GTO69RA4

Default Drill press center pulley/jackshaft ideas

I happen to have just finished restoring a vintage Rockwell drill press (pics
if anyone wants to see it). It's the usual 4-speed type, but that's not enough
for me. What I'm looking for are photos or descriptions of center
pulleys/jackshafts that fitt around/near the column. Specifically the center
type.

I know lots of folks here have either made them or have DPs with aftermarket
versions from years gone by. Just looking for some design ideas for when I make
mine.

GTO(John)
Roy Hauer

I did this to my drill press. Instead of making the jackshaft pivot it
can also be made to slide by making an adapter to fit in the column
and move forwrd and back inline with the motor and quill shafts,
instead of slightly off to the side. Seems like there is very little
strain applied to these jackshafts.

If yur interested its on my projects page on my website.

On 13 Aug 2003 03:29:37 GMT, (GTO69RA4) wrote:

x-I happen to have just finished restoring a vintage Rockwell drill press (pics
x-if anyone wants to see it). It's the usual 4-speed type, but that's not enough
x-for me. What I'm looking for are photos or descriptions of center
x-pulleys/jackshafts that fitt around/near the column. Specifically the center
x-type.
x-
x-I know lots of folks here have either made them or have DPs with aftermarket
x-versions from years gone by. Just looking for some design ideas for when I make
x-mine.
x-
x-GTO(John)

--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
jim rozen

In article , GTO69RA4 says...

I happen to have just finished restoring a vintage Rockwell drill press (pics
if anyone wants to see it). It's the usual 4-speed type, but that's not enough
for me. What I'm looking for are photos or descriptions of center
pulleys/jackshafts that fitt around/near the column. Specifically the center
type.

I know lots of folks here have either made them or have DPs with aftermarket
versions from years gone by. Just looking for some design ideas for when I make
mine.

Ths south bend type uses a casting that clamps to the
round column, with a vertical shaft that holds the
c/shaft pulleys.

The walker turner type has a round boss on the head
casting itself, that supports a fore/aft moving
coarse screw - and the screw has a right angle
bracket that supports the pulleys.

One poster here had the great idea to simply mount an additional
motor on the back of the first one, and to use the normal,
high speed motor as the countershaft. The second motor would
drive the first one (off of course) thru a first step of
reduction.

Really the all-time best way is to put a small three phase
motor in, and drive that with a VFD. Works great.

Jim

please reply to: