

Golly! Using mirrors?

Ayup. I put that head band on the backhoe as the backup light.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Don Foreman

wrote:

Excellent. Thanks, Don. I picked up several white LEDs and haven't
yet experimented with them. I suppose Lithiums would be a good power
source for those, too.

Yes.

You'll need a dropping resistor (or elex) to limit LED current. A
nice thing about lithiums is that their voltage doesn't droop over
life nearly as much as alkies do. Alkies go from 1.5 to 0.8 volts
per cell. CR123's go from 3 volts to 2.5 volts at about 90%
depeleted, to 2 volts in the last 10% of life.

White LED's typically run somewhere around 3.4 volts, so you'll need
two 123's. They'll then droop from 6 volts new to about 5 volts
nearly gone. Resistor voltage (hence current) goes from 2.6 to 1.47,
a change of about 38%. WIth 3 alkies, voltage goes from 4.5 volts
to 2.4 volts -- but the light goes dark at 3.4 volts (1.13 volts per
cell) so you discard batteries that are only a bit over 1/2 depleted
when the light has diminished from full brightness to no brightness
during that time.

That's how some flashlight mfrs get their lifetime claims with
alkies. They may produce light for xx hours, but it will be
significantly less than half output for most of those xx hours.
With 3 AAA's (and resistor current limiting) you're down to half
output (and half drain) at 1.31 volts per cell which is only about
25% depleted, down to 25% when the batteries are about 39% depleted,
and so on.

White LED's (other than Luxeons and a couple of others) are typically
rated to run at somewhere between 20 mA and 50 mA. Overdriving them
just shortens their life, which may be acceptable. They'll still last
much longer than incandescant bulbs. If you want to run several
LED's, each should ideally have its own dropping resistor for
operation from a 6-volt source or less. Some flashlights just rely
on the internal resistance of alkie cells -- so lithiums may
overdrive the hell out of them.

For 2 CR123's and 50mA per LED, a 51ohm resistor is about right.
For 100 mA per LED, about 27 ohms is about right.

There's a ****-simple elex circuit (about 3 bux worth of parts) that
can supply dead flat current (constant brightness) over battery
lifetime -- and it could drive several LED's in parallel if they were
fairly well-matched in forward voltage drop. Email me for details
if interested. It's also on the web somewhere.

Check out one of those 3W luxeon lights to go with your P-11. A
3-watt Luxeon puts out about 60 lumens, comparable to your tactical
krypton light -- and the bulb won't ever burn out. Some Krypton
bulbs last about 10 hours -- the bulb, not the batteries!

Have fun!

Ron DeBlock

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:06:21 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
Check out one of those 3W luxeon lights to go with your P-11. A
3-watt Luxeon puts out about 60 lumens, comparable to your tactical
krypton light -- and the bulb won't ever burn out.

Sharper Image have a LED light with a claimed 82 lumen output. I saw it
today while browsing around the mall (back-to-school shopping time).
Looks like a single LED. It is SERIOUSLY bright - don't shine it in your
eyes! I was blind in one eye for a few minutes....