Grant Erwin

Default graphite electrodes in EDR - use?

OK, I got a couple of bars of solid graphite rems about 3/4" square by 10" long.
This stuff feels wimpy to me. I don't want to clamp on the leads from my battery
charger. I'm considering drilling and tapping the ends for 1/4-20 brass
allthread, and using 2 brass nuts up on the end. Then I'd crimp 1/4" lugs on the
ends of a couple of pieces of wire and attach those to my 2 electrodes, then
bolt the other ends together using another short piece of brass allthread and 2
nuts, then I'd catch the clamp from the battery charger to that. How do you guys
actually attach power to graphite electrodes?

GWE
Brian Lawson

Hey Grant,

I don't know what EDR is, as I haven't followed the start of this
project. But "attaching power" to carbons used for EDM (not your
EDR), they are all attached to some isolatable current carrying platen
to which the "cable" is solidly attached, so that there is no need to
move the cable at any time. The carbon is then attached to this
platen, either though bolted, clamped externally (ie easy to do to
with rectangles or rounds), or crazy glued to a special holder for
easy change/replacement.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:02:20 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

OK, I got a couple of bars of solid graphite rems about 3/4" square by 10" long.
This stuff feels wimpy to me. I don't want to clamp on the leads from my battery
charger. I'm considering drilling and tapping the ends for 1/4-20 brass
allthread, and using 2 brass nuts up on the end. Then I'd crimp 1/4" lugs on the
ends of a couple of pieces of wire and attach those to my 2 electrodes, then
bolt the other ends together using another short piece of brass allthread and 2
nuts, then I'd catch the clamp from the battery charger to that. How do you guys
actually attach power to graphite electrodes?

GWE

Bushy Pete

I'd stick with your idea of drill and bolt, or a bracket that will clamp
onto the carbon block. That way you can get nice large wire connections in
place that can transfer larger currents without tiny little hot spots that
only reduce the power useable. If you don't already have lugs on your cable,
clamp a short piece of 1/2 inch diameter copper water pipe straight onto the
wire with a vice or an anvil and "FBH". (f______ big hammer!)

It's the cheapest cable clamps you can get and they are almost always
available in the junk metal bin. You can drill them to suit almost any
screw, bolt or combination of multiple bolts. They are also great for
automotive battery or starter connections.

Hope this helps,
Peter

wrote:

OK, I got a couple of bars of solid graphite rems about 3/4" square by

10" long.
This stuff feels wimpy to me. I don't want to clamp on the leads from my

battery
charger. I'm considering drilling and tapping the ends for 1/4-20 brass
allthread, and using 2 brass nuts up on the end. Then I'd crimp 1/4" lugs

on the
ends of a couple of pieces of wire and attach those to my 2 electrodes,

then
bolt the other ends together using another short piece of brass allthread

and 2
nuts, then I'd catch the clamp from the battery charger to that. How do

you guys
actually attach power to graphite electrodes?

GWE

Grant Erwin

My TLA "EDR" is shorthand for electrolytic derusting. (My TLA "TLA" is shorthand
for "three letter acronym".)

Clamping sounds pretty doable.

Grant

wrote:

OK, I got a couple of bars of solid graphite rems about 3/4" square by 10" long.
This stuff feels wimpy to me. I don't want to clamp on the leads from my battery
charger. I'm considering drilling and tapping the ends for 1/4-20 brass
allthread, and using 2 brass nuts up on the end. Then I'd crimp 1/4" lugs on the
ends of a couple of pieces of wire and attach those to my 2 electrodes, then
bolt the other ends together using another short piece of brass allthread and 2
nuts, then I'd catch the clamp from the battery charger to that. How do you guys
actually attach power to graphite electrodes?

GWE

Ed Huntress

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
My TLA "EDR" is shorthand for electrolytic derusting. (My TLA "TLA" is

shorthand
for "three letter acronym".)

Clamping sounds pretty doable.

Aha. I didn't realize what "EDR" was, either.

I do a lot of the swab-type derusting, with a 1" x 3/4" x 8" slab of Poco 3
I cut off an old EDM electrode. My power supply (a 4-amp battery charger)
runs at 2 - 4 amps on this work, and I use a really big bulldog clip to
carry power.

I've also used the small battery clamps that come with the charger. Both
work perfectly well at 4 A.

--
Ed Huntress

Orrin Iseminger

wrote:

OK, I got a couple of bars of solid graphite rems about 3/4" square by 10" long.
This stuff feels wimpy to me. I don't want to clamp on the leads from my battery
charger. I'm considering drilling and tapping the ends for 1/4-20 brass
allthread, and using 2 brass nuts up on the end. Then I'd crimp 1/4" lugs on the
ends of a couple of pieces of wire and attach those to my 2 electrodes, then
bolt the other ends together using another short piece of brass allthread and 2
nuts, then I'd catch the clamp from the battery charger to that. How do you guys
actually attach power to graphite electrodes?

GWE

Grant, I started out fancy by drilling a close-fitting hole in the
graphite and inserting a copper wire with the insulation stripped back
a bit. Then, I sealed it with glue.

All that is not necessary. Now, I simply allow the electrode to stick
out of the solution a half inch, or so, and attach the alligator clip
from the power supply.

Regards,

Orrin

Grant Erwin

Grant, I started out fancy by drilling a close-fitting hole in the
graphite and inserting a copper wire with the insulation stripped back
a bit. Then, I sealed it with glue.

All that is not necessary. Now, I simply allow the electrode to stick
out of the solution a half inch, or so, and attach the alligator clip
from the power supply.

Ah. That makes sense. I may wind up going that way yet. On another issue, I
wonder if there's any way to "soak up" the bubbled off hydrogen. For example, if
there were some common household chemical that freely dissolved large amounts of
hydrogen, maybe you could soak a rag in it and drape it over the bucket.

Grant
Tim Williams

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Ah. That makes sense. I may wind up going that way yet. On another
issue, I wonder if there's any way to "soak up" the bubbled off
hydrogen. For example, if there were some common household chemical
that freely dissolved large amounts of hydrogen, maybe you could soak
a rag in it and drape it over the bucket.

Well, you can use manganese dioxide (it's the black stuff in "dry cells"
BTW, for exactly that purpose), but that would be a rather lot more
inconvienient than just letting it vent. Platinum catalyst might do it, but
you need just as much, only it costs 5000 times more (count on a few pounds
of powdered Pt). You got hydrogenophobia or somethin?? It dissipates way
faster than is ever flammable y'know.

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

grounding water pipe William Deans Home Repair 50 February 19th 05 04:09 AM
Potterton - should electrodes glow red hot? philmcaleese UK diy 1 February 4th 05 01:17 AM
Powdered Graphite John Woodworking 6 June 28th 04 01:28 PM
GASKET MATERIALS: FLEXIBLE GRAPHITE Richard He Woodworking 0 March 11th 04 01:54 AM
Electrolytic rust removal question The Hurdy Gurdy Man Metalworking 29 February 22nd 04 05:40 AM