William R. Kummer

Default Gear drafting and design software

Does anyone know of any good drafting software that you can design gears
with and save them in a format that can be edited by autocad 2001?
thanks in advance for any info.

James P Crombie

The only gear design plugin I have seen is one for Rhinoceros, I have
tried the demo and it works really well. But is $300 :-(
http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/di...e=&listing=102
One problem is the demo is for Rhino 2 and will not work with the newer
rhino 3.

William R. Kummer wrote:
Does anyone know of any good drafting software that you can design gears
with and save them in a format that can be edited by autocad 2001?
thanks in advance for any info.

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer
Canada 3D Designer

E-mail
Astronomy webpage
http://www.jamescrombie.com
Rhinoceros 3D webpage http://www.jamescrombie.com/rhino/
Mirror Grinder page http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/

Mike Henry

I don't believe that it has any specific features for gear design but Alibre
is a pretty decent 3D mechanical CAD package that can easily generate 2D CAD
drawings and that can export to DWG or DXF file formats. It will generate
features in a radial pattern, so I'd guess that could be used to design
gears. They have a 30-day fully functional trial version that is available
as a download and several downloadable tutorials that should give you a good
feel for the product in a few hours. There's also a Yahoo Alibre user group
that will give you a feel for what concerns users.

It runs around $700 for the basic package and $1,000 for the pro version,
which adds a parts library, photorendering, sheet metal design, and limited
CAM and FEA utilities. Alibre has a marketing program wherein existing
users can refer potential users to the software and each will receive a 20%
discount or rebate. I don't want to shill the product but as an existing
user I wouldn't mind getting a piece of that action if you are interested.

Mike

"William R. Kummer" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any good drafting software that you can design gears
with and save them in a format that can be edited by autocad 2001?
thanks in advance for any info.

Johannes Line

Try TurboCAD v9.2 pro. It have a program for drawing gears and you can save
it in many formats. http://www.imsisoft.com/ Tey also have a free trial
version.
Regards Johs.