Lennie the Lurker

Default Drill press center pulley/jackshaft ideas

(GTO69RA4) wrote in message ...
I happen to have just finished restoring a vintage Rockwell drill press (pics
if anyone wants to see it). It's the usual 4-speed type, but that's not enough
for me. What I'm looking for are photos or descriptions of center
pulleys/jackshafts that fitt around/near the column. Specifically the center
type.

I know lots of folks here have either made them or have DPs with aftermarket
versions from years gone by. Just looking for some design ideas for when I make
mine.

The King-Seely sold by Sears back in the '50's had an option,
differential pulley for continuous variable speeds, about 275 to 3750,
no steps. Motor pulley and spindle pulley didn't have to be changed,
you just used one step from them, the diff pulley was on the
countershaft. Pretty simple too. Clamped on the column, rather long
and cheesy link to the lever on the front. It worked.