Waynemak

Default Ok am I wasting money on this?

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to find something else
similar for a better price. That size machine with a bucket
is very much in demand, and since it sounds as if it is close
to being in running condition, my temptation would be to say
"go for it". Caveat: I'm in New England, and farms and farming
equipment is getting scarce, they keep sowing houselots and
reaping mcmansions, so YMMV.
--Glenn Lyford

jw

For the money, seems like a pretty good deal. Even if you can't get it
to run any better than it is now, you can probably part it out for the
same(or more) money.

I don't think you are going to go wrong on it for $1000.

JW

buy it.

the paint is good. there is little rust.

to rent one of these is $200 + an hour.

what to watch out for:

leaking hydraulic pistons, leaking
hydraulic lines. Looks like there
may be an oil leak, the pan is
covered with black. Oil leak is
no big deal, but engine running
with low oil is a NO. There is
a seal between the pan and
the crankcase. This is probably
leaking.

Looks like someone just put
new plugs in it. The battery
may not hold a charge, or
the Generator might be out.

These are great old machines.
Built to last, not to break.

By the look of it, it is at latest
a 1960's machine. 60 + 45 = 2005.
It's been around for 45 years, and
will stay around if you keep it
clean and maintained.

Rich

Rex B

Does the kid come with it? G

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

mclorson

My grandfather used to say "You make money on the purchase, not on the
sale...if you buy it right you can't get hurt" I'd show up with $800
and be prepared to drive away. You can always come back and meet his
price. Its like having an additional conversation that could be worth
$200. When's the last time you had one of those? I don't know about
you, but $200 is more than my bill at the bar. Go for it, but "buy it
right" is my advice.

JohnM

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

I don't think you wasted a penny. Seems I read in a prior thread that
the motor is a 6 cyl. with two used for compressing? I don't remember
for sure.. If it's a four cylinder with a seperate compressor I think
you'll find motor parts easier than you expect, I'm pretty sure Allis
Chalmers used that LeRoi motor in one of their tractors. I've also seen
one in a Bantam crane and a portable compressor.

Nice machine, baby it and it'll last.

John

Waynemak

I am still paying for the kid, but shes worth it
"Rex B" wrote in message
Does the kid come with it? G

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working,
the seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a
flat bed and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

DeepDiver

"Waynemak" wrote in message
"Rex B" wrote in message
Does the kid come with it? G

I am still paying for the kid, but shes worth it

She's adorable so I'd say she's worth every penny. Good job!

As for the tractor, I don't think you can go wrong for just $1000. If you
don't have a lot of experience with engine work, I'd have a mechanic go over
it just to be sure everything is as it should be. I'd hate for the engine to
be damaged or destroyed due to a small service item (oil pressure and flow
being the two most critical).

I like the on-board air compressor: very cool. I'd check the tank for
internal corrosion, considering its age and lack of attention. I wouldn't
want it to explode on you.

I'd also check all the hydraulics, particularly the hoses. A leak in a
high-pressure line could cause serious injury.

Good luck!

- Michael

Waynemak

The tank is a concern seeing it runs at 150 PSI
"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"Waynemak" wrote in message
"Rex B" wrote in message
Does the kid come with it? G

I am still paying for the kid, but shes worth it

She's adorable so I'd say she's worth every penny. Good job!

As for the tractor, I don't think you can go wrong for just $1000. If you
don't have a lot of experience with engine work, I'd have a mechanic go
over it just to be sure everything is as it should be. I'd hate for the
engine to be damaged or destroyed due to a small service item (oil
pressure and flow being the two most critical).

I like the on-board air compressor: very cool. I'd check the tank for
internal corrosion, considering its age and lack of attention. I wouldn't
want it to explode on you.

I'd also check all the hydraulics, particularly the hoses. A leak in a
high-pressure line could cause serious injury.

Good luck!

- Michael

Christopher Tidy

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

Looks like a cool machine. If it's sound, go for it!

Chris

DeepDiver

"Waynemak" wrote in message
"DeepDiver" wrote in message

I like the on-board air compressor: very cool. I'd check the tank
for internal corrosion, considering its age and lack of attention.
I wouldn't want it to explode on you.

The tank is a concern seeing it runs at 150 PSI

Frankly, a damaged/weakened tank would be a "concern" at 20 psi.

- Michael

wallster

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

that's AWESOME! buy it now!.... i'm jealous.

walt

Gunner

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:07:48 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

thats ah..er ahum quite an interesting erm ah...Thingy.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Garrett Fulton

"Waynemak" wrote in message
Thas my thoughts a bit
wrote:

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working,

the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat

bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

thats ah..er ahum quite an interesting erm ah...Thingy.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Buy it. I would. If it's an Allis Chalmers, it's likely a sleeved engine.
They're a pleasure to overhaul and last forever once it's done.

Garrett Fulton

Old Nick

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:07:48 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

The Jackhammer with tools. Is it part of the machine or separate? Does
it work. Is it air, petrol, electric?

Is the cherry picker driven by the machine? How high does it go? I
assume i's hydraulic. If you can get it to some postition where the
force of gravity would cause it to sag, and it doesn't, then the rams
and spools are OK. Done deal.

Do you have use for the periphals? Are you aboe to sell things (I
can't....useless. Magpie by nature.)

Is $1000 important to you?

You are buying an adventure, in the end. Win big time, or spend a lot
of interesting time rebuilding a swiss army knife.

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

Old Nick

On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:07:48 -0400, "Waynemak"
wrote:

Unless those tyres are "solarised" they have to be worth something...

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

John Horner

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

Well worth the $1000 IMO!

John
Bruce L. Bergman

wrote:

Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

Hey neato, a self-contained road crew! Drive up to the hole, hook
up the air and jackhammer it out, haul away the swarf, dump in some
base mix, put the compacting head in the jackhammer and stomp it down,
dump in some hot asphalt, screed it flat, and compact again.

Solves both the 'I need a small tractor' and the 'I need a big air
compressor' problems with one tool.

LeRoi is known for their tow-behind compressors. Let me do some
searching - hey, they have to exist. Wait, Dresser Industries owns
them... No, looks like they got sold to Siebe Industries PLC, and
they have the CompAir division - here's the Google cache of the news
release...

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:4...nc+LeRoi&hl=en

Bingo! http://comp-air.com/7-parts-and-accessories-eng.htm

Okay, spare parts shouldn't be a total nightmare. ;-)

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
jerry wass

Waynemak wrote:
Ok I looked at this big thing that is sure to need some metal working, the
seller and I agreed on whats a fair price now to I show up with a flat bed
and cash or keep walking. take a look
www.motherearthrecycling.net/leroi/leroi.htm

If it has a LeRoi engine, they have been obsolete for at least 10-15 years

Jerry Wass posted:

"If it has a LeRoi engine, they have been obsolete for at least 10-15
years"

Well so has my 1990 Ford Bronco XLT, but still it keeps on ticking and
provides the most cost effective means available for hauling my
6,000-lb sailboat around.

Rugged, quality built equipment is never obsolete -- even the circa
1865 Chandler & Price letter press sitting in my garage, which is still
called into service every couple of years.

The question that nobody has raised is: Does the original poster have
sufficient projects available to justify the need for the $1,000
machine (and likely another $1,000 in repair) which for most of us
would be a 'white elephant' that would add to our existing clutter?
That's the real question.

Harry C.

Emmo

Weeelllll, once he buys the hammer, he will find all kinds of nails... at
least that's true for me...

wrote in message
ups.com...
Jerry Wass posted:

"If it has a LeRoi engine, they have been obsolete for at least 10-15
years"

Well so has my 1990 Ford Bronco XLT, but still it keeps on ticking and
provides the most cost effective means available for hauling my
6,000-lb sailboat around.

Rugged, quality built equipment is never obsolete -- even the circa
1865 Chandler & Price letter press sitting in my garage, which is still
called into service every couple of years.

The question that nobody has raised is: Does the original poster have
sufficient projects available to justify the need for the $1,000
machine (and likely another $1,000 in repair) which for most of us
would be a 'white elephant' that would add to our existing clutter?
That's the real question.

Harry C.

To my last post, let me add this thought.

A small front end loader without a backhoe attachment is of limited
general utility. This is something that should be taken into any
purchasing decision.

Harry C.

Jim & Hils

wrote in message
oups.com...
To my last post, let me add this thought.

A small front end loader without a backhoe attachment is of limited
general utility. This is something that should be taken into any
purchasing decision.

Harry C.

If anyone is considering a backhoe, let me suggest www.cadplans.com . Mine
is the model 821 (see customer machines, third row down, yellow one on the
right) stand alone backhoe and I use it in conjunction with my Kubota B7500.
After using them as separate units, I would never want a backhoe attached to
a tractor again.
Jim
Also see: http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ca...caddigger.html

easy money in 30 days trip Woodworking 3 March 11th 05 04:37 PM
OT - Social Security...Your Money Or Theirs? Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 34 February 11th 05 04:32 AM
21st Century E-Business Money Making Formula NeoTycoon Home Ownership 0 January 19th 05 01:55 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM