Default Ratings on plasma cutters?

Does anybody have a feel for how "optimistic" or overstated some of the
ratings for some of the import plasma cutters in terms if "feedrates"
and thicknesses (quality/rated, max, severance, ...)?

Is it worthwhile to avoid the imports, or are they of sufficient
quality and durability?

I'm considering a Riland Cut60 (60 amp). At $1050 + $35 shipping, it
is almost half the cost of the cutters that I really want (Hypertherm
Powermax 1000, Miller 2050, Miller 1000, Thermal Dynamics 81), but lack
the cash to buy.

The Riland guy gave me some specs of 3" per minute for 1.25"
thickness mild steel and 7" per minute for 1" thick mild steel. That
seems lower than some of the other, namebrand 60 amp cutters. I'm also
curious as to how good its duty cycle is.

Another plasma cutter I'm considering is the $500 unit from Harbor
Freight.
Anybody know what the specs and cutting speeds are on this unit? There
isn't much in their catalog.

Thanks!
-Ralph

Clandestine

Typically plasma cutters will cut the thickness they are advertised
for, EXCEPT they'll do it very slowly, there will be excessive dross
on the bottom of the cut and the kerf may not be straight or even. But
it will hack through the material. Those thickness "ratings" are
for plain carbon steel under good conditions. I've always planned to
DOUBLE the capacity of a machine compared to my everyday work.

I would avoid mail order / imports because of consumables. Generally
the consumables are not interchangeable, some have a short life and are
expensive. Think of a cell phone. They give you the phone because you
buy the minutes. Here they "give" you the plasma cutter because
you buy the consumables.

ALL the plasma cutters are overrated in size, read the spec's very
carefully. I have a Hypertherm 380 good for 3/8? Yeah maybe on a good
day you could get a cut, but not a pretty sight. 1/4 inch is more like
it, and it usually takes a drilling a pilot hole before pierceing a
hole in the center. From the edge no problem starting a 1/4 inch cut.
I would say the most important is #1 Service, where and by who and #2
Cost for the tips and nozzles, can you get locally if needed in a
hurry.
Had mine for nearly two years and it is running on a PlasmaCAM CNC
machine.
B.G.

wrote:
[...]

Footy

One thing to consider when comparing plasma cutters is that one
manufacturer's 60 amp unit may not cut as well as another manufacturer's
even if they do both put out 60 amps. That is because power is measured in
watts. Watts = volts * amps. So if one manufacturer's unit can deliver 60
amps at 140V and anothers can only devlier 60 amps at 100V, guess which one
will cut better.

I would avoid anything except the major U.S. brands if you are in the U.S.
for the simple reason that consumables for the imports might be difficult if
not impossible to find, if not now, as soon as the model obsolesces. Parts
for U.S. machines, current and obsolete, are generally widely available.

Does anybody have "real" numbers/ratings for speeds on various
thicknesses?
Seems like we could make a nice database (that should also include
other variables/conditions) that people could refer to.

Eg, (I wish I had the tool to actually do the test :-)
Miller 1000, 230VAC, 50 amp line, unfiltered
Craftsman 6 HP, 30 gallon compressor, no air drier, 50 foot 3/8" air
line
Handheld, 1/16" standoff

1" thick mild steel plate
cut time: 70 seconds,
cut length: 27 inches
IPM (calculated): 23 IPM

3/4" thick mild steel plate,

How about this idea:
Plotting/computing rated thickness inches per minute per dollar?

I figure multiply the thickness by the inches per minute (IPM) rating
since the thicker the better and the faster the better and then divide
by the cost (less expensive is good for me :-).

Eg, Miller 2050 states 0.875" @ 10 IPM, and they run about $2500 at
the local welding shop.

Sooo.... 0.875 * 10 / $2500 -- 0.0035 t-IPM/$
Or, $285.71 per thickness-IPM

Perhaps one could add in a duty-cycle rating correction factor or
something of the sort as well.

I know that there are likely to be strong variations in the claims by
the manufacturers, but it does bring some concrete numbers to bear.

I'm sure a more elaborate and encompassing equation could be employed
to give a more accurate representation of the value.

Here's what I've computed for the plasma cutters that I'd love to own
but can't afford. Prices are from online sources:

Hypertherm 1000: $2085 @ welders-direct.com
0.75" @ 22 IPM
60A @ 140VDC, 50% duty cycle (240V 1ph)
$126 per T-IPM

Hypertherm 1250: $2865 @ welders-direct.com
1" @ 16 IPM
80A @ 150VDC, 50% duty cycle (240V 1ph)
$179 per T-IPM

Hypertherm 600: $1650 @ welders-direct.com
0.375" @ 24 IPM
40A @ 140VDC, 50% duty cycle (240V 1ph)
$183 per T-IPM

Miller 2050 : $2217 from cyberweld.com
Rated cut 7/8" @ 10 IPM
55A @ 110VDC, 50% duty cycle (230V 1ph)
$253 per T-IPM

Thanks.
-Ralph

Steve Smith

Is this a useful number to you? It seems like it would be a pretty
specific use situation to make it a useful figure of merit.

If this is useful, a major consideration will be reliability and repair
time.

Steve

wrote:

[...]

While, it is kind of contrived and strange, it does seem to give some
rough approximation of useful kilowatt output (and thus cutting
speed/thickness) per $.

Other factors that I would incorporate:
duty cycle ratings (multiply)
warranty (multiply)

Overall, the Hypertherm numbers seem to be quite a bit higher than
others for the same thickness. Either this is magic on their part, or
fancy.

Thanks.
-Ralph

Too_Many_Tools

I would add the cost of consumables...plasma cutters are expensive to
feed.

TMT