AL

Default Leatherman stainless steel too soft

Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on various
computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the fasteners are
low torque and are not corroded. I have two Leatherman tools (the original
one, and a small keychain model) and have found them to be perfect for this
application. Unfortunately, despite all the fasteners being low torque, and
me being careful not to overwork the tool, I frequently end up twisting and
bending the various flat-headed pieces of the tool. Leatherman has been
good with repairing them under warranty, but I'm getting tired of having to
mail them in.

I think their stainless steel is too soft. What about the competitor models
made by Gerber, etc.? Do they use better steel? I'm not talking about the
overseas models you get at the local dollar store, but ones that are
similarly priced.

Robin S.

"AL" wrote in message

I think their stainless steel is too soft.

I don't think stainless steel really gets *that* tough.

I sell a ton of driver bits at work. They're available as steel, coated
steel (for corrosion resistance) or carbide tipped. No stainless is
available. I can only assume this is because of its less desireable
mechanical properties.

Similarly, *good* knives are made of tool steel - not stainless.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Regards,

Robin

Karl Vorwerk

The new Wave and Leatherman Charge have interchangeable non SS bits. They're
not standard bits so if you buy one get the Charge as it comes with a set of
double ended bits. The bit set alone costs $19 or so . Also you get to tell
people it's got titanium scales. Cheapest price I've found for the Charge is
$99.95.
Karl

"AL" wrote in message
Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on
various computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the
fasteners are low torque and are not corroded. I have two Leatherman
tools (the original one, and a small keychain model) and have found them
to be perfect for this application. Unfortunately, despite all the
fasteners being low torque, and me being careful not to overwork the tool,
I frequently end up twisting and bending the various flat-headed pieces of
the tool. Leatherman has been good with repairing them under warranty,
but I'm getting tired of having to mail them in.

I think their stainless steel is too soft. What about the competitor
models made by Gerber, etc.? Do they use better steel? I'm not talking
about the overseas models you get at the local dollar store, but ones that
are similarly priced.

Anthony

"AL" wrote in :

[...]

My Gerber has been an excellent tool for quite a number of years, under
considerably more stressful situations than computer work.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email

http://www.machines-cnc.net:81/
Glenn

Well I just got a SOG and compared to the leatherman it is a worthless POS.
Only sharpened on one edge and the wire edge is rolled over so badly you
couldn't use it for a butter knife. I haven't tried the screwdrivers on it
.... got it home and looked it over and tossed it on a shelf...make a good
quick present for someone who dosen't use tools
If you have the big leatherman you might conside getting the screwdriver
attachment. It clips to your "Batman Utility Belt" as my kids call it and
has good 1/4" bits you can easily replace individually. I ordered a
leatherman to replace mine that I wore out and they sent me a SOG instead.
I ordered the leatherman screwdriver set to go with it and got that .. new
knife that won't work with the new attachment.
Glenn
"AL" wrote in message
Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on
various computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the
fasteners are low torque and are not corroded. I have two Leatherman
tools (the original one, and a small keychain model) and have found them
to be perfect for this application. Unfortunately, despite all the
fasteners being low torque, and me being careful not to overwork the tool,
I frequently end up twisting and bending the various flat-headed pieces of
the tool. Leatherman has been good with repairing them under warranty,
but I'm getting tired of having to mail them in.

I think their stainless steel is too soft. What about the competitor
models made by Gerber, etc.? Do they use better steel? I'm not talking
about the overseas models you get at the local dollar store, but ones that
are similarly priced.

JohnM

AL wrote:
[...]

5" Vise-Grips are my preferred pocket tool. Not too pricey, very
functional.. don't bother with any locking plier but the Vise-Grip
brand, everything else I've tried is not nearly as good.

John
DoN. Nichols

In article , AL wrote:
Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on various
computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the fasteners are
low torque and are not corroded. I have two Leatherman tools (the original
one, and a small keychain model) and have found them to be perfect for this
application. Unfortunately, despite all the fasteners being low torque, and
me being careful not to overwork the tool, I frequently end up twisting and
bending the various flat-headed pieces of the tool. Leatherman has been
good with repairing them under warranty, but I'm getting tired of having to
mail them in.

I think their stainless steel is too soft. What about the competitor models
made by Gerber, etc.? Do they use better steel?

The Gerber which is on my belt has yet to have a blade bend.
And if you need different torque limits, or different bits, mine comes
with a square shafted Phillips blade (forged, from the looks), with an
accessory pack containing a cylindrical piece which has a square hole in
one end (with a spring to increase the friction), and a 1/4" hex hole in
the other end, which accepts the short bits for magnetic handle
screwdrivers. They all fit into a rubber "organizer" housing which fits
a second pocket in the belt pouch. It normally comes with three
straight-blade bits and three Phillips blade bits, but I have removed
the one which matches the fold-out Phillips blade with a Torx bit (No.
10 or 12, I think) for use with the 10-32 screws I use for rack mounting
some recording equipment in my portable "mini-studio".

FWIW, I prefer the Gerber ones anyway -- as you can open them
single-handed with just a flick of the wrist (if you grip it properly).
Leatherman always seems to require two hands to unfold it.

And aside from that, the Gerber has the folds on the handles
such that while gripping it, you are faced with two shapes like this:
(Think of the '(' and ')' as being your palm and fingers.)
([ ])

Instead of the Leatherman handles which present the following to your
hand:

(] [)

Note that there are sharper edges presented to the hand by the
Leatherman, so you can't use as tight a grip before things get painful.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
SteveB

"AL" wrote in message
Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on
various computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the
fasteners are low torque and are not corroded. I have two Leatherman
tools (the original one, and a small keychain model) and have found them
to be perfect for this application. Unfortunately, despite all the
fasteners being low torque, and me being careful not to overwork the tool,
I frequently end up twisting and bending the various flat-headed pieces of
the tool. Leatherman has been good with repairing them under warranty,
but I'm getting tired of having to mail them in.

I think their stainless steel is too soft. What about the competitor
models made by Gerber, etc.? Do they use better steel? I'm not talking
about the overseas models you get at the local dollar store, but ones that
are similarly priced.

I got several that are made in China probably. I do believe they are
stainless. My wife sells them for a distributor. I have sold some on ebay.

What makes them better is that the screwdriver part has a hex head, and
takes those bits. You just put any bit in there you can name.........
phillips any number, straight, square, torx, specialty, you name it. If you
strip it, you just chuck it, and get another.

I gave one to a friend of mine who is a union electrician. He loves it over
his Leatherman and Gerber because of the replaceable bits.

I hate the Leathermen and Gerbers for this exact reason. The screwdrivers
don't last at all, and that's what you use the most.

I'll keep my cheapo Chinese one in its snakeskin case. Those bits are
cheap, and you can get specialty bits for whatever it is you do.

Steve

Karl Vorwerk

I like the Gerber but I have the Leatherman Charge because the knives open
and close one handed it does take practice to open the pliers one handed
quickly. I miss the speed of the Gerber pliers.
Karl

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
In article , AL wrote:
[...]

Chuck Sherwood

Part of my job responsibilities require me to perform maintenance on
various computers and telecom gear. Unlike working on a car, all the

Perhaps the best solution is to use the right tool instead of a univeral
tool. Since this is your job, it seems to me that you should have the
appropiate toolkit to go with it. Ask your supervisior to buy you the
right tools for the job.

Robin S.

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message

Perhaps the best solution is to use the right tool instead of a univeral
tool. Since this is your job, it seems to me that you should have the
appropiate toolkit to go with it. Ask your supervisior to buy you the
right tools for the job.

I can't imagine being in the electrical/computer fields and not having
decent phillips and slot drivers. I'm almost tempted to buy a Wiha P2 driver
at work (about $6) just to work on my computer at home. Besides, buying
tools is half the fun of being in the trades...

Regards,

Robin

AL

Having the right tools is one thing, but having the right tools on hand when
I need them is the problem. Getting the right screwdriver means running
back to my desk (sometimes 10 minutes away) rather than fixing the problem
on the spot, especially since the job requires few tools. This is why I use
the Leatherman. It is always on my belt. I used to carry a small toolbag
(about the size of a pencil case) but I frequently set it down somewhere and
then forgot about it. Factoring in the amount of time I wasted going back
to the location of the last job, it just wasn't worth it.

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message

Perhaps the best solution is to use the right tool instead of a univeral
tool. Since this is your job, it seems to me that you should have the
appropiate toolkit to go with it. Ask your supervisior to buy you the
right tools for the job.

I can't imagine being in the electrical/computer fields and not having
decent phillips and slot drivers. I'm almost tempted to buy a Wiha P2
driver at work (about $6) just to work on my computer at home. Besides,
buying tools is half the fun of being in the trades...

Regards,

Robin

Jon Grimm

I love the 6-way screwdrivers they sell at the home improvement stores

I carry a leather wave a lot, but when you push them past practical limits,
they do tend to fail

for a daily knife, I bought one they carry at wal-mart (gawd I hate that
store, but they have THIS KNIFE)

It is a Kershaw, American made, designed by Ken Onion.
Spring assist open, locking, black plastic grip with black blade, either
combination straight edge/serrated, or stright edge only.

"Robin S." wrote in message
.. .

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message

Perhaps the best solution is to use the right tool instead of a univeral
tool. Since this is your job, it seems to me that you should have the
appropiate toolkit to go with it. Ask your supervisior to buy you the
right tools for the job.

I can't imagine being in the electrical/computer fields and not having
decent phillips and slot drivers. I'm almost tempted to buy a Wiha P2
driver at work (about $6) just to work on my computer at home. Besides,
buying tools is half the fun of being in the trades...

Regards,

Robin

Chuck Sherwood

Having the right tools is one thing, but having the right tools on hand when
I need them is the problem. Getting the right screwdriver means running
back to my desk (sometimes 10 minutes away) rather than fixing the problem

Perhaps you can find a something that attachs to your belt that will
carry a couple of the most frequently used screw drivers.

SteveB

"Chuck Sherwood" wrote in message
Having the right tools is one thing, but having the right tools on hand
when
I need them is the problem. Getting the right screwdriver means running
back to my desk (sometimes 10 minutes away) rather than fixing the problem

Perhaps you can find a something that attachs to your belt that will
carry a couple of the most frequently used screw drivers.

Just make sure it will carry a lot of tools and weighs enough to pull down
your beltline to show that cute butt crack of yours.

Steve ;-)

Gunner

On 27 Jul 2005 14:07:54 GMT, (Chuck
Sherwood) wrote:

Having the right tools is one thing, but having the right tools on hand when
I need them is the problem. Getting the right screwdriver means running
back to my desk (sometimes 10 minutes away) rather than fixing the problem

Perhaps you can find a something that attachs to your belt that will
carry a couple of the most frequently used screw drivers.

The EMT holsters,, which are commonly available at gun shows, is
light, handly, will hold a couple screwdrivers, needle nose or
whathaveyou plyers, a mini-mag flashlight, knife, etc, without being
in the way or adding much weight.

http://www.firstrespondersupplies.com/pm765b.htm

http://www.baproducts.com/raine.htm#emt

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/tmtrc130brfo.html

You may also find this of interest

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4798.php

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability,
accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose
and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee,
imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any
particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or
responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect
to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by
any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it
into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts
that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other
agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within
five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or
by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron
who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece
of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a
bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'