Gunner

Default Drafting Plotter

On Sat, 7 May 2005 07:56:48 -0600, "Kweta Smolek"
wrote:

Roland Digital Group Drafting Plotter

Roland GRX 400 Drafting Ploter 40in. Bed 47 High 9.5 wide.
A1 shape works well
300. 00 takes it.

Call.306-789-2897 ask for Rick

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Gunner

On Sat, 7 May 2005 19:31:05 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

Is that a pen or ink jet plotter?

.. .
wrote:

Roland Digital Group Drafting Plotter

Roland GRX 400 Drafting Ploter 40in. Bed 47 High 9.5 wide.
A1 shape works well
300. 00 takes it.

Call.306-789-2897 ask for Rick

Email the original poster and ask.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill
Tom Miller

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 May 2005 19:31:05 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

The Roland GRX 400 is an 8 pen plotter

Is that a pen or ink jet plotter?

.. .
wrote:

Roland Digital Group Drafting Plotter

Roland GRX 400 Drafting Ploter 40in. Bed 47 High 9.5 wide.
A1 shape works well
300. 00 takes it.

Call.306-789-2897 ask for Rick

Email the original poster and ask.

Gunner

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and

degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling
which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has

nothing for which he is willing to fight,
nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a

miserable creature and has no chance of being
free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."
- John Stewart Mill

Dale Hallmark

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply. $300 for a pen plotter sounds a bit pricey to me. Do they
really bring that much?

$300?
I have a HP 7200 8 pen plotter. It is in storage and hasn't been used in years.
It worked fine the last time I used it; I quit using it for the convenience and
speed of an Ink Jet.

If you are anywhere near the panhandle of Texas (N of Amarillo), drop by and you can
have it free
or anyone else that wants it for that matter.

Dale Hallmark
That's what I think they are worth :-)

Steve Walker

Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Mike Henry" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. $300 for a pen plotter sounds a bit pricey to me. Do they
really bring that much?

$300?
I have a HP 7200 8 pen plotter. It is in storage and hasn't been used in years.
It worked fine the last time I used it; I quit using it for the convenience and
speed of an Ink Jet.

If you are anywhere near the panhandle of Texas (N of Amarillo), drop by and you can
have it free
or anyone else that wants it for that matter.

Dale Hallmark
That's what I think they are worth :-)

Do you remember what model number it is?

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Dale Hallmark

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Mike Henry" wrote in message

Thanks for the reply. $300 for a pen plotter sounds a bit pricey to me.
Do they really bring that much?

$300?
I have a HP 7200 8 pen plotter. It is in storage and hasn't been used in
years.
It worked fine the last time I used it; I quit using it for the
convenience and speed of an Ink Jet.

If you are anywhere near the panhandle of Texas (N of Amarillo), drop by
and you can have it free
or anyone else that wants it for that matter.

Dale Hallmark
That's what I think they are worth :-)

Do you remember what model number it is?

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

I thought that was what the 7200 was?
It will take a 3 foot wide paper. I don't remember it going wider
but I think it would do a 3 x 4 paper. Won't do a roll.

Come to think of it .....I think it is a sumi graphic (sp?) and not an HP.
I will look tomorrow. Like I said I haven't used it in years!

Dale

Mike Henry

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall.cableone.net wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply. $300 for a pen plotter sounds a bit pricey to me.
Do they really bring that much?

$300?
I have a HP 7200 8 pen plotter. It is in storage and hasn't been used in
years.
It worked fine the last time I used it; I quit using it for the
convenience and speed of an Ink Jet.

If you are anywhere near the panhandle of Texas (N of Amarillo), drop by
and you can have it free
or anyone else that wants it for that matter.

Sorry - I already have an HP desktop pen plotter sitting on the shelf and
that's probably worth less than yours, if that's possible.

Mike

Dale Hallmark

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Sorry - I already have an HP desktop pen plotter sitting on the shelf and
that's probably worth less than yours, if that's possible.

Mike

Yeah, I have tried to give it away before and had no luck then either. I
hate to just throw it away however.
Maybe someday I will see if it has any interesting pieces in its
construction that I can scrounge
for something else.

Dale.

Mike Henry

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Sorry - I already have an HP desktop pen plotter sitting on the shelf and
that's probably worth less than yours, if that's possible.

Mike

Yeah, I have tried to give it away before and had no luck then either. I
hate to just throw it away however.
Maybe someday I will see if it has any interesting pieces in its
construction that I can scrounge
for something else.

Dale,

If we wait another 10-20 years, they'll probably bring something on Ebay,
assuming they make it that long.

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to see what the pens
and paper fetch today, assuming you have any of that lying around.

Mike

Ernie Leimkuhler

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Sorry - I already have an HP desktop pen plotter sitting on the shelf and
that's probably worth less than yours, if that's possible.

Mike

Yeah, I have tried to give it away before and had no luck then either. I
hate to just throw it away however.
Maybe someday I will see if it has any interesting pieces in its
construction that I can scrounge
for something else.

Dale,

If we wait another 10-20 years, they'll probably bring something on Ebay,
assuming they make it that long.

Come to think of it, it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to see what the pens
and paper fetch today, assuming you have any of that lying around.

Mike

I have a Calcomp 2036, E-size,8-pen plotter, and I use it almost every
day.
I run it off my Mac, and use for all sorts of CAD drawings and sheet
metal layouts.
It is so accurate I plot things life size and spray adhesive the paper
to the sheet metal.
Just cut to the lines and it is perfect every time.
Really great for multiple hole layouts.

Pen plotters rock.

Inkjets suck eggs.
Tom Miller

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
[...]

I still have a GRX 400. Its handy for checking drawings before you send
stuff out for laser or waterjet cutting. Plot it out full size and make sure
it fits. I'm doing that for the top of a boiler for a Sentinel steam truck
this week. I do a bit of work as a volunteer for the local science museum

Dale Hallmark

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message
In article , Mike Henry
wrote:

Snip

Pen plotters rock.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Not for what I use them for.
I do full color land/cultural/topo feature maps in Arc-View up to 3' x 9'.
When ready to print, maybe 10 min to have it finished.
Pen plotters can't even do that. Well none I used could, or
maybe it was the software that was lacking?

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

Dale Hallmark

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
Do you remember what model number it is?
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Ok I looked at it this morning.
It is a HiPlot 7200 Summagraphics.
It is about 4 foot tall, 5 foot long and about 2 foot wide.
A little dusty but nothing bad seems to have happened to it
in the shop.

Dale

Cliff

On Mon, 09 May 2005 05:17:30 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

Pen plotters rock.

You can easily make confetti ......
--
Cliff
Cliff

On Sun, 8 May 2005 19:24:17 -0500, "Dale Hallmark"
wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
Sorry - I already have an HP desktop pen plotter sitting on the shelf and
that's probably worth less than yours, if that's possible.

Mike

Yeah, I have tried to give it away before and had no luck then either. I
hate to just throw it away however.
Maybe someday I will see if it has any interesting pieces in its
construction that I can scrounge
for something else.

Sell it as a router kit, minus a few parts G.
--
Cliff
Ecnerwal

In article ,
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:
It is so accurate I plot things life size and spray adhesive the paper
to the sheet metal.
Just cut to the lines and it is perfect every time.
Really great for multiple hole layouts.

A flatbed can also be used with resist ink to directly plot printed
circuits (right on the board) for etching. Great for 1-offs.
Unfortunately, that setup belonged to 3 jobs or so ago, not to me.
Steve Walker

Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Do you remember what model number it is?
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Ok I looked at it this morning.
It is a HiPlot 7200 Summagraphics.
It is about 4 foot tall, 5 foot long and about 2 foot wide.
A little dusty but nothing bad seems to have happened to it
in the shop.

Dale

Dang. Probly cost couple hunnerd shipping. I live in Michigan.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)
Dale Hallmark

Dale Hallmark wrote:
"Steve Walker" wrote in message

Do you remember what model number it is?
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

Ok I looked at it this morning.
It is a HiPlot 7200 Summagraphics.
It is about 4 foot tall, 5 foot long and about 2 foot wide.
A little dusty but nothing bad seems to have happened to it
in the shop.

Dale

Dang. Probly cost couple hunnerd shipping. I live in Michigan.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)

I wouldn't be surprised!

Dale

Mike Henry

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't really checked but the output from an old HP Designjet seems to be
dimensionally accurate, though I have heard that inkjet and laser printers
can be off a bit.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Well, the inkjet was able to print out a poster-size digital picture of an
old Clausing horizontal mill - a pen plotter would have a hard time with
that one I think. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Do you think an old pen plotter is worth $300? Do you have any trouble
finding pens for your Calcomp?

Mike

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

[...]

Guess I have an E-size Easter Egg. Waiting for adjustment to fix it after relocation bangs.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote:

Snip

Pen plotters rock.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Not for what I use them for.
I do full color land/cultural/topo feature maps in Arc-View up to 3' x 9'.
When ready to print, maybe 10 min to have it finished.
Pen plotters can't even do that. Well none I used could, or
maybe it was the software that was lacking?

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

On a strictly line drawing I would put money on my Calcomp, but
nowadays everybody wants pretty pictures and huge blocks of text on
their architectural drawings, and for that Inkjets win.

And of course Pen Plotters are a hoot to watch.
Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote:

Pen plotters rock.

I haven't really checked but the output from an old HP Designjet seems to be
dimensionally accurate, though I have heard that inkjet and laser printers
can be off a bit.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Well, the inkjet was able to print out a poster-size digital picture of an
old Clausing horizontal mill - a pen plotter would have a hard time with
that one I think. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Do you think an old pen plotter is worth $300? Do you have any trouble
finding pens for your Calcomp?

Mike

I paid $500 for my Calcomp 7 years ago, and I feel like I got one hell
of a deal for a $5000, 5 year old plotter in perfect shape.

Pens are easy to get from Technical Art supply shops or online dealers.

For quick line drawings, pen plotters are faster and more accurate than
inkjets, but inkjets win on pretty pictures and big text blocks.
Bugs

You got that right! When I bought my calComp 8 pen plotter the salesman
was pushing ink jets. He ran a demo for me in the store. The solids had
three big streaks from plugged jets. With the pen plotter, I can use
ink pens, ball points, felt tips and could probably do needle engraving
on light sheet metal. Someday I will build a mini router mount and try
exotic wood & metal carving.
Bugs

Boris Mohar

On Tue, 10 May 2005 05:56:10 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
wrote:

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

On a strictly line drawing I would put money on my Calcomp, but
nowadays everybody wants pretty pictures and huge blocks of text on
their architectural drawings, and for that Inkjets win.

And of course Pen Plotters are a hoot to watch.

There is a plotter emulator available from

http://www.concentric.net/~ravitz/

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Dale Hallmark

wrote:

Snip

Pen plotters rock.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Not for what I use them for.
I do full color land/cultural/topo feature maps in Arc-View up to 3' x 9'.
When ready to print, maybe 10 min to have it finished.
Pen plotters can't even do that. Well none I used could, or
maybe it was the software that was lacking?

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

On a strictly line drawing I would put money on my Calcomp, but
nowadays everybody wants pretty pictures and huge blocks of text on
their architectural drawings, and for that Inkjets win.

And of course Pen Plotters are a hoot to watch.

If I ever had anyone in the office when the old pen plotter started...
I knew they were going to be there for a while!
Even after perhaps thousands of drawings,
I still get a kick out of watching one work ;-)

Dale

Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

On a strictly line drawing I would put money on my Calcomp, but
nowadays everybody wants pretty pictures and huge blocks of text on
their architectural drawings, and for that Inkjets win.

And of course Pen Plotters are a hoot to watch.

There is a plotter emulator available from

http://www.concentric.net/~ravitz/

You can't cut vinyl signs with an inkjet printer (but you may be able
to print banners).

Billboards these days are printed on rolls of vinyl using huge inkjet
printers.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

wrote:

Snip

Pen plotters rock.

Inkjets suck eggs.

Not for what I use them for.
I do full color land/cultural/topo feature maps in Arc-View up to 3' x 9'.
When ready to print, maybe 10 min to have it finished.
Pen plotters can't even do that. Well none I used could, or
maybe it was the software that was lacking?

As for accuracy of line, Pen plotters are the undisputed Champion.
As for speed of completing a complicated drawing, inkjet wins every time.

Dale

On a strictly line drawing I would put money on my Calcomp, but
nowadays everybody wants pretty pictures and huge blocks of text on
their architectural drawings, and for that Inkjets win.

And of course Pen Plotters are a hoot to watch.

I bet - But on an 8 x 10' table - they are a real artful thing drawing IC paths
or buildings. The table was in the IT offices and various engineering labs
would batch jobs for the 'operator' to process. It was great to get a simple
this or that and get to see what the Grads were working on. I think it was a
Calcomp - driven by IBM naturally.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

"Mike Henry" wrote in message

[...]

But my Plasma CNC blows fire! a 4' x 4' model.
This the reason I got the E0 size plotter.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Drafting Services Anthony M. Ippolito Home Repair 3 May 5th 05 04:53 AM
display from HP plotter Paul and Paula Electronics Repair 0 April 26th 05 03:48 AM
Pen plotter Markgengine Metalworking 1 July 15th 04 07:24 PM
Mutoh plotter Markgengine Electronics Repair 0 June 29th 04 09:09 PM
Gear drafting and design software William R. Kummer Metalworking 4 November 12th 03 04:29 PM