Wayne

Default Got the Quincy (report for Harold)

Well Harold, I'm reporting in as you asked on a previous post.
If you recall I ordered a Quincy V325 5hp because you
recommended it highly.
I've had it for about a month now and like it very much.
I can get air now without even having to turn it on.

It is louder than its replacement, but it is a different
sound which isn't as annoying. Plus it doesn't run as
long as the old one. I did get the air filter/silencer combo.
It is located in my utility room, the sound of it easily
carries into the living room. My better half says no complaints
about it running.
I may get one of the intake silencers later.

My previous one was a horizontal, put between the washer/drier
and the opposite wall. The horizontal Quincy was too big to
fit there. The vertical works out, but you have to jog around
it to get to the washer/drier. Better half said that was ok.
Turn out she kept hitting one of the pipes on the old one all
these years & never mentioned it. I also have to redo all the
shelving on the wall.

It sometimes leaks air (slowly, 10 lbs a day), sometimes it
holds pretty good. I'm told the valves have to seat in.

Thanks for the recommendation,
Wayne D.
Steve Peterson

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

Wayne, you must have a pretty mellow wife to put up with an air compressor
in the house.
Steve

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

Hey Wayne,

I'm relieved to find your happy with the purchase. It's sort of risky
going out on a limb telling the other guy how to spend his money, but I've
been so pleased with my Quincy that I couldn't imagine anyone else not
sharing at least a similar feeling.

You're a lucky guy, Wayne. I have a wife like yours, too. We're living in
our shop while we're building our retirement home, with my lathe and mill
just on the other side of some temporary cabinets, which are all the
separate us from the chips, and not all that well. She has never complained,
even when she finds chips on the bed after I've run a fly cutter, or roughed
something on the lathe. Do you wonder how many women would put up with
guys like us?

The leakage in an interesting thing. My system will often hold air for
days, yet there are days when the compressor may cycle a time or two. I
never turn it off unless we leave town, and I blow it down (just long enough
to eliminate any water that has collected) almost daily. I have the blow
down system in a manifold assembly that dumps outside the rear of our shop,
so it's not messy, and the noise is a non-issue because we live in the
middle of 5-1/2 acres of wooded land.

If you leave an air hose connected to your line, you might check it for
minor leaks. I've found that's where my air usually goes. The valve
often closes, but not perfectly. A quick push and rapid release of the
button (trigger) usually stops the leakage. It often is so slight I can't
feel it, but you can hear it when you place the nozzle near your ear.
(Don't pull the trigger while doing that!) :-)

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm relieved to find *you're* happy with the purchase. It's sort of

[...]

Grant Erwin

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

My Quincy has a gate valve (not a ball valve) on the main tank outlet. If I open
the gate valve halfway and let it pressurize an air line, it will hiss
perceptibly. However, when I open it all the way open, it seals at the top, and
you can hear the hiss stop dead. Now I get much less bleed-down, simply by when
I open the gate valve, open it all the way. I hear this also holds true for
oxygen cylinders and perhaps other welding gases as well.

GWE

Tom Gardner

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

So, which of your great grandchildren will inherit the Quincy? I hear rumor
that they have oil in them somewhere to change once in a while. Is there a
check valve in the output line going into the tank? There should be so the
valves aren't at fault in the bleed-down.

Wayne

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:14:21 GMT, Tom Gardner
wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don't know. I'm only concerned that I get to use it.

The distributor recommended changing the oil, yikes!, 4 times a year.
Something about getting water in there. I think I changed oil once
or twice on my old one, in 27 yrs, never had water.

Brochure says they use lapped cast iron valve seats, so it doesn't
need a check valve.

Wayne D.

Tom Gardner

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:14:21 GMT, Tom Gardner
wrote:

"Wayne" wrote in message
news
[...]

I got 3 of these puppies and they all have check valves. I have to pull the
exhaust valve bodies about once a year and clean the baked-on carbon off, it
holds the valves open a snitch, but we run the **** out of them. Don't you
love the sound? The past few years we've been using synthetic oil from
Grainger and all apears ok.

Sylvan Butler

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:25:47 -0500, Wayne wrote:
It is located in my utility room, the sound of it easily
carries into the living room. My better half says no complaints

fit there. The vertical works out, but you have to jog around
it to get to the washer/drier. Better half said that was ok.

Turn out she kept hitting one of the pipes on the old one all
these years & never mentioned it. I also have to redo all the

Sounds like you have a good one there. Better hold on to her. Oh, and
the same applies to the compressor too.

sdb

sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com
doo

.. Now I get much less bleed-down, simply by when
I open the gate valve, open it all the way. I hear this also holds true for
oxygen cylinders and perhaps other welding gases as well.

GWE

Grant, let me clarify your point before someone gets hurt. Oxygen
tanks have a double seating valve, which should be opened all the way
when using. Never open acetylene tanks all the way! First, I was always
taught to only crack acetylene 1/4 turn, for if there is an accident
(fire), it is quick to turn off.
Second, acetylene becomes unstable over 15 lbs. That's why there's a
redline on the regulator.
Ron

Grant Erwin

doo wrote:
. Now I get much less bleed-down, simply by when

I open the gate valve, open it all the way. I hear this also holds true for
oxygen cylinders and perhaps other welding gases as well.

GWE

Grant, let me clarify your point before someone gets hurt. Oxygen
tanks have a double seating valve, which should be opened all the way
when using. Never open acetylene tanks all the way! First, I was always
taught to only crack acetylene 1/4 turn, for if there is an accident
(fire), it is quick to turn off.
Second, acetylene becomes unstable over 15 lbs. That's why there's a
redline on the regulator.
Ron

Your points about the acetylene cylinders are well taken. You never stop
learning, do you? - GWE