jon_banquer

Default Recommended Reading

I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

Wizard

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

Biography Of A Genius

By Marc J. Seifer

jon

Mike Fields

Another "character" that was interesting to read about
is Charles P. Steinmetz -- major influence on the
electrical systems of today.

mikey

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

Wizard

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

Biography Of A Genius

By Marc J. Seifer

jon

Just Me

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

Wizard

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

Biography Of A Genius

By Marc J. Seifer

jon

Yes, I've read a lot of stuff on Tesla. He was misunderstood and not given
the praise that he should have recieved. A true genius!

For example, most people say that Marconi invented the radio when in fact it
was Tesla.

Lane

Robert Swinney

"Just Me" notreal at nowhere dot com wrote in message

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

Wizard

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

Biography Of A Genius

By Marc J. Seifer

jon

Yes, I've read a lot of stuff on Tesla. He was misunderstood and not given
the praise that he should have recieved. A true genius!

For example, most people say that Marconi invented the radio when in fact
it was Tesla.

Lane
I suspect Marconi got the credit because he perfected the coherer, a sort
of liquid diode type of thing to detect RF.

Bob Swinney

Nick Müller

jon_banquer wrote:

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

I liked "Nikola Tesla, the man who invented the 20th century" a lot.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Cliff

On 12 Jul 2005 14:35:35 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

You could actually be let inside a library if you bathed & asked
nicely.
--
Cliff

I saw a documentary on Tesla some months ago.......If I recall
correctly, it was stated that Tesla was to receive a royalty of
something like $2 for every horsepower of electrical motors produced
(by Westinghouse or some other firm)......I think the contract was
changed or never signed......If it was true and ever took place, the
wealth of Tesla would probably make Bill Gates look like a pauper in
comparison........

Robert Swinney

PS and FWIW Another recommended Tesla Tome is "The Inventions, Researches
and Writings of Nikola Tesla". Very technical; contains a lot of papers and
addresses to various intellectual bodies of the time. A hard read, though,
because a lot of the terminology used is different from that of today.

Bob Swinney
"Just Me" notreal at nowhere dot com wrote in message

"jon_banquer" wrote in message
oups.com...
I purchased this book yesterday and have found it to be the best book
on the subject of Tesla I have read so far.

Wizard

The Life And Times Of Nikola Tesla

Biography Of A Genius

By Marc J. Seifer

jon

Yes, I've read a lot of stuff on Tesla. He was misunderstood and not given
the praise that he should have recieved. A true genius!

For example, most people say that Marconi invented the radio when in fact
it was Tesla.

Lane

jim rozen

In article , Robert Swinney says...
ne
I suspect Marconi got the credit because he perfected the coherer, a sort
of liquid diode type of thing to detect RF.

(attributes got messed up a bit I think there, was that Bob's
comment?)

Coherers are not electrolytic, they use powdered metal filings which
stick together (cohere) under the influence of applied rf energy.

There is good reason to believe that while marconi developed the
coherer into a relatively well-funtioning product, he did not
invent it.

Reginald Fessenden invented the electrolytic detector which is
probably the 'liquid diode' mentioned above.

Jim

please reply to:

Robert Swinney

Jim sez: "Coherers are not electrolytic, they use powdered metal filings
which
stick together (cohere) under the influence of applied rf energy.

There is good reason to believe that while marconi developed the
coherer into a relatively well-funtioning product, he did not
invent it."
Reginald Fessenden invented the electrolytic detector which is
probably the 'liquid diode' mentioned above."

My mistake Jim. The key point is that Marconi developed a way to detect
(demod) RF whereas Tesla may have been among the first to generate RF. I
think it is safe to say Marconi perfected wireless transmission of telegraph
signals. Thanx for the correction on Fessenden's liquid diode. I recall
reading that early watt-hour meters were electrolytic devices. Not sure how
they worked, though. Maybe someone can help.

Boib Swinney

Westinghouse asked him to let him out of it, for cash flow problems.
And he did. (!)
Pete

Al A.

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:35:36 -0500, "Robert Swinney"
wrote:
I recall
reading that early watt-hour meters were electrolytic devices. Not sure how
they worked, though. Maybe someone can help.

Boib Swinney

I may not remeber this 100% correctly, but I seem to recall reading
that at one point, one type of meter was a sort of electrolytic cell
with copper bars in it, in which as the customer drew power from the
line, it would cause material to be plated onto the copper bars.
Periodically, the "meter reader" would drop by and weigh the rods to
determine how much to bill the customer. Drawing a blank on the
details and source, so this could be all wrong. G

-AL

Jim Stewart

wrote:
I recall

reading that early watt-hour meters were electrolytic devices. Not sure how
they worked, though. Maybe someone can help.

Boib Swinney

I may not remeber this 100% correctly, but I seem to recall reading
that at one point, one type of meter was a sort of electrolytic cell
with copper bars in it, in which as the customer drew power from the
line, it would cause material to be plated onto the copper bars.
Periodically, the "meter reader" would drop by and weigh the rods to
determine how much to bill the customer. Drawing a blank on the
details and source, so this could be all wrong. G

I've heard of such a thing.

A lot of old Sony pro video gear had hour
meters that worked on the same principle.
A little glass cartridge about the size of
a 3AG fuse with a bead of metal that would
move over time when current was applied.
They were good for 1000 hours and then could
be flipped around for another 1000 hours.

jim rozen

In article , Robert Swinney says...
... I recall
reading that early watt-hour meters were electrolytic devices. Not sure how
they worked, though. Maybe someone can help.

Ah, now *that* was edison, of course. He could not make any
kind of watt-hour meter that depended on any AC effects of course.
So he invented and used the electrolytic type. They had to
be kept from freezing incidently.

Jim

please reply to:
Ron DeBlock

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 15:35:36 -0500, Robert Swinney wrote:
My mistake Jim. The key point is that Marconi developed a way to detect
(demod) RF whereas Tesla may have been among the first to generate RF. I
think it is safe to say Marconi perfected wireless transmission of telegraph
signals. Thanx for the correction on Fessenden's liquid diode.

Jagadish Chandra Bose, an Indian physicist, has been credited with
wireless signaling well before Marconi. He demonstrated signaling and
remote control with microwaves in the 1896. He was the first to
use a semiconductor detector, and invented many devices used in microwave
communication. See http://www.calcuttaweb.com/people/jcbose.shtml

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

DoN. Nichols

wrote:
I recall
reading that early watt-hour meters were electrolytic devices. Not sure how
they worked, though. Maybe someone can help.

Boib Swinney

I may not remeber this 100% correctly, but I seem to recall reading
that at one point, one type of meter was a sort of electrolytic cell
with copper bars in it, in which as the customer drew power from the
line, it would cause material to be plated onto the copper bars.
Periodically, the "meter reader" would drop by and weigh the rods to
determine how much to bill the customer. Drawing a blank on the
details and source, so this could be all wrong. G

This sounds believable -- at least for a DC supply. AC would
plate things back and forth at 1/120th second intrevals (here in the
USA), or at 1/100th second intervals in the UK.

Wasn't it Westinghouse who was the proponent of the DC power
distribution system, and Tesla the proponent of AC distribution?

And, as another followup mentioned, there were tiny
hours-of-operation meters which worked on this principle -- back in the
1970s, IIRC. I had some of them at work, for certain projects.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Tim Williams

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
Wasn't it Westinghouse who was the proponent of the DC power
distribution system, and Tesla the proponent of AC distribution?

Nah, Edison was DC. Westinghouse bought rights to Tesla's patents and
employed him.

I recall soon after Tesla arrived, he was digging ditches for Edison; I
don't remember if he did anything technical. I know he didn't like Tom and
his big interest in DC. g

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

jim rozen

In article , Ron DeBlock says...

Jagadish Chandra Bose, an Indian physicist,

*ding* A winner.

I think Hertz's experiments were before that however.

Jim

please reply to:
jim rozen

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

Wasn't it Westinghouse who was the proponent of the DC power
distribution system, and Tesla the proponent of AC distribution?

Ah, no. The big fight was Edison against everyone else.

Edison wire lower manhattan for DC distribution early on and
continually pushed against AC.

Eventually Edison Electric was bought out by westinghouse
IIRC, and became General Electric (GE).

Jim

please reply to:
Nick Müller

jim rozen wrote:

Edison wire lower manhattan for DC distribution early on and
continually pushed against AC.

.... and having roadshows that "demonstrated" how harmfull and dangerous
AC is. He paid a litte money to the local heroes err... boys to bring
him some dogs that were then electrocuted in the public with AC.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
Peter Wiley

In article , DoN. Nichols
wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Edison for DC power. Big fights with Tesla, he actually employed Tesla
at one stage, IIRC, to do some work on synchronising DC gen sets.

PDW
Just Me

""Nick Müller"" wrote in message
jim rozen wrote:

Edison wire lower manhattan for DC distribution early on and
continually pushed against AC.

... and having roadshows that "demonstrated" how harmfull and dangerous
AC is. He paid a litte money to the local heroes err... boys to bring
him some dogs that were then electrocuted in the public with AC.

Nick
--

He even did an elephant or two along with cats. PETA would love him!

Lane

jon_banquer

Robert Swinney wrote:
[...]

I would suggest you read the Tesla book I mentioned and find out what
really happened in regards to Marconi. It's very well covered. Marconi
lost the major patent law suits to Tesla until the U.S. government in a
time or war.....

It's in the book. :)

jon

jon_banquer

DoN. Nichols wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Very early on Westinghouse understood the huge advantage of Tesla's
polyphase AC system.

Westinghouse was awarded the contract for turning Niagara Falls into a
major AC power provider based on Tesla's patents.

It was Edison who pushed DC power and portrayed AC power as very
dangerous.

jon

PrecisionMachinisT

Robert Swinney wrote:
[...]

The REAL battle came later....between Edison and Westinghouse, and in the
end, it was influenced very heavily by ( of all things ) the Electric Chair.

--

SVL

Nick Müller

jon banquer wrote:

I will have to check that book out. Thanks for the heads up.

This is my only book about Tesla. If you know already some, maybe it
won't have that much new.
It's focus is more on the commercial side of Tesla. Not so much focus
that it gets boaring (I'm not at all a salesman), but just enough to see
what he made wrong and how he got ripped every now and then. Still his
inventions and his life are the biggest part of the book.
Really nice to read.

Nick

--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...
Cliff

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 18:26:28 -0700, "PrecisionMachinisT"
wrote:

the Electric Chair

Thinking of jb again?
--
Cliff
Cliff

On 14 Jul 2005 17:02:03 -0700, "jon_banquer"
wrote:

I believe the Wardenclyffe site should be preserved and the tower
rebuilt. That it has not been done already is IMO quite sad.

Having reading comprehension issues again?
IIRC Tesla tore it down & destroyed any plans.
Not in your book? LOL ...
--
Cliff
Wild Bill

And yet it was many years before AC would become popular as a use for
cooking meat (prepared, not on the hoof).

The wonderful Presto "Hot Dogger" was a cute little countertop cooking
device that electrocuted dogs.
I used to see these in the 60s.

WB

jim rozen wrote:

Edison wire lower manhattan for DC distribution early on and
continually pushed against AC.

... and having roadshows that "demonstrated" how harmfull and dangerous
AC is. He paid a litte money to the local heroes err... boys to bring
him some dogs that were then electrocuted in the public with AC.

Nick
--
Motormodelle / Engine Models:
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Ellwe 2FB * VTM 87 * DLM-S3a * cubic
more to come ...

Tim Williams

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
that it gets boaring

*snort snoort*
*squeeeeeeeee!*

Tim gd,r

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

jim rozen

In article .com, jon_banquer
says...

I would suggest you read the Tesla book I mentioned and find out what
really happened in regards to Marconi. It's very well covered. Marconi
lost the major patent law suits to Tesla until the U.S. government in a
time or war.....

American Marconi ceased to exist after ww1. This was basically
by agreement of all parties concerned. The end result of this
was RCA, a corporation that was conceived of and created pretty
much out of whole cloth by US government regulators.

The point was that at the time, the US had no reliable means
to communicate with europe besides some sketchy, vulnerable
translantic cables. Other than, the alexanderson alternators
that were owned by marconi co.

Foreign ownership of infrastructure like that was unacceptable
to the government. But IIRC everyone came away from the deal
happy.

Jim

please reply to:
Cliff

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:59:45 -0500, "John Scheldroup"
wrote:

AFAIK, a charged-particle beam weapon that could also transmit power from
LEO solar farm high above stationary earth to a ground based collector is
one other likely scenario.

Actually, the sun emits lots of radio waves ... and you
can set up an antenna and use a bridge rectifier ....

Even better, usually, is a tuned circuit with tuned antenna
for 60 or 120 Hz (probably mostly US technology only).
--
Cliff
Abrasha

Robert Swinney wrote:

Yes, I've read a lot of stuff on Tesla. He was misunderstood and not given
the praise that he should have recieved. A true genius!

The same is true for Philo Taylor Farnsworth!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Just Me

"Abrasha" wrote in message
Robert Swinney wrote:

Yes, I've read a lot of stuff on Tesla. He was misunderstood and not
given the praise that he should have recieved. A true genius!

The same is true for Philo Taylor Farnsworth!

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Yes I agree. From plowing a field to TV. Who'd-ah-thunk!

Lane

Emergency "Reading Glasses" Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 15 May 30th 05 08:38 AM
Fine Woodworking Proven Shop Tips - NOT recommended BillyBob Woodworking 14 February 3rd 05 01:27 AM
this is very worth reading...NOT JUST ANOTHER INTERNET SCAM shane Woodturning 3 January 10th 05 12:49 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
What is recommended insulation? rck Home Repair 28 June 22nd 04 12:00 AM