DeepDiver

"Searcher1" wrote in message
news:xnske.3645$gl1.1597@trnddc09...
I recently got a large tank bout 4 ft tall. ( new at welding ) I got the
tank for free, actually I got 4 tanks. But I really need one filled with
argon for my mig. I went to the local refiller and was told that he nor
anyone else would refill my tank unless I provided proof of purchase. What
gives, Do I have to actually buy a new tank or is this guy pullin my chain?

I have a related question:

I purchased a gas cylinder from a welding supply shop in Texas many years
ago. (It was a used cylinder and my understanding was that, when depleted, I
was to take it back and exchange it for another full used cylinder.) Anyway,
the cylinder I bought was of fairly large capacity (me being a newbie MIG
welder at the time and not knowing how long a cylinder would last) and my
welding requirements have been small so it has lasted a long time. As a
result, the cylinder I bought is well past its hydrostatic test date.

Will I still be able to exchange it for another one? Or will I have to pay a
fee for the hydro test? It seems that I shouldn't have to, since that would
unfairly penalize the poor schmuck who happens to get a used cylinder right
before the hydro expires. But then again, I've long learned that logic and
practice do not always go hand-in-hand.

While on this subject, I have another related question:

Is it possible to exchange a large cylinder for a couple of smaller ones (of
course, paying the cost difference)? I'm sure this will depend on the
policies of the company, I'm just wondering if anyone has done it or heard
of it being done.

Thanks,
Michael