Searcher1

Default Argon tank problem

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

Searcher1

JohnM

Searcher1 wrote:
I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

Searcher1

Depends on the supplier.. some may want a POP, others don't care. Did
you acquire the tanks properly? Is there a name on the neck ring? If the
name on the ring is ground off you may not find anyone who'll take them.
If nothing else, buy one new tank and then use that POP for the others-
once you exchange a tank you likely won't see it again, that's common.

John
Don Foreman

On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:59:57 GMT, "Searcher1"
wrote:

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

If someone gave them to you, find out where the tanks were registered
in his name. Then go to that place and ask to have the registration
transferred to you. That worked for me.

After I'd done that, then I got them to transfer the registration from
them to a welding store closer to me. They said they do that all the
time, no problem.
Gary Brady

Searcher1 wrote:

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

Searcher1

It depends on the area. My area is completely open. Bring a bottle in,
somebody grabs it and brings you a full one. No questions asked, no
accounts, no demurrage, no nothing. Bottles can be bought and sold
among individuals. Other places are picky about owner bottles and
assume that if you have it, you stole it. I'd call all the shops in
town and find out if any will fill an owner bottle.

Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Lane

"Gary Brady" wrote in message
nk.net...
Searcher1 wrote:

[...]

Same here, I've dealt with 3 different welding supply shops and no one has
ever asked me.

Lane

DeepDiver

"Searcher1" wrote in message
I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

I have a related question:

I purchased a gas cylinder from a welding supply shop in Texas many years
ago. (It was a used cylinder and my understanding was that, when depleted, I
was to take it back and exchange it for another full used cylinder.) Anyway,
the cylinder I bought was of fairly large capacity (me being a newbie MIG
welder at the time and not knowing how long a cylinder would last) and my
welding requirements have been small so it has lasted a long time. As a
result, the cylinder I bought is well past its hydrostatic test date.

Will I still be able to exchange it for another one? Or will I have to pay a
fee for the hydro test? It seems that I shouldn't have to, since that would
unfairly penalize the poor schmuck who happens to get a used cylinder right
before the hydro expires. But then again, I've long learned that logic and
practice do not always go hand-in-hand.

While on this subject, I have another related question:

Is it possible to exchange a large cylinder for a couple of smaller ones (of
course, paying the cost difference)? I'm sure this will depend on the
policies of the company, I'm just wondering if anyone has done it or heard
of it being done.

Thanks,
Michael

Richard J Kinch

DeepDiver writes:

Will I still be able to exchange it for another one? Or will I have to
pay a fee for the hydro test?

Depends on the vendor. I'm somewhat like you in keeping tanks for years,
until the hydro is dated, but I've never been questioned in swapping them
for filled-with-fresh-hydro tanks. Most gas suppliers seem to expect to
make money on the gas itself and not on the tank-swapping or hydro testing.
As a customer, I appreciate that because it would be a nuisance to be
always concerned about it and dickering over it.
Eric R Snow

wrote:

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

Searcher1

I'm in the Seattle, Wa area, actually about 30 miles north. Mostly I
go to Central welding. I called about buying some used bottles because
I didn't want to buy any stolen bottles. Central told me that they
have Owner bottles and Rental or Lease bottles. The Owner bottles are
different sizes than the Rental or Lease bottles. So even though there
are several sizes of each there are no overlaps. This way, if someone
steals a Leased or Rented bottle and tries to get it filled they know
just from the size that it's not an Owner bottle. They will ask you
who you are or who you represent and if they don't know you by sight
will ask for ID. If it doesn't match with the bottle they confiscate
it. And maybe call the police. If it's an Owner size though they will
just fill it or exchange it. When I called Central about buying used
bottles they told me how to identify them to make sure I wasn't buying
a Rental or Leased bottle, because only Owner bottles can be sold.
Central told me that the other gas suppliers in the area use the same
system. It seems to be true too, because I had no trouble exchanging
my bottles filled at Central at Airgas and then later taking the
Airgas filled bottle to Central for exchange.
Eric R Snow
Keith Marshall

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

If your tank is 125 CF or smaller and you have a Tractor Supply store nearby
take it there. They now have a program where they'll take any other
company's tank as long as you sign a form stating that you are the rightful
owner of it and their gas prices are better than most local welding
suppliers unless you buy large quantities and get a great discount.

They don't have pure argon but you really don't want that for MIG anyway.
You want C25 which is a 75% argon / 25% CO2 mix and they do sell that.

They're also open on weekends for when you run out of gas in the middle of a
project! :-)

If your tank is larger than 125 CF then it may very well be a leased tank
and you shouldn't have it. And instead of getting it filled you'll have to
swap it out for a full one and the only place that will likely swap it out
is the company that it was leased from.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Bob Engelhardt

This is what I was told in a local shop: bottles smaller than 80 cu ft
are always owner bottles. Larger that 80 are always rent/lease bottles
(exception - there are some large military surplus bottles that can be
owned). 80 cu ft can be either owner or lease. The guy said that this
was federal regulation, but I'm not sure that I believe that.

Bob

Searcher1

Ok, Thanks for the quick info. I will just happen to stop by and try to
have it exchanged. See what happens. I haven't picked up the tanks yet, so I
have no idea as the the neck ring information. If I cannot decipher the
info look for me to ask yet another question.

Searcher1

DeepDiver

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
This is what I was told in a local shop: bottles smaller than 80 cu ft
are always owner bottles. Larger that 80 are always rent/lease bottles
(exception - there are some large military surplus bottles that can be
owned). 80 cu ft can be either owner or lease. The guy said that this
was federal regulation, but I'm not sure that I believe that.

Nope. I bought mine from a gas supplier. I just checked it: 125 cu-ft.

- Michael

lionslair at consolidated dot net

wrote:

I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

If someone gave them to you, find out where the tanks were registered
in his name. Then go to that place and ask to have the registration
transferred to you. That worked for me.

After I'd done that, then I got them to transfer the registration from
them to a welding store closer to me. They said they do that all the
time, no problem.

My local supply asked if the ring had a name - no slick ring. And I have the
sales document showing size and what was in it. Slick ring - No problem. Anytime.
So I will copy the sales slip and provide that if needed. Still, I won't need
gas for some time unless the value is open. Nice large tank, and low usage.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

This is what I was told in a local shop: bottles smaller than 80 cu ft
are always owner bottles. Larger that 80 are always rent/lease bottles
(exception - there are some large military surplus bottles that can be
owned). 80 cu ft can be either owner or lease. The guy said that this
was federal regulation, but I'm not sure that I believe that.

Bob

Hum - I have a 250 - and it is slick neck owner COC cash over counter that's me.
So it might depend on what you are doing, what they have and such.
My guy wasn't open on weekends so maybe the large tank - not all that big
lasts until a vacation day for me during the week...
I verified I paid for just under 300 CF of gas. I think the tanks in Hardware
stores and stuff - pony size I've heard - might be 80's. About the size
of a Nitrogen bottle from COKE ?

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Don Foreman

On Tue, 24 May 2005 02:26:24 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
This is what I was told in a local shop: bottles smaller than 80 cu ft
are always owner bottles. Larger that 80 are always rent/lease bottles
(exception - there are some large military surplus bottles that can be
owned). 80 cu ft can be either owner or lease. The guy said that this
was federal regulation, but I'm not sure that I believe that.

Nope. I bought mine from a gas supplier. I just checked it: 125 cu-ft.

Me too. Have two of 'em, oxy and argon. Also a 110 acetylene.

Don Foreman

On Tue, 24 May 2005 00:24:06 GMT, "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Searcher1" wrote in message
[...]

It depends entirely on the dealer. What some dealers are doing now
is charging an annual "maintenance" fee which, over a period of 10
years or so, more than offsets the cost of a hydro test. They may
waive the hydro charge for you but want to bill you a few bux annually
thereafter. I think the annual fee on my argon tank is about 7 bux.
They haven't caught up with me yet on the oxy tank.

They might give you credit on your expired tank on new smaller ones,
less the hydro charge. An advantage to smaller tanks is that
they're not t dated. I know 40's are that way, don't know about
80's. Disadvantage is that the cost to fill them isn't much less
than for larger tanks.
Eric R Snow

wrote:

"Searcher1" wrote in message
[...]

When I bought used bottles that were past the hydro date the guy said
he should charge but would just exchange it this time. If I buy a new
bottle and wait for it to be filled every time then when it comes time
for hydro I would have to pay. But if I buy a new bottle and exchange
it for a full used one then I'll never have to pay. The old used
bottles I brought in were so far out of date he knew that they had not
been filled in a long time. The acetylene bottle even had dried mud in
the threads. He said that their policy was to charge for the first
hydro on bottles that old, especially since they had originally been
sold by a different company. But since I'd been in there a lot buying
argon and other welding stuff he just let it go.
ERS
Rex B

It depends entirely on the dealer. What some dealers are doing now
is charging an annual "maintenance" fee which, over a period of 10
years or so, more than offsets the cost of a hydro test. They may
waive the hydro charge for you but want to bill you a few bux annually
thereafter. I think the annual fee on my argon tank is about 7 bux.
They haven't caught up with me yet on the oxy tank.

They might give you credit on your expired tank on new smaller ones,
less the hydro charge. An advantage to smaller tanks is that
they're not t dated. I know 40's are that way, don't know about
80's. Disadvantage is that the cost to fill them isn't much less
than for larger tanks.

Sounds like Tractor Supply may put a stop to a lot of that nonsense.
Gunner

On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:58:06 -0500, Rex B wrote:

It depends entirely on the dealer. What some dealers are doing now
is charging an annual "maintenance" fee which, over a period of 10
years or so, more than offsets the cost of a hydro test. They may
waive the hydro charge for you but want to bill you a few bux annually
thereafter. I think the annual fee on my argon tank is about 7 bux.
They haven't caught up with me yet on the oxy tank.

They might give you credit on your expired tank on new smaller ones,
less the hydro charge. An advantage to smaller tanks is that
they're not t dated. I know 40's are that way, don't know about
80's. Disadvantage is that the cost to fill them isn't much less
than for larger tanks.

Sounds like Tractor Supply may put a stop to a lot of that nonsense.

On a side note..I had a bottle of O2 a year or two ago, that was
manufactured in 1939, had Nazi proof marks on it. The hydro dates ran
around the bottle. Ive often wondered where that one came from, and
how it got into the system.

Gunner

"Considering the events of recent years,
the world has a long way to go to regain
its credibility and reputation with the US."
unknown
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:16:24 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On a side note..I had a bottle of O2 a year or two ago, that was
manufactured in 1939, had Nazi proof marks on it. The hydro dates ran
around the bottle. Ive often wondered where that one came from, and
how it got into the system.

I think I might have held on to that one, myself. Some interesting
history there.

Wayne Cook

wrote:

[...]

There's lots of those still in the system. Actually a lot of them
have had the proof mark modified so that it looks like four boxes. My
understanding is that the government brought the bottles back over
here after the war and companies bought them for next to nothing when
the government got rid of them. I know that Linde bought a bunch of
them.

..

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook
Mike Fields

wrote:

I'm in the Seattle, Wa area, actually about 30 miles north. Mostly I
go to Central welding. I called about buying some used bottles because

Do you use the one in Everett or the one in Lynnwood more ??
(the Lynnwood one is dangerous -- too close to Costco ! )

mikey

Gary

That Swaztika doesn't mean it was a Nazi tank. I ran across one like
it a few years ago. The Swaztika is also a Navaho symbol. It didn't
used to have any bad conotations before about 1939.
73 Gary

Gary

Oh by the way I saw a Swaztika inspector's stamp in an old McMaster
Carr Catalog. The hamer type with the Swaztika on one end.

William

wrote:

"Searcher1" wrote in message
[...]

I HOPE they didn't try to screw you on a hydro on the acetylene ??

William....

Eric R Snow

On Wed, 25 May 2005 08:06:59 GMT, "William"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Searcher1" wrote in message
[...]

No. They didn't. Central is a good outfit.
ERS
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Dave Hinz wrote back on 24
May 2005 17:19:16 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Tue, 24 May 2005 17:16:24 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On a side note..I had a bottle of O2 a year or two ago, that was
manufactured in 1939, had Nazi proof marks on it. The hydro dates ran
around the bottle. Ive often wondered where that one came from, and
how it got into the system.

I think I might have held on to that one, myself. Some interesting
history there.

"Some". But without knowing it, all you have is a German made Oxy
bottle made in 1939. "They made them well in the old days."
As far as you know, it was made in 1939, 'sold' to Hanz und Franz
Schmuckerei, who used it occasionally to make Jewelry, and was grabbed in
1947 by Sgt Gooberstein, who needed an O2 tank for his family's jewelry
shop. And from there, it went into the normal channels till Gunner got it.

Somewhere out there, are twenty dollar bills signed by Martha Rae.
Apparently, when she played poker with "the boys" up in the firebases, she
was a lousy poker player :-). And the "boys" often hung on to those
twenties till they absolutely had to spend them.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that "Gary" wrote back on 24 May 2005
20:40:34 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
That Swaztika doesn't mean it was a Nazi tank. I ran across one like
it a few years ago. The Swaztika is also a Navaho symbol. It didn't
used to have any bad conotations before about 1939.

Graphic Novel I read had a depiction of a 1927 political rally in
Berlin, and one of the passer by, holding one of the little Nazi party
flags, is thinking "Buddhist Socialists?"

tschus
pyotr

--
Sometimes fate hits you with the Clown Hammer of Circumstance
and there's nothing to do but sit there and watch the little

Pressure tank Mike Home Repair 9 March 26th 05 07:36 PM
water softener problem, water empties from holding tank Bill Home Repair 1 March 19th 05 06:32 PM
preparing a propane tank for reusal .. pix Grant Erwin Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:54 PM
DIY Heat Bank/Thermal Store system? (longish) Gordon Henderson UK diy 4 January 26th 05 07:32 AM
Central Heating Problem Barry Ashcroft UK diy 3 November 12th 03 09:24 AM