ff

Default Plasma Cutters???

Jeniffer Ness wrote:

Hi Guys,

Looking for a Plasma Cutter. So many choices with little understanding.
This is for my boy friend as a HBD gift. Yes I know.... $$$$$.. He's worth
it..

Ok... Machine tourch. Cutting at most thickness is 1/2 steel. But he does
mostly lighter materials. I can't tell what he has now, but I know we are
building a new workshop that will have 220v service for his cutters..

Whats the best?
What is the one that uses the least comsumables (if used right) and does
the most percision cuts?
Does he really need 220v? If so why?

I read those specs and they all claim to be the best...They are all greek
to me.
Who's right?

Give it me straight.. I am ready to break out the CC but I want what is
right.

Thanks
Jen

Crossposting to rec.crafts.metalworking.

Fred

JohnM

Grant Erwin wrote:
Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

GWE

I'll agree with Grant on that, I've been very happy with Hypertherm
products and service people. The other name that seems to have respect
here is Thermal Dynamics.

John

ff wrote:

Jeniffer Ness wrote:

[...]

footy

I like Hypertherm products, too. But for a machine torch on 1/2" steel
you are going to want the 1200.
Steve Peterson

Your friend would be happy with a Thermal Dynamics 81 or 101. I have been
using their Cutmaster 81 plasma cutter on a CNC machine for three years and
I am well satisfied with performance, consumable cost and life and good cut
quality. Zero problems with the plasma cutter. I hate to say it but eBay
seems to have the best price on them and I have had good luck with Indiana
Oxygen for consumables. That is not to say your local dealer would not come
close in price and would be able to offer service in time of need.
http://www.thermadyne.com/thermaldynamics/index.asp

Steve Peterson
www.kettleriverironworks.com

"ff" wrote in message
Jeniffer Ness wrote:

[...]

Jeniffer Ness

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

This is the one I have been looking at. I have never seen one and I
wondering if it have a 220v plug or does it get hard wired?

I saw the specs on this unit and saw the doc. on slow blow fuses and
thought that would mean hardwiring. Is this correct?
Also, I was wondering about the consumables. How often are they to be
changed on average? I know this has to do alot with speed, thickness ect
ect.. Any thoughts on the consumables for the Hypertherm Powermax 600
let me know.

See Ya
Jn

Grant Erwin

Jeniffer Ness wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

This is the one I have been looking at. I have never seen one and I
wondering if it have a 220v plug or does it get hard wired?

You can use it on 110V if you like. I have a welder receptacle so I just put an
Eagle 50A welder plug on mine.

I saw the specs on this unit and saw the doc. on slow blow fuses and
thought that would mean hardwiring. Is this correct?

Oh, I wouldn't pay any attention to that unless your fuse starts blowing. I use
mine at max amps all the time on a regular circuit breaker and no problem. Well,
it's a 30A breaker, so it shouldn't ...

Also, I was wondering about the consumables. How often are they to be
changed on average? I know this has to do alot with speed, thickness ect
ect.. Any thoughts on the consumables for the Hypertherm Powermax 600
let me know.

Consumable life can be considerably extended by using perfectly clean dry air.
Of course, getting clean dry air isn't cheap either! I have a little Dayton
refrigerated air dryer with a filter which lives on the bottom of my plasma
cutter cart. Putting that inline took a lot of the "crackle" out of my cutting
and makes it seem to cut better. They call out for about $500 worth of air
filtering, and most guys don't use any. I can't tell you how long mine last on
average because I've never changed any yet. Of course, I'm real gentle with
machinery compared to some of the meatballs I see around ...

GWE
Martin H. Eastburn

Jeniffer Ness wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

This is the one I have been looking at. I have never seen one and I
wondering if it have a 220v plug or does it get hard wired?

I saw the specs on this unit and saw the doc. on slow blow fuses and
thought that would mean hardwiring. Is this correct?
Also, I was wondering about the consumables. How often are they to be
changed on average? I know this has to do alot with speed, thickness ect
ect.. Any thoughts on the consumables for the Hypertherm Powermax 600
let me know.

See Ya
Jn

Comes with a 50 amp plug. Doesn't draw that but it is an 8 ga wire.
The unit has circuit breakers on the rear panel.
Different cable sets and connections allow 3 phase.

The new torch cable RT60 I got is really hot! - It really burns through
metal - easier - hotter beam - more capable torch.

I have the standard one attached to my CNC and the 50' RT60 in leather covers
for work outside in front of the shop or on a bench...

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Martin H. Eastburn

Grant Erwin wrote:

Jeniffer Ness wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

[...]

I run through consumables a little faster - very little hand use -
mostly CNC driving designs. Hundreds of inches is easily obtained.
It really depends on what and how much current you are using.

Also if one pushes it a bit - and starves it of cooling air - consumables burn up.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Wayne Cook

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 21:17:45 -0500, Jeniffer Ness
wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

This is the one I have been looking at. I have never seen one and I
wondering if it have a 220v plug or does it get hard wired?

It can be done either way.

I saw the specs on this unit and saw the doc. on slow blow fuses and
thought that would mean hardwiring. Is this correct?

As Grant said don't worry about it unless you go to blowing the
breaker real often. Not likely if the breaker is sized properly.

Also, I was wondering about the consumables. How often are they to be
changed on average? I know this has to do alot with speed, thickness ect
ect.. Any thoughts on the consumables for the Hypertherm Powermax 600
let me know.

Well I just got a Powermax1250 this week. I've run a few different
plasma cutters over the years and I have to say I'm ultra impressed
with consumable life of this machine. The job that forced me to buy a
new plasma is the type that'll eat consumables worse than any other
and so far I've barely scratched the first set I put in the machine.
This was with lots of high frequency and pilot arc operation due to my
trying to get into corners and cut out dirty old welds. Lots of blow
back onto the tip while piercing in tight confined spaces and much
more. In other words I badly abused it and I can still get a near
perfect cut in a piece of 10ga SS I'm using to reinforce as I'm going
back. I can't think of a better machine to buy.

My only concern is that you may be looking at too small a machine if
he's really needing to cut thicker stuff. My 1250 is rated for 7/8"
recommended and 1 1/8" max. Well so far I've tried it on 1" and it did
cut it but slowly. It handles 1/2" very easily though. It's a bit more
money but the Powermax 1000 might be a better match for his needs. I
was going to get the 1000 myself but the store was out of them and I
had to have one right now to get this big job out of the shop.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

JohnM

Jeniffer Ness wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote in
:

Recommend Hypertherm Powermax 600. Great little machine. Cuts up to
1/2", consumables are readily available.

This is the one I have been looking at. I have never seen one and I
wondering if it have a 220v plug or does it get hard wired?

I saw the specs on this unit and saw the doc. on slow blow fuses and
thought that would mean hardwiring. Is this correct?
Also, I was wondering about the consumables. How often are they to be
changed on average? I know this has to do alot with speed, thickness ect
ect.. Any thoughts on the consumables for the Hypertherm Powermax 600
let me know.

See Ya
Jn

A friend of mine has the 600, it's an excellent machine. Decent fire,
agreeable torch, mighty light compared to my old Max40 (I think it
weighs about a third what my machine does), well worth the money.

John

Plasma cutters wallster Metalworking 14 June 10th 05 04:28 PM
Cheap plasma cutters [email protected] Metalworking 0 April 7th 05 02:21 PM
Ratings on plasma cutters? [email protected] Metalworking 9 February 25th 05 03:45 AM
Question about plasma cutters Ronnie Lyons, Meridian, Idaho Metalworking 11 July 11th 04 09:03 PM
anyone own or use one of these plasma cutters wallsterr Metalworking 3 March 3rd 04 05:32 AM