Airy R.Bean

Default Clock Cutters - Wow! (Was: GEAR CUTTERS!!!! - Who was asking?)

Deciding that what I really wanted was a pair of wheel and pinion
cutters for my clock (Alec Price's "Half-sized Turret Clock", EIM,
Sept 2000 et seq); rather than beating about the bush in order to
derive ways of making such cutters, that I ought to bite-the-bullet
and just order them, having been farting around for a couple of
years in pursuit of similar, but without success. (Yes - this
project's been a long time in the genesis - I purchased the metal
for it three years ago after speaking to Mr.Price at the one of the
Shows and seeing his completed clock, and then speaking to
Mr.Price again at the same show a year later!)

This I did so, and got excellent service from PP Thornton - a telephone
order was promptly delivered, and they spare the time to discuss at
length the nature of the cutters, even though no sale was guaranteed.

BUT!!!!! £115 for two cutters, each of which turn out to be the size of
3 X 10p pieces, when one could buy a complete set of 8 involute cutters
for £15 less, and get a lot more metal for your money!!

WOW!

(No reflection on PP Thornton implied - as I said above, I recommend them
for their prompt and polite service!)

Oddly enough, it was the presence of the series of articles for that clock
that got me to subscribe to EIM, but see other thread about too many
magazines!)

"Airy R.Bean" wrote in message
At the Ally Pally show, the firm RDG TOOLS were selling 14.5 PA
20 DP gear cutters (Myford type) for £12-50 ea. (£100 for a set of 8!)

I was going to buy a set, but SWMBO whom I had taken along for a
day out (She did end up buying a set of wood planes from that
Frenchman) asked if I was actually going to use them in the foreseeable
future,
and despite having planned to look for a set, I made the mistake
of passing them over!

One of those impulse buys one regrets walking away from!