ALL the plasma cutters are overrated in size, read the spec's very
carefully. I have a Hypertherm 380 good for 3/8? Yeah maybe on a good
day you could get a cut, but not a pretty sight. 1/4 inch is more like
it, and it usually takes a drilling a pilot hole before pierceing a
hole in the center. From the edge no problem starting a 1/4 inch cut.
I would say the most important is #1 Service, where and by who and #2
Cost for the tips and nozzles, can you get locally if needed in a
hurry.
Had mine for nearly two years and it is running on a PlasmaCAM CNC
machine.
B.G.

wrote:
Does anybody have a feel for how "optimistic" or overstated some of

the
ratings for some of the import plasma cutters in terms if "feedrates"
and thicknesses (quality/rated, max, severance, ...)?

Is it worthwhile to avoid the imports, or are they of sufficient
quality and durability?

I'm considering a Riland Cut60 (60 amp). At $1050 + $35 shipping, it
is almost half the cost of the cutters that I really want

(Hypertherm
Powermax 1000, Miller 2050, Miller 1000, Thermal Dynamics 81), but

lack
the cash to buy.

The Riland guy gave me some specs of 3" per minute for 1.25"
thickness mild steel and 7" per minute for 1" thick mild steel. That
seems lower than some of the other, namebrand 60 amp cutters. I'm

also
curious as to how good its duty cycle is.

Another plasma cutter I'm considering is the $500 unit from Harbor
Freight.
Anybody know what the specs and cutting speeds are on this unit?

There
isn't much in their catalog.

Thanks!
-Ralph